318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Transmission

Notices

Transmission Automatic, manual and shift lever discussions.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 104,464 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 67,532 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 64,834 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 11-15-2008, 08:23 PM   #1
8thcivic
Banned

Default downshif kick

i have a problem with the tranny. or i think it is the tranny or could be the differential. everything is ok and great but from high speed or regular medium speed and i slow down, sometimes there is something kicking in the rear of the car. im thinking its from 2nd going to first. when it happens the car jerks when the kick happens. i have a 96 auto. just wondering if anyone know what could it be.
8thcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:16 PM   #2
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

It "could" be a leprechaun living inside your transmission and jamming his cane into your gears every time it shifts. I'd start by getting under there and looking for obvious things first. Perhaps a torn flex disc, loose bolts, worn/damaged bushings etc. Before coming here and asking questions, it helps to take a minute and look. The problem may be right in front of you. I don't know if people are just too lazy, scared to jack up their car, pop their hood or whatever the deal is, but it seems like people come here expecting us to be mind readers.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:55 PM   #3
8thcivic
Banned

already did that and had the tranny serviced. even the tranny people dont know if its the tranny or the differential.

ps if your gonna be an ass then dont reply and ignore the thread. youre not helping. the site is all about helping each other as a community in which case the benefit of the doubt should be given that most obvious things have been done prior to the inquiry in the thread instead of assuming that people who ask are often lazy. but then again, i guess 2 years in College would do that to your personality
Old 11-16-2008, 02:45 AM   #4
elchicano

i would be careful if i was you. Jess is god on the Ti community having him on your side is good. Also he lives in cali as well so sooner or later you might need his help. He's not trying to be an as$ it's just that some questions are vague and expect an answer when the readers are confused. He was just trying to clear things out, in his own way.

Free bump.

318ti.org on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/318tiorg/127481623988696
elchicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:40 AM   #5
jeff318

sounds crazy but check the mass air sensor. mine was doing this my first ti i had. i replaced the maf bc it was in fault. after i replaced that the kickin stopped. or it could be the guibo. when they rip the metal rubs on the metal
Old 11-16-2008, 04:45 AM   #6
Bobbak

have you tried running the codes that will give you a general idea if what the problem is 95% of the time
Bilsteins w/ H&R Sport, Depos w/ angeleyes and HID 5K, 50% short throw kit, Custom fogged intake, AC schnitzer pedels w/ deadpedels, leather stickshift knob, vitesse tuning Ebreak boot w/ shift boot, X-Brace, 325/328 brake upgrade, Gray millpoint leather and cloth interior, custom computer multimedia system, and Style 5 BBS 17" rims, M3 Mirrors, CF Hood

Bobbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:29 AM   #7
8thcivic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff318 View Post
sounds crazy but check the mass air sensor. mine was doing this my first ti i had. i replaced the maf bc it was in fault. after i replaced that the kickin stopped. or it could be the guibo. when they rip the metal rubs on the metal
MAS would throw a Check engine light? or Tranny light? mine got throttle position sensor and i replaced it but still the same. double checked the tranny i found nothing.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:31 AM   #8
8thcivic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbak View Post
have you tried running the codes that will give you a general idea if what the problem is 95% of the time
that was the first thing i did before i brought it in the tranny shop
Old 05-06-2010, 10:20 AM   #9
SNOWti
Banned

****! I found it. This is the Ti this emeffer sold me with the bad ****ing transmission or something, but who's to believe this dude if he did have it fully checked. My BMW mechanic says I have to replace the whole tranny, let it breakdown completely, bring it in and replace it.

This punk posted here as this 8thcivic - He said he was on here as M332TI... current email is in reference to a dorky Odyssey he said he got for his wife after he sold me the '96 silver ti Auto... the one he's posting he's got problems with the effing transmission..

Now do you all believe me? Now you understand my anger? Here's my complaint thread about this auto '96 sold to me:
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29079

And there's this now... karma's a bitch...

Before...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32633965@N08/

After...

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...715982410.html

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?p=269157

My PM inbox is now open for apologies...

Last edited by SNOWti; 05-06-2010 at 10:31 AM.
SNOWti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:37 AM   #10
SNOWti
Banned

The more I search... the more I find his posts on this issue he never warned me about...

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthrea...t=20566&page=4

Look towards the end of the thread - he "confirms" the tranny problem and describes exactly what I EXPERIENCED next day I drove it around...f*ck.

Last edited by SNOWti; 05-07-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:57 PM   #11
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

So 8thcivic is M332TI. Your next step is to print out this thread as well as any other info you have proving it's the same car(remember he had two or three Ti's) and that he knew about the transmission problem prior to selling it to you. Then you can take him to small claims court. Steven the site owner can verify that this guy has two accounts and resolve that issue. Nobody owes you an apology except maybe 8thcivic aka M332ti, but then again he can always say that he told you it had issues or he fixed it prior to selling it. Unless he gave you an expressed written warranty or some sort of gaurantee(which I don't see why anyone selling a 14 year old salvage title'd car would), then you're probably SOL. Take him to small claims court, you have a better case now than you did a few months ago. Good Luck!
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:55 PM   #12
b.u.ti-ful

On this thread you are buying more stuff from the guy you don't trust:

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthrea...157#post269157

Why?

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
b.u.ti-ful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:27 PM   #13
SNOWti
Banned

I was just messing around with that post, I hope you don't take that as I'm still suspect and not the victim here, just a learning lesson for me and for any other person out there.

Just be for warned that there are people like this. I am not like this person and all along I have been straight up about what happened, there you go. If you need this person's full name, I have that too, PM me. Thanks again, for your help.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:45 PM   #14
b.u.ti-ful

Did you fix the car?

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
b.u.ti-ful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:53 PM   #15
SNOWti
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.u.ti-ful View Post
Did you fix the car?

Fix which car? The tranny-slipping ti this dude sold me? No, I'll just drive it until it fails. I have fixed a few things, suspension, nasty rack/pinion leak, oil pan leak, which it still has another little one, may be the pressure from the tranny, not sure...something's leaking, just one little drop and its not water.

The interior is basically factory stock now, I had to replace parts, I need the rear tire tray and all that stuff. I need a rear cover and it needs a paint job because my whole driver side is flaking from the cheap paint that was used, its all swirly. I'm not a tuner or making it a sleeper, I'm just a regular person and I like BMWs stock and if tuned - OEM M performance, no halo/angels, no clears, no cheesert of that sort.

Anyway, I think I proved my case. Good luck with your ti's. Next time... listen to the customer, they are always RIGHT.