318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Yesterday 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 949,471 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,648 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 10-19-2013, 06:05 AM   #1
J_E

Vehicles
Default Anyone use AutoEnginuity?

I've been told that early OBD-II BMW's have limited functionality via the OBD-II port and that the majority of it is done via 'service' port(s) in the engine compartment.

I already have the base program with the GM specific package, and was wondering if anyone here has any feedback or experience with the program and the BMW specific package on these cars, namely the '96.

My searches in this forum came up a little bare, so I thought that I would ask.

Thanks in advance.
J_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:13 AM   #2
MINIz guy

Vehicles

I don't have the program myself, but I think I may help. I had a 2000 E39 M5 with the 20-pin and OBDII port. I would read the engine's status using a Creader via the OBDII port.

The early OBDII BMW's give you full access to the engine's data. You can read what all the engine sensors are reading and it can tell you about emissions equipment working or not. It gives enough information so when you go in for inspection, the tester can find out if all emissions systems are working and if the car is legally modified. I remember seeing O2 sensor voltages, LTFT and STFT, MAF readings, timing, idle speed and some more.

What it can't tell you about is about the other computers, as BMW didn't integrate them into the OBDII port yet. That means you cannot find out about your airbag light, brake light, etc.
MINIz guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Delayed response. 1996 can read most everything via 20pin converted to 16pin OBD-II to usb using INPA (BMW's software). Read everything even better with a LM-2 using analogs for very high resolution logging and then OBD-II port for multiple readings. The OBD-II port logging list is very large but a little slower since you are communication bi-directional over the k-line. During tunes we log MAF, Knock, TPS, wide-band O2, RPM's analog then go OBD-II logging of timing, engine load, iat temps, etc. Anything we want to log.

Get a bluetooth OBD-II adapter and run one of the many free android apps for real time events while they happen.Cheep solution for all OBD-II cars...

Just some thoughts

Last edited by xxxJohnBoyxxx; 11-07-2013 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Added Bluetooth option
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
98318ti

there is also a program called Carsoft out there that can read the different ports. I found some cables for it online and can do some basic stuff with it.

I bought my cables from this place and they were pretty good. http://www.auobd2.com/
98318ti is offline   Reply With Quote