318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Today 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 939,005 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,600 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-31-2008, 08:52 PM   #1
wls318ti

Default Rough Idle and dies

Well it finally happened. The '95 ti lost power while driving on the freeway. Merged right and coasted to stop. Attempt after attempt to start with no luck which led to the tow home (CEL now on). Scanned for faults with one code O2 sensor fault. With fault code cleared and engine cold, attempted to start. Engined turned but wouldn't run. The 02 sensor doesn't send input until engine is warmed and sensor reaches 565 deg. and is new. I then check fuel system and found that my fuel pump was shot. New pump installed and did a little tuning. Replaced fuel filter, sparked plugs (correctly gapped), and wires. Allowed fuel pump to prime, purging out any air before starting. Went to start and it started. Except with a very rough idle around 400 rpm. I apply the gas peddle and it stalls. Won't start. Check plugs and there wet. Dry plugs and reinsert. Engine start again but has that same rough idle and dies. Again plugs wet and process starts over again. If the car ran perfectly fine before pump went out and nothing else was replaced except fuel pump, filter, plugs and wires (which are correctly gapped, in proper firing order, have spark) why doesn't it stay running longer than a couple minutes so the ECU can reboot any fault codes
wls318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:27 PM   #2
tiFreak

Vehicles

I'm thinking it's your intake boot's cracked, but normally when that happens you can still start the car, you just have to give it more gas
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:27 PM   #3
wls318ti

Default intake boot

Yes! Before I change the fuel pump I did notice that the intake boot was in bad shape and was like this for some time and the engine ran fine. So upon ordering fuel pump and filter a new intake boot was also ordered and all parts replaced. The only thing I didn't replace was the fuel regulator which is next. I have also noticed that some of the vacuum hoses are not in good shape either. I will replace hoses, clean ICV, replace regulator, inspect injectors and hose and go from there.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:36 PM   #4
wls318ti

I decided to inspect the ICV and everything under the intake. Replaced all vacuum hoses, cleaned ICV and installed new PCV and fuel pressure regulator. Buttoned everything back up and BAM! It started and remained started, only to now idle around 1 grand with a rough sputter even with rev up of engine. I let the engine idle for fifteen minutes to allow ECU to readjust. Then CE light came on. The fault code was a Emission (lambda) Control. Cleared code. Started engine and with in 5 minutes CE was on. Same code. All hoses and connections where fine. Checked reference voltage at MAS with 5v dc. Resistance remained steady. Restarted engine and watched vain door swing while apply gas. Turned off engine and watched for glow on heater. MAS works. Will now slide underneath vehicle and check for reference voltage and any resistance on O2 sensor. All is good with sensor. With engine having rough idle and sputter will now have to replace 2 if not all fuel injectors due to eternal leakage and very wet#3 and #4 plugs #1 and #2 dry. Does any one know what exactly is EMISSION (LAMBDA) CONTROL?
Old 04-14-2008, 11:23 PM   #5
wls318ti

Well it turns out that the word Lambda is greek which means change. And it relates to the 02 sensors. So I order another sensor and hope that cures CE. And now that the car starts and runs without stopping, except for the rough idle still and a couple of wet plugs. I now have to pull and inspect fuel injectors. And I have a feeling that two for sure will need replaced. Bavarian auto quotes BMW $127.00 a piece and if you have them ordered through Bosch its about $103.00. Now just have to wait for parts
Old 04-15-2008, 01:16 AM   #6
b.u.ti-ful

Thanks for following up - good luck and let us know what happens.

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
b.u.ti-ful is offline   Reply With Quote