318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Electrical

Notices

Electrical All wiring questions.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 99,239 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 62,197 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 59,464 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-08-2006, 11:56 PM   #1
Gen

Default odometer light replace - instrument cluster removal

Yesterday, I was trying to replace odometer light on the back-side of the instrument cluster for 96 318ti hatch-back, but I gave up.
I could remove the instrument cluster and 3 wire connectors by reaching my hands behind of it, but the instrument cluster did not come out from the space between the dash board and steering wheel.
I read in the web, someone actually removed the instrument cluster without removing the steering wheel, but I don’t see how?
Removing the steering wheel is easy?
I am afraid to do it because of Airbag.
Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 04:11 PM   #2
Adog2107

You need to remove (6 or 8?) little star key screws in the back.....separate it in half and the top pops off (jsut plastic) take off the top piece then reach back in and take out rear section with gauges

Quote:
Note: It is not necessary to take the cluster apart to replace a bulb. You do need to take it apart if installing chrome rings or fixing the overlay.

...steven
Adog2107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:29 PM   #3
SlickmisterN

WTF? I just did this yesterday, there are too many goddamn people giving out false information. There are only two (2) torx T20 screws at the top of the cluster on either side. Once removed you can use some sort of thin pry tool to grab one of the screw holes and gently pull it towards the wheel sliding it forward. There are the three (3) slide connectors on the back that are kinda hard to get at and must be removed. After that you've got to use some force and manipulate the wheel to where you can get the metal protrusion for the torx screw over and out of the way of the steering wheel, then its smooth sailing. I used lots of electric tape to protect the dash and what not. No matter what the dealer says the bulb is a 12v1.5 bulb with beige base not the 12v1.2 with black base. The dealer insisted they were right and I had to make a second trip down there to school the lazy mofo at the parts counter who wouldn't look up the bulb for me "because he was positive."
SlickmisterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:00 PM   #4
jackem

+1 on SlickmisterN's Procedure!

Sorry to bring up an old thread - bu it deserved a big thumbs up!

Worked like a charm. Not a hard job even for someone limited wrenching skills. No need to pull the wheel off. He was even right about the dealer doing his best to convince me that I had the wrong bulbs. Everything is working perfectly on my car now.

Thanks man!!!
jackem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
usmcsgtftl

Default Thanks!

There's nothing like good info being passed down to us newbies. I didn't have any trouble at all doing this. Thanks for keeping this thread around to help!
usmcsgtftl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:09 PM   #6
Uptowngurl
Banned

Whether you are replacing a broken steering wheel, or just planning to replace the old wheel with a brand new customized one, you will need to buy the new steering wheel even before you get into the task. At the time of purchasing the wheel, make sure you get one that fits the make and model of your vehicle. Keep tools like pliers, pullers and screwdrivers handy.
Uptowngurl is offline   Reply With Quote