03-01-2024 11:00 PM
Last post by Andy318
03-18-2024 02:34 PM
3 Replies, 131,419 Views
Closed Thread Share/Bookmark

Old 04-17-2008, 07:42 PM   #1
Phil Marx

Default '97 318ti 5-spd, white, Active, 103k miles in Virginia **UPDATE** SOLD

***Thanks for everyone's interest. This car has been sold to a new list member!

I have a good friend who's selling a '97 Active White 5-speed with 103k. He bought if from me when I had a dealership and the car was about a year old. He's had two daughters use the car without incident (still all original paint) and he's a car nut with just too many cars. It hasn't seen regular use since he put his youngest in his wife's Mini two years ago and she's headed to college. He was going to save it as a project engine-transplant candidate but he has too many other classic car projects so reality tells him it's time to go.

White, gray cloth, sunroof, 5-speed, cruise, AST, all service records, all original paint. New clutch 5,000-miles ago. Some minor staining of fabric on seats but no rips or tears. CEL and Airbag lights have been fixed but are back on, and headliner is starting to sag in spots. Always garaged and well maintained. He's looking for $5,000 and will throw in four steel wheels with worn Blizzaks if you want them.

I hope to have photos and more details in a short while. I haven't seen the car in two years. Feel free to contact me. The seller isn't big on dealing with this and I convinced him it might go to a better home if sold off this list. I originally posted this in a WTB thread in response to a want-ad.

I'm sure the seller would be happy to make a donation here if it sells. The car is located outside Charlottesville, VA, two-hours south of Washington, DC.

Thanks,

-Phil
Old 04-17-2008, 09:38 PM   #2
haseeb718

pics. Im interested. Is the price negotiable at all?
Old 04-17-2008, 11:13 PM   #3
blndweasel

OH man, that sounds like a great car. Wish I had some cash kicking around.

1/1997 M44 ti M-Sport Schwartz II
Old 04-18-2008, 03:05 PM   #4
fatstring

Very interested. Send me an email or whatever so I can get a look at this beauty. I'll be out for the next few days, but back Sunday evening.
Thanks
Old 04-18-2008, 03:21 PM   #5
Phil Marx

It's a busy weekend for the owner and I'll probably have some pics and more details Sunday or Monday. Price is always firm until both parties realize the other is serious about buying or selling. No reason to negotiate before seeing at least pictures of the car. I'll be happy to determine if it's a good deal or not when I get a look at the car shortly. Nothing in it for me. Just looking for a fair price for all parties in a transaction between BMW nutz. The more local the better for an easy transaction. Thanks for the interest.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:01 PM   #6
64lusso

If the weather is OK this weekend I hope to get it cleaned up and presentable on Saturday and Phil will come over and get some pics to share with you guys on Sunday. A couple of small things I forgot to mention to Phil is I do have a factory workshop manuel for this car that will go with it and there are a new set of rear brake pads that it doesn't need yet, also it has the BMW CD changer in the trunk. Thanks for the help with this Phil. Jay
Old 04-21-2008, 07:12 AM   #7
Phil Marx

Here's a link to the photos taken today:http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...DSC_0939-1.jpg
Photos show a small ding/chip at the left front edge of the hood, scatch (not-touched up) at the lower right edge of the front bumper cover. The rear bumper cover has a couple of touched-up spots that won't show in photos. Likewise, there is a very minor ding in the leading edge of the left rear wheel-opening lip that won't show in a photograph but no broken paint. The seat fabric is in great shape but stained from wet swim-suit use as you can see in the photos. I suspect it will disappear or become much less noticeable after a good shampooing; same at the top edge of the driver's door panel fabric insert. There are used plush mats for the car so the carpet is in good shape but needs a good cleaning. The glove-box latch seems a bit wonky but works. All books are present including radio code card. Tires are drivable but will need replacing soon. Hood struts are in need of replacement. Photos show the start of bubbling in the headliner. Paint finish is remarkably good for an eleven-year-old daily driver (garaging really helps!!) and would look damn nice after a normal detailing. "B" pillar/door-window frame has had flat-black decal removed to expose original glossy white paint. Engine compartment is dry and tight but has original cosmolene on the engine and the normal grime from a decade of use. Spare set of OE rear brake pads, touch-up, in trunk. Side turn-signal repeaters were replaced with clear lenses, and I believe the originals are in the boxes in the trunk. Could use new antenna base grommet, a $2 part. Current mileage shown in photo of instruments is 104,483. All in all, a darn nice little car if you like low mileage, active-package, 5-speed ti's. Price should remain firm on this one because it's a nice honest car with no major flaws and a new clutch. Oh yeah, the headlight lenses are clear and perfect; I'm so jealous! Check out the photos and PM me with any questions. Thanks for looking.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:21 AM   #8
Mauriceman

PM sent
Old 04-21-2008, 02:41 PM   #9
Phil Marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauriceman View Post
PM sent
Received and replied to. Plenty of interest but the car is still available as I write this. Thanks guys.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:26 AM   #10
Phil Marx

Thanks to everyone who responded. The car is sold and on its way home with its new owner. Congrats Maurice! I hope it's a great car for you. Sorry we didn't get to meet. I know you'll enjoy this list much more now that you're a ti owner! Glad it went to someone who really wanted it. May it bring you many more trouble-free miles. Glad it's staying in this family.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:27 AM   #11
Mauriceman

SOLD. To me. Thanks to TI forums for being there, Phil for posting there, my dad in C-ville for picking me up at the Richmond airport, and Jay for taking such good care of this fine automobile. Yea.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:31 AM   #12
Phil Marx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauriceman View Post
SOLD. To me. Thanks to TDI forums for being there, Phil for posting there, my dad in C-ville for picking me up at the Richmond airport, and Jay for taking such good care of this fine automobile. Yea.
Now you need to complete the cycle by joining BMW CCA!
Old 04-24-2008, 03:40 AM   #13
thesk8nmidget

congrats and yes join up with the cca and you can meet a lot of really cool people and get discounts!
Current- 1995 318ti, sport model, schwartz
Closed Thread