318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Yesterday 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 942,891 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,633 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-13-2006, 05:50 PM   #1
316i compact

Default rear shock mounts-rear beam mounts-traling arm bushings

Hello guys. I would like your opinion about these items... I have covered about 125k miles and i have never replaced the beam mounts and the trailing arms bushings! i am running on bilstein sports and my right rear shock mount has failed.
I want to replace first of all the shock mounts with some aftermarket reinforced and i need your opinions!! Till now i am thinking of Rogue Engineering , and i also saw the Turner motorsport. Are there any other choices? Has anyone tried these items? i am looking for the best!
For the trailing arms bushings i am thinkin of the powerflex items but these are not adjustable like the bavauto ones. Is there any other way to adjust the rear camber except the bavauto bushings?
And last, i have no idea where i can get poly beam mounts! Would it be good idea to use the solid aluminium ones of Turner or the ride will be too harsh? What choices do i have?
Sorry if what i ask has been discussed again,but i couldn find the answers i needed in other threads!
Alpina front lip spoiler,ACS roof spoiler,OEM clear rear-side lights,In-Pro blackchrome front indicators,Lummar tinted glasses,318ti.org decalls,Eibach Sportline 45mm/30mm springs,Bilstein Sprint shocks,16mm rear sway bar,front eccentric wishbone bushes,E46 conv. RSMs,5mm rear lower spring seats,OMP alloy strut brace front,racing24 carbon/alloy strutbrace rear,x brace,K&N panel filter,L&W back box 2x84mm,BBS RK 8x17,Fulda Carat Exelero 225-45-17Y,Brembo drilled front rotors
316i compact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:21 PM   #2
cali-ti
aka Stabby

ireland engineering makes poly rear subframe mounts (i think what you're callling rear beam mounts). they also make kits to weld to the rear subframe to allow adjustment of both camber and toe in the rear (using eccentric bolts rather than eccentric bushings like in the bavauto kit). the kits are cheap, the labor to install them likely won't be.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:34 PM   #3
316i compact

I will seach for their website! I also saw the BMP rear shock mounts!
Are the bavauto bushes made of poly?
I noticed at realoem that BMW also have eccentric bushings for the trailing arms. Does that mean necessarily that the rear camber is adjustable with these bushings?
Alpina front lip spoiler,ACS roof spoiler,OEM clear rear-side lights,In-Pro blackchrome front indicators,Lummar tinted glasses,318ti.org decalls,Eibach Sportline 45mm/30mm springs,Bilstein Sprint shocks,16mm rear sway bar,front eccentric wishbone bushes,E46 conv. RSMs,5mm rear lower spring seats,OMP alloy strut brace front,racing24 carbon/alloy strutbrace rear,x brace,K&N panel filter,L&W back box 2x84mm,BBS RK 8x17,Fulda Carat Exelero 225-45-17Y,Brembo drilled front rotors
Old 06-13-2006, 06:44 PM   #4
316i compact

i saw ireland engineering rear shock mounts and they look really good! but i didn't really like that their bushes are two piece for the subframe!
Old 06-13-2006, 06:52 PM   #5
cali-ti
aka Stabby

they have to be two piece, no other way to get them on (to my knowledge)

the bavauto eccentric trailing arm bushings are poly. at least a few people on here have those. where on realoem did you see that bmw made eccentric trailing arm bushings? post up the link if you would.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

Old 06-13-2006, 06:58 PM   #6
316i compact

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...99&hg=33&fg=30

08 SET RUBBER MOUNTING ECCENTRIC

And the eccentric bushings are the same even for the M Roadster and M Coupe!
Old 06-13-2006, 07:05 PM   #7
316i compact

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-ti
they have to be two piece, no other way to get them on (to my knowledge)
I dont think so. powerflex also had rear subframe bushings but they were one-piece. The factory too are one piece!
Old 06-13-2006, 07:14 PM   #8
cali-ti
aka Stabby

so how do they they the flared ends through a tube much smaller in diameter? i could potentially see stock rubber bushings compressing enough ... not sure how poly would. maybe i'm missing something on how they're installed.

Old 06-13-2006, 07:41 PM   #9
316i compact

Maybe you are right , i dont know!
Did you check the link?
Has anyone in here tried the ireland engineering rear shock mounts or/and the rear subframe bushings?
I want to hear more opinions!
Old 06-13-2006, 08:23 PM   #10
cali-ti
aka Stabby

interesting find on the bmw eccentric trailing arm bushings. i either completely missed those when looking before or they've been added in more recent versions of the ETK. very interesting. those bushings are small enough that i would go with the stock rubber eccentric bushings. if you do get them, please take and post pics of what they look like before you install them.

i currently have IE (ireland engineering) poly trailing arm bushings (non-eccentric) and poly subframe bushings. the trailing arm bushings seem to make squeaking noises. the subframe bushings really firmed things up nicely in the back. i know even people with m-roadsters and m-coupes have used them.

i'm really getting sick of the squeaks and such from my car, especially now that i've decided to keep it street only. i'm planning to go back to at least rubber trailing arm bushings. going to do this when i change over to the m-coupe rear end i got.

Old 06-13-2006, 08:39 PM   #11
cali-ti
aka Stabby

some pics that might help regarding the rear subframe bushings (or not ).

stock bushings (albeit old and bad):

ireland engineering bushings:

Old 06-14-2006, 02:40 PM   #12
316i compact

Thanks for the help and the photos! I am very happy that my subframe bushings are not in that condition
The only reason i want to change trailing arm bushings is that i have fast wear on the rear tyres! On the last alignment i had 2.3 negative camber on both sides with half empty fuel tank and no load in the car! thats why i am looking for a way to setup the rear camber! SO the original BMW eccentric bushings means that the are adjustable????
The thing that i have to change the soonest possible is the shocks' mounts and i am still waiting for some opinions on items you have tested on your rides guys!