318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 982,989 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-27-2007, 02:18 AM   #1
dudesweet

Default drifting 318ti

Fellow bros of the bimmer world I have a very important question as I am currently looking to buy a 1996 318ti but am very curious to the way it behaves because I have never driven one. I currently own a 2006 2.5rs impreza wagon 5 speed wich I love driving but I also have a love for drifting wich is ideal for now in the winter with snow and the oversanded roads of CT but even in these conditions it is not close to the feel of a rwd car. I also love compacts wich is what appeals to me the most about the 318ti but Ive only driven sub-compacts such as my car. THESE ARE MY MAIN QUESTIONS: first of all my mom had an 02 BMW that i would take for a spin every now and then but one thing I extremley disliked was the fact that you couldnt turn off the traction control and the car would freak out when you slide does the 318ti do this? secondly how does this car drift is their understeer, oversteer is it hard to maintain a drift? and lastly I'd like to ask what is your favorite thing about the car and what is your least favorite. Thanks a bunch and I look forward to your response.
dudesweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 02:22 AM   #2
Ji Money

You can turn off the traction control. Just one switch of a button. It is standard equipment 97 and on.
Ji Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 02:23 AM   #3
ATF

Question 1. You can turn of the 'traction' control (it just retards the throttle). In the case of your mom's BMW, I'm sure you could've turned off the traction control, I did it in my friends 335xi, just have to hold the button for a few seconds.
Question 2. No Clue, I don't risk drifting it, I can't afford to fix it.
Like: It's Unique
Dislike: It's Unique, on a more serious note; I think? there are some blind spots, to remedy this I got bugeyes and drive with my mirrors. Also non adjustable steering wheel. i could use some more leg room, but that's because i'm 6' 6"..

BMWCCA #403399
2012 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 6-Speed
Loaded
2001 325xi, Winter Package, 5-Speed
Traded
1998 318ti, Active, Automatic, TOTAL LOSS R.I.P. 10/20/08
Bilstein Sport Shocks/Struts . H&R Sport Springs . Strut Reinforcement Plates . RSM Reinforcement Plates . Fogg Airbox . X-Brace . Bosal Brospeed Catback
ATF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 02:24 AM   #4
Ji Money

Ok, now to answer your questions.

My favorite thing about the car is that it is a Bimmer in every sense, but it is practical and affordable.

Least favorite things are the interior pieces like the head liner coming apart.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:28 AM   #5
Ji Money

You can drift in any RWD car. You just have to have the driving skills, which I don't have.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:35 AM   #6
SDKmann

Yes you can drift a ti. Its the only car Ive "drifted" so I really couldnt compare it for ya. If you want a drift car you can make it into a drift car, its all a matter of money.

Oh, and newb question- how do you turn ASC off in a 96?
Old 12-27-2007, 02:42 AM   #7
Ji Money

If you don't have a small button by the left of the steering wheel on the dash, then it isn't on your car.

Also, if you have traction control, every time you start the car, the yellow triangle with the exclamation point, the traction control indicator, lights up in your cluster for a second.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:48 AM   #8
thesk8nmidget

pros... it handles great and gets amazing mileage! looks good. smaller car. fun to drive. etc

cons.... certain parts are hard to find steering wheels doesnt adjust. umm i think thats it.
Current- 1995 318ti, sport model, schwartz
thesk8nmidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:23 AM   #9
dudesweet

yo thanks for all the feed back that was quick this site is awesome
Old 12-27-2007, 04:26 AM   #10
dudesweet

oh and everyone tells me that you can turn off the traction control on my moms car it was a 2002 325xi, but i scoped it for months with my dad and we couldnt find any way to turn it off, but im sure you could just snip a wire and it'd be fine.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:39 AM   #11
SDKmann

I doubt you have to snip a wire or anything. Check your owners manual or ask on bimmerforums.com (if you dare). Im sure there is a way to turn it off from inside the cabin. But a 318ti would be fine to drift, I think theres a pretty long thread here about drifting the ti, try searching it.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:42 AM   #12
thesk8nmidget

also before asking bimmerforums just search for it
Current- 1995 318ti, sport model, schwartz
thesk8nmidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 06:21 AM   #13
cali-ti
aka Stabby

pros: longevity (230k and still on original engine/clutch/tranny), handles pretty well (no experience with porsches, lotuses or ferraris to compare to), peppy enough to keep me happy shifting gears, lack of giant brass balls keeps me out of trouble, hatch means i can actually haul a bunch of stuff in the back, cali top can be closed at 80+mph when you actually see the downpour wave front approaching unlike a convertible, ability to swap things in from m3, m-coupe/roadster, haven't heard of stock rear sway bar or diff mounts tearing out (like m3s or m-coupes/roadsters)

cons: lack of giant brass balls, uniqueness makes some parts harder to find (eg: m-tech rear bumper), lack of a lot of aftermarket companies with mods for stock m42/m44

love the car, that's why i'm still driving it. it's never left me stranded. i've owned it since new in oct 1996 and never had any major service. finding this site has cost me the most money cause i started getting into fitting option kits it didn't originally have, lol
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:31 PM   #14
Mallard

Vehicles

suspension geometry is almost identical to e30 M3, so with a little tweak here and there it will go like stink

the 4 cyl cars are better ballanced, so i would have an S14 tranplanted in and a slipdiff and i dont think you would need much more of a track wepon than that

Vin Number decode and Retrofit Pdfs Available Free ! Just PM
Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:07 PM   #15
AlaskaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudesweet View Post
oh and everyone tells me that you can turn off the traction control on my moms car it was a 2002 325xi, but i scoped it for months with my dad and we couldnt find any way to turn it off, but im sure you could just snip a wire and it'd be fine.
You have to hold the button down. Traction control is off when the regular traction control light is on as well as the emergency brake light is on in yellow. If you just hit the button once traction control is only about a quarter turned off. You have to keep holding it down.