318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 98,911 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 61,818 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 59,122 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-17-2017, 06:42 PM   #1
rookie_98

Question Back from the dead!

Hello everyone! I'll start off with a quick story to let you guys know why i've gone missing and why i'm back.

Back in 2011 i bought a TI that i really liked but could never get up to be a reliable running car. It had a rough idle and wouldn't run for long so i decided to take it to a friend who had a shop. Red flags all over the place but i had nowhere else to go (budget and just overall knowledge)...mind you this was in the El Paso area.

Long story short, the car sat at the shop for so long that by that time i moved to Dallas and couldn't check in on it as frequently as before. Next thing i know by my next visit the garage is no longer there and the shop owner John has been in some trouble with the law. DWI etc, street racing, etc. I finally manage to find him at his new garage and he tells me my car has been towed by the city and he has no way of retrieving it. Title wasn't under my name yet since i couldn't pass inspection/registration so there was nothing i could do. My car was impounded and probably crushed or scrapped by then. I gave up on the M44 engine forever and vowed to never touch one of those again.

Fast forward some years later and here I am, bought a 318is with the same m44 engine i vowed never to touch and am kind of in the same predicament. Now this being Dallas i figure i can find someone to help me out but decided to come to the M44 experts for my search.

If you all could please point me in the direction of someone that can help i will forever be grateful. I hope this round 2 with the m44 goes my way this time since i really want to enjoy my (new to me) driver and hopefully put some fun miles on it.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE EVERYONE. I hope this is still the same great group from before

-Erick
rookie_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:20 PM   #2
anassa

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie_98 View Post
Hello everyone! I'll start off with a quick story to let you guys know why i've gone missing and why i'm back.

Back in 2011 i bought a TI that i really liked but could never get up to be a reliable running car. It had a rough idle and wouldn't run for long so i decided to take it to a friend who had a shop. Red flags all over the place but i had nowhere else to go (budget and just overall knowledge)...mind you this was in the El Paso area.

Long story short, the car sat at the shop for so long that by that time i moved to Dallas and couldn't check in on it as frequently as before. Next thing i know by my next visit the garage is no longer there and the shop owner John has been in some trouble with the law. DWI etc, street racing, etc. I finally manage to find him at his new garage and he tells me my car has been towed by the city and he has no way of retrieving it. Title wasn't under my name yet since i couldn't pass inspection/registration so there was nothing i could do. My car was impounded and probably crushed or scrapped by then. I gave up on the M44 engine forever and vowed to never touch one of those again.

Fast forward some years later and here I am, bought a 318is with the same m44 engine i vowed never to touch and am kind of in the same predicament. Now this being Dallas i figure i can find someone to help me out but decided to come to the M44 experts for my search.

If you all could please point me in the direction of someone that can help i will forever be grateful. I hope this round 2 with the m44 goes my way this time since i really want to enjoy my (new to me) driver and hopefully put some fun miles on it.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE EVERYONE. I hope this is still the same great group from before

-Erick
Welcome back!!

You can check out http://www.m42club.com/forum/index.php
The m42 is very close to the m44 and I am sure guys there know a LOT about the m44 too.

I just wonder, why the m44? What brings you to buy a 318is? vs 328/325/etc?

Oh and check your cooling system! Make sure its all good, or else you will have troubles again!

***328ti Build thread. ***

Even more important:
SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
anassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:39 PM   #3
rookie_98

I'll definitely check it out. So far it looks like it's a headgasket but not having a place to work on my car is killing me. Can't even look at my car outside and think about working on it before my HOA is already breathing down my neck...
rookie_98 is offline   Reply With Quote