318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > I'm thinking about buying a ti.

Notices

I'm thinking about buying a ti. Ask all your questions about the possible purchase of a ti. Keep in mind, we are biased.

» Recent Threads
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 364,640 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 11-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
Reguile

Default About to buy a TI, and New here!

1999 BMW 318ti, (of course w/ sports package due to it being standard.)
Blue ext, black int, 5 speed!, 121k miles.
Few dings, the rims are too wide on it I believe, it rubs against the fender on bumps. He said they're from the 5 series, specs are.. 235 / 45 / 17.. I plan on getting new rims eventually, so it's not a big deal and the fender isn't the main concern for me. I'm 23, in case you all are wondering about my age.

When we went for a test ride around the block, it was very quiet, I was really surprised. Didn't hear anything bad in the engine, everything was good besides for the front passenger side tire rubbing into the fender w/ the bumps..

I already love this car, and it has nearly identical specs of my old car.
I used to have a slightly modded 03 Celica GT, that I got rid of cause it was cursed.
03 Celica 140 HP, 125 torque, 2600ish curb weight. FWD.
99 318TI, 138 HP, 133 torque, 2750ish curb weight, RWD.

I vowed never to go back to FWD again. It's a shame the car only has 138HP though, but I just need transportation for the time being. Would love to do an M3 swap but.. Don't have the cash right now. Despite the lack of power these car come stock, I am still excited. I'll post pictures of it when I get it, but overall, the car is in pretty good condition cosmetically, and it sounds great mechanically. I should be getting it tomorrow.. if I don't find anything wrong with it that the guy was trying to hide.

Off topic, did a 2000 2zz (Celica GTS engine) swap on it, w/ 6 speed. Didn't turn out so well, cause the guy who sold me the engine disappeared and it ran like crap.
Reguile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:40 PM   #2
tiFreak

Vehicles

if you run a 215 width tire and do a fender roll you can keep the 5 series rims on it, they have a lower offset so they look really nice on a ti
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:03 AM   #3
kylekyler

Vehicles

You rarely see 99's come up for sale. What's their asking price?

I just picked up my second ti for a little more than I wanted to pay for it but the joy of seeing them both in the drive way ready to play is well worth it.
kylekyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:51 AM   #4
Reguile

4200$. Below KBB. Has a ding in the hatch, but he'll be throwing in an already painted hatch for free.. Just not liking the fact the rims are too big that he has on there =/ every little bump *SCCRRRRTTTZZZHHH*
Everything else is.. sound though. Getting it tomorrow. Overly excited!
Old 11-12-2011, 08:06 PM   #5
Reguile

I didn't take any other pictures, but these are the rims I have on now which are just barely more narrow. (225 instead of 235) Didn't know you could put 215's on the 5 series rims?
I plan on getting after market rims anyways, not a fan of the stock / 5 series.. I'm prob going to go for gun metal, I think black is kinda weird looking on a blue car.

Last edited by Reguile; 11-12-2011 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Accidently put the same picture on there twice.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
familytruckster

Vehicles

all 99's have the "sports package" Auto or manual.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #7
Reguile

It's a manual. I vowed never to own an auto. I love stick shift.. even if you can't eat and drive like the typical fat person, or be on your phone and reach into your wallet to give your insurance company your info.
Got a few problems w/ the car atm.
At about 1/3 turn going counter clockwise, the steering wheel makes scratchy sounds you can feel in the wheel. (Could be something in the steering column or the fender rubbing, but i'm betting on the steering column)

I am leaking power steering fluid (Atleast I believe so) but we believe it's just a hose that's lose.

Sometimes the idle is rough but it's kinda expected seeing how it's 99.. what's the idle supposed to be at? Mine idles at around 800 iirc.

Spare hatch had gotten a crappy paint job, tiger stripes / painted over everything.. Probably will just go to the junk yard and see if I can find one for my car w/ the color and glass intact. May get some rims/fenders there as well.

And while going speeds of over 60+, the car feels.. 'wobbly', it may be an alignment, but it feels kinda bad. Each time I hit a small bump on the pavement, the car feels like it pulls even if I hold the steering wheel still, it's kind of hard to explain. Feels kinda delayed when I try to correct the direction.

Other than that, I'm loving the car so far, going to order a bunch of minor parts to fix and get her looking like new.. hopefully.. or to my standards.