318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Personal bios and Introductions

Notices

Personal bios and Introductions A short personal history.

» Recent Threads
Beauteous gays boys in...
Yesterday 11:12 PM
Last post by mobmw
Yesterday 11:12 PM
0 Replies, 25 Views
1997 manual 318TI M...
Yesterday 09:38 AM
Last post by angwydwagon
Yesterday 09:38 AM
0 Replies, 167 Views
Handsome gays boys from...
Yesterday 12:47 AM
Last post by ceoshank88
Yesterday 12:47 AM
0 Replies, 190 Views
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by kupkake303
05-09-2024 06:12 PM
211 Replies, 1,311,685 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-01-2007, 10:15 AM   #46
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post
Everyone please stop stomping on Avus' thread.
I agree, all i did was ask for pics and then Porches's, M3's, Dasc's, laundry, school, work, and lambo comes outta no where.

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:06 PM   #47
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavus318ti View Post
I'll be retrieving my property from the car tomorrow.
I pulled my CD changer and bracket. The spare tools kit. My spiral antenna and cig lighter. I don't know why I kept the cig lighter. I don't even smoke. I was just distraught.
Good luck, it can be an emotional experience.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:08 PM   #48
myavus318ti

Quote:
I pulled my CD changer and bracket. The spare tools kit. My spiral antenna and cig lighter. I don't know why I kept the cig lighter. I don't even smoke. I was just distraught.
Good luck, it can be an emotional experience.
I'll be going at 1 today. Any other items you think I should take? I'll be pulling the lisence plates and frames also.
myavus318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:36 PM   #49
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Quote:
I'll be going at 1 today. Any other items you think I should take? I'll be pulling the lisence plates and frames also.
Take something that you can use in your M3. That way you still have a connection to the ti. That's why I kept my antenna.
BMW CCA #146825
www.bmwcca.org
Old 02-01-2007, 09:57 PM   #50
myavus318ti

Quote:
Take something that you can use in your M3. That way you still have a connection to the ti. That's why I kept my antenna.
thanks. I'm about to leave now.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:25 AM   #51
myavus318ti

I took the tool kit, floor mats, the set of keys I normally used, and the owner's manual (in addition to the personal belongings that I had). The insurance company will be cutting me a check as soon as I can get the title to them.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:49 AM   #52
HuGo

Quote:
I took the tool kit, floor mats, the set of keys I normally used, and the owner's manual (in addition to the personal belongings that I had). The insurance company will be cutting me a check as soon as I can get the title to them.
you should have token the brake caliper while you were there.

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:27 AM   #53
bmwracerchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marleymon View Post

for the record...Are you a female? I don't know any females that could handle a car like that.....well besides racerchick of course ...No m3's around here let alone females rippin one......ok i'm done....

lol if I got an m3 it would unfortunetly be an automatic, traffic here is too crazy. But I have been getting the awesome experience of driving my boyfriends manual GLI

Avus- I am sure you could get the hills down in san fran if you worked on it a little, do you have any friends with a manual car that they can let you practice on those steep hills? I know unless its another m3 it would be a little different clutch wise and all....you know all that stuff but I mean it couldnt hurt, become a pro at the manual and personally I dont think anyone can say they know how to drive a manual till they have to drive one in conditions like that everyday lol. just my 2 cents on that matter, that way if its something you really think you can do you can get the m3 there. Or perhaps use the money from the ti check, wait a little while and get the 1-series when it comes to the US. Or maybe a GTI? And use that money as a down payment on a new car. That way you can stick with the small cars since you said it was easier driving the compact car.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:35 PM   #54
myavus318ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996Bmw318TI View Post
you should have token the brake caliper while you were there.
I took the roundels, the broken kidney grills and the foglight covers. Taking the brake calipers would have been too much of an ordeal.

I have driven my M3 in traffic in New York City before, so driving in traffic is just a pain, but it doesn't make me really nervous. Most of the places in San Francisco that have a significant amount of traffic is mostly flat (downtown area), with the exception of California street. There's a parking garage that I park in for one of my jobs that has a spiral ramp that's pretty narrow and at a pretty steep grade that concerns me.

Every person that I know from bfc (around 4 people) that lives in San Francisco has an automatic car (go figure), so I defintely can't borrow someone's car and just practice. I've got an automatic chevy malibu as a rental; I've been getting used to the size of it and have been practicing how to parallel park with a larger car.

I'll only have a rental car for the next 2 weeks as per my insurance policy. A friend of mine suggested that I buy a beater car that lasts me just 5 months. I realized that it's no longer practical for me to have two cars, and that I should put the $ in from the insurance check to the loan that's on the m3.

My ex boyfriend got a manual car right before college (we went to the same university) and it was also extremely hilly. He was forced to learn how to drive a manual transmission on a lot of hills. The same thing will happen to me; I'll probably avoid California Street, and other places that I know have steep upgrades with traffic for the time being.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:47 PM   #55
L84THSKY

Hey Avus, wanna see what your seats look like in a Ti?

I'd be more than happy to deliver your car to S.F. I'm in NY, where is the car?

Quote:
Here's the M3: (it's avus as well)

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:15 AM   #56
Steve in No Va

I don't want to push the point, but generally, insurance companies will sell you the car back for 10% of the value. If you were to buy it back, have it immediately towed to a reputable shop and get it fixed, it should cost in the neighborhood of $3,700-$4,000 to get fixed. I know this because my ti was hit in October in the front by a run away SUV and had similar damage, only difference being I didn't need a new radiator and AC. The quote for my car ended up being $3,200. I had the ability to fix it myself because all the parts in front of the engine bolt together and the front frame rails weren't damaged. It cost me about $1,100 in parts.

If you did this, you would be getting the car and a check for $6,300-$6,800 from the insurance co. This would give you more than enough money to rent a car during the repair period if it goes beyond the 2 weeks you already have. You will probably have a good bit of money left over if your frame is not bent as you stated near the start of this thread.

Other than getting your car to the repair shop, I don't see how this is more of a burden to you than having to find a new car and you get to have your car back.
Steve in No Va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:04 PM   #57
pdxmotorhead

+1!

Hope you find a replacement!

AN M3 in the garage is worse than totaled... Road Trip!

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:45 PM   #58
myavus318ti

The m3 is located in St. James, NY. It will be shipped via covered rail car to San Francisco.

The quotes that I got from the body shop (that specializes in bmws) to fix the car were close to 8k (about how much I'm actually getting from the insurance company). The paint job alone is probably going to run at least 2k itself.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:42 AM   #59
1996 328ti

Vehicles

ti in SF with your name on it.
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?p=105732
BMW CCA #146825
www.bmwcca.org
Old 02-06-2007, 05:45 AM   #60
myavus318ti

thanks for the link. He's in Ohio and ready to move to SF, so the car isn't in cali .