318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Electrical

Notices

Electrical All wiring questions.

» Recent Threads
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,381 Views
Brakes - soft pedal and...
04-14-2024 01:02 PM
Last post by bcp
04-14-2024 01:09 PM
1 Replies, 2,240 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-22-2014, 05:03 AM   #1
Vazquezp

Vehicles
Default External Air Temperature Sensor

Can anyone tell me what the part number for the female end that the External Air Temperature Sensor plugs into. I was driving I-10 West from Texas to Florida and lost it in transit. all i have is the wire that leads to the air duct where the External Air Temperature Sensor sits. I searched for it on Realoem.com to no avail. Maybe someone has it listed in the Bentley Repair Manual.
Vazquezp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:34 PM   #2
xxxJohnBoyxxx

I don't have the number but the Dealer sells them since I purchased one. There are 2 different sizes. You need to know what temp sender you have since it can be a thick prong (Old style) or a thin prong (New style). I had to purchase a thin prong plug when I replaced the sender with a newer one years ago. It is not listed in my E36 Bentley...\

Here is the sender you should have on a 98 318ti Part #11

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...17&hg=13&fg=20

Last edited by xxxJohnBoyxxx; 01-23-2014 at 10:38 PM.
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:20 AM   #3
hotmilk400

Johnboy, i think he means the sensor in the brake duct but i could be wrong.

not to try to sell you something (and I need to check) but i am currently cutting up 2 entire harness for scrap (both cabin and front harness since no one ever buys them) and I remember nearly stepping on that sensor. (the one in the brake duct) You can just have the sensor and the wire it connects too if you pay shipping. can you find a picture of the sensor to make sure its the same one i have in mind? this one will be from a 96msport. if you need the one at the air box, i shoudl have it, just send a picture of what it should look like and its yours.

Shipping will be about $2 if you are interested.

... that goes for basically anyone else that needs random connectors. i have two harness, one from a 97 (still complete, labeled and has fusebox, all connectors and everything intact) and a 96 harness that will be chopped up so all the connectors are getting tossed. PM me with details.

Green Your Decor with the Aspect! Shop for the Grow Light Used by Interior Designers, Growers & People Like You!

Last edited by hotmilk400; 01-24-2014 at 01:25 AM.
hotmilk400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:23 PM   #4
Vazquezp

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmilk400 View Post

not to try to sell you something (and I need to check) but i am currently cutting up 2 entire harness for scrap (both cabin and front harness since no one ever buys them) and I remember nearly stepping on that sensor. (the one in the brake duct) You can just have the sensor and the wire it connects too if you pay shipping. can you find a picture of the sensor to make sure its the same one i have in mind? this one will be from a 96msport. if you need the one at the air box, i shoudl have it, just send a picture of what it should look like and its yours.

... that goes for basically anyone else that needs random connectors. i have two harness, one from a 97 (still complete, labeled and has fusebox, all connectors and everything intact) and a 96 harness that will be chopped up so all the connectors are getting tossed. PM me with details.
Yes the one that goes to the brake duct, awesome ! i will deff take it! let me source a pic to verify we are on the same page. Thanks again for everyones input.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:06 PM   #5
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:

Never knew there was one there. I learn something new each day...Thanks now I need to find mine and what does a brake duct sensor do? My external air temp is taken from the intake filter box in the URL I showed. Can someone explain what this air duct temp sensor does?

Thanks, John S
Old 01-24-2014, 10:09 PM   #6
hotmilk400

I always assumed it was for the OBC so you know the outside temperature? I could be wrong as the 96 I am scraping did not have the OBC but did have the sensor. I actually have no idea, i just know it exist. haha

Anyway, the sensors part number is: 13621739510

Vazquezp, if that is the sensor, then let me know.

Green Your Decor with the Aspect! Shop for the Grow Light Used by Interior Designers, Growers & People Like You!

Last edited by hotmilk400; 01-24-2014 at 10:12 PM.
hotmilk400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:11 PM   #7
grrrwoof

copied from bimmerforums...

If you have heated jets you have heated mirrors and the drivers door lock is heated. To activate the lock heater (only the drivers door lock is heated) lift up on the handle and hold it there for about 2 or 3 minutes. Obviously the door needs to be locked or you won't be able to lift the handle far enough to activate it without making the door open. Heated mirrors come on as soon as you start the car. heated jets activate automatically as soon as it drops below 38F. At least it should if the thermoswitch is still in good condition. If its an older switch it might not be quite as sensitive and it was new.

probably copied too much but that lock heater thing is interesting for cars with the winter package......anyways according to him its the thermoswitch for the heated washer jets.

o theres a thread on here about it too
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29063
and http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22323

Last edited by grrrwoof; 01-24-2014 at 11:21 PM.
grrrwoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:49 AM   #8
xxxJohnBoyxxx

That explains a lot. I have nothing heated from factory on my car (97 318is)

Thanks for clearing that up guys
Old 01-30-2014, 02:47 AM   #9
Vazquezp

Vehicles

Quote:
I always assumed it was for the OBC so you know the outside temperature? I could be wrong as the 96 I am scraping did not have the OBC but did have the sensor. I actually have no idea, i just know it exist. haha

Anyway, the sensors part number is: 13621739510

Vazquezp, if that is the sensor, then let me know.
65818350779 this is the part number for the part i am looking at... it relays the temp to the Obc... and usually beeps when the temp is below 40 degrees f.