318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Transmission

Notices

Transmission Automatic, manual and shift lever discussions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by kupkake303
Yesterday 06:12 PM
211 Replies, 1,308,373 Views
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 405,170 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
Micaoct

Default Auto-to-Manual Question

Hey guys,
I have found a guy selling a M42 engine (1991) with manual transmission and he said he is willing to separate the transmission and sell it individually. It comes with everything required; clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, hard/soft lines, master and slave clutch cylinders, etc. I really want to switch my transmission to a manual and plan on doing it myself as a project this summer. I've read that most all e36 transmission will fit but I wanted to check if this is good, especially since it is a '91. Will the drive shaft/transmission fit okay and will I run into any issues? It would be ~$350 for the kit.

Thank you, I appreciate any responses,
Octavian
Micaoct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
Marv17

No, you will need to switch out the drive shaft connecting from the tranny to the mid section out. Try and ask if the guy has that as well or else you will have to look for one to make it work.
Also, i'm not sure if this is possible 100%, but try to see if you can get your hands on a manual engine harness. Reason being is that i've heard and seen guys with auto's in the first place that switch to manual have issues with the ECU trying to locate the transmission which later does not allow them to pass smog.
best of luck.

-Theta Chi-
Float like a cadilac, sting like a BIMMER

.... my socket is just too thick and won't fit in the hole! damnit!

Marv's 332ti is in the werks. Stay tuned ya'll ...

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:34 PM   #3
PrimeTimeSlime

I am preparing to do the same swap. you'll need a new differential unless you dont mind super high revs and low top speed. I'm upgrading to LSD just for ****s

"Some people like cupcakes better. I for one, care less for them"
PrimeTimeSlime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
Micaoct

Awesome, I believe he still has the drive shaft as well so I will try to get that. If not I will look for another 318 at a junkyard with a drive shaft that I can use. If I manage to pick up the kit from him and all goes well I will look for a LSD too, should be a good upgrade from an open diff. I have until July 8th to gather all the parts and information I need, then the fun begins! Thanks for the responses!

I don't really want to mess with the engine harness at this point, I am still pretty new to this and in uncharted territory. I am in Portland for the summer and this is going to be my challenge for the summer. I will try to straighten the computer issues but if it fails I will just register the car back in North Dakota where I go to school because there is no smog check there.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:06 PM   #5
PrimeTimeSlime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micaoct View Post
Awesome, I believe he still has the drive shaft as well so I will try to get that. If not I will look for another 318 at a junkyard with a drive shaft that I can use. If I manage to pick up the kit from him and all goes well I will look for a LSD too, should be a good upgrade from an open diff. I have until July 8th to gather all the parts and information I need, then the fun begins! Thanks for the responses!

I don't really want to mess with the engine harness at this point, I am still pretty new to this and in uncharted territory. I am in Portland for the summer and this is going to be my challenge for the summer. I will try to straighten the computer issues but if it fails I will just register the car back in North Dakota where I go to school because there is no smog check there.
Yea, I have one more part to get and I'll be ready to begin. Make sure you get a diff from an e30 or a 318ti, NOT an e36, it wont fit. I came really close to making that $250 mistake. There is a really good writeup by CirrusSR22 that shows how to jumper the wires to get the reverse lights to work.

"Some people like cupcakes better. I for one, care less for them"
PrimeTimeSlime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
Micaoct

Thanks for the tip, I will keep that in mind when I am searching!

Also just to make sure before I pull the trigger, there won't be any issues with the fact that this transmission came off a M42 from 1991, which I am assuming came out of a E30, it will hook up with the M44 and fit in a 1997 Ti okay, besides the drive shaft?

And I wish you good luck on your swap PrimeTimeSlime! Hopefully we will join our manual Ti brethren soon!
Old 06-03-2010, 08:32 PM   #7
CirrusSR22

If ND doesn't require smog testing, forget about any harness/computer work. I have a 96' (OBD II) that I swapped to a manual. There's no smog testing in MN either so I lust pulled the CEL bulb; problem solved. There's about 4 transmission related codes that will be thrown.

The above posts are correct. You will need the manual transmission driveshaft and differential. Also, don't forget the actual pedals. The pedal "carrier" is the same, you just need to clip-on the new narrow brake pedal as well as the clutch pedal. Feel free to PM with questions. Or better yet, ask here so everyone can see them. Good Luck!

Here's my swap: http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25795

Last edited by CirrusSR22; 06-03-2010 at 08:36 PM.
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:52 PM   #8
Micaoct

Thanks for the link that is going to come in really useful. I went ahead and bought the kit last night. It came with the driveshaft, and all the big pieces. I just need to pick up the clutch/brake pedal and clutch master and the soft/hard lines along with a LSD. No turning back now!
Old 06-05-2010, 05:42 AM   #9
Marv17

you guys are sooo lucky that you don't have to worry about strict smog restrictions. i envy you sometimes. hahaha.
good luck with the swap.

-Theta Chi-
Float like a cadilac, sting like a BIMMER

.... my socket is just too thick and won't fit in the hole! damnit!

Marv's 332ti is in the werks. Stay tuned ya'll ...

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote