318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,012,863 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-06-2011, 05:02 AM   #16
dhong089

Vehicles

Hey guys, sorry for the inactivity. First off, I extremely appreciate all the helpful information~ If it wasn't for you guys, I seriously wouldn't know what to do AT all. You guys are like an internship at a car shop or something, because I'm honestly learning all my stuff from you guys.

Anyways, I was busy with college stuff (prep classes etc) and just got a new part time job. I just started working on the Ti again like 3 days ago (trying to prepare for Bimmerfest... however it's 12 now.. and the caravan in PA is apparently leaving at like 6. I have work tomorrow anyways...)

Aaannnywayysss,

I’m honestly sorry but I really can’t find a way to remove the starter without taking the manifolds off… I’m not trying to be stubborn… I looked at every way possible and I still just couldn’t find a way to unbolt the starter. Maybe once I remove the manifolds and see the starter for myself, then perhaps I can understand the location and angle of the starter so I can do the job without taking everything off. It's difficult for someone who has almost 0 mechanical skills to do a job meant for adroit hands.

I just want to say that it’s not too difficult taking off all the manifold stuff. Perhaps it is definitely true that I don’t have to remove everything, however this is a good chance to see the orientation of my car. Might as well do it now and replace some parts as I do it, right?

I just made sure to put a piece of tape on every single hose/wire/electrical connection. However, it is a bit of an annoyance, but as long as I’m cautious, I really don’t see how I can make any mistakes. It’s kind of like a puzzle actually! Heh heh : )

Anyways, so I disconnected the hose that connects to the fuel filter under the car. I was expecting a small hiss or something, but when the hose disconnected, there seemed to be no pressure at all. Fuel just kind of dripped out. That was odd I guess.

So once I did that, I removed the two hoses connecting to the fuel rail. The hose closer to the front of the engine was easy (as the clamps were located in a convenient place). The second hose was such a pain to remove as the clamps were located weirdly. It seriously took me 30 minutes to remove one clamp LOL (I know, I’m a huge nub). However, I’m slowly learning more and more about the car which I’m enjoying.

Now the part I totally gave up on so far is removing the fuel rail. I removed the two bolts that attach the fuel rail to the lower intake manifold. I also disconnected both hoses connecting the fuel rail. Once I assured the fuel rail was free, I pulled on the fuel rail but it would not budge. I can wiggle it (and it squeaks) but it will just not pull out of there. I wouldn’t consider myself a super strong dude, but I would consider myself strong enough to hold my own. I pulled that fuel rail with all my freaking might and I still can’t get it out… Is there something I’m doing wrong? I’m sure the fuel injector is NOT jamming because it isn’t even budging out of the sockets….

I’m absolutely BEAT… Spent 3 hours in the garage just doing this small task and I couldn’t even do it. Gahhh freaking fuel rail >_>

Also, thanks cooljess for the message of concern; I really appreciate that you still remember my struggle and continuing to help me out

PS: I live in North Wales. 5 minutes away from Montgomery Mall
dhong089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:23 AM   #17
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

here's a thread that even has pictures of a starter replacement without removing the intake manifold:
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20555

At this point, you have the upper manifold removed, you should be able to at least see the starter. There's only two bolts holding it onto the transmission.

Last edited by cooljess76; 08-06-2011 at 05:25 AM.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #18
dave45056

3 hours???
You could have the starter out in less than 1 hour. Are you sure we can't convice you to attack this from under the car?
I kind of feel like this situation is akin to removing the head to get the spark plugs out.
But here goes nothing...
If you took out the two bolts which hold the fuel rail to the lower intake, the only thing holding the fuel rail in place is the friction from the o-rings on the fuel injectors. If you pull in the direction the injectors are inserted, they should pop out. Start at one end and work your way down the rail working it little by little. The injectors are inserted at a different angle than the two bolts. Also the injector bodies are plastic. They are held into the fuel rail by metal clips. You don't want to break anything here as it can get expensive. As it is, you will have to replace the o-rings on the injectors. And to get them back in place you need to use some o-ring grease.

And I am not surprised at all that you had no pressure in your fuel lines since your car has been sitting for so long.
dave45056 is offline   Reply With Quote