318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 101,433 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 64,467 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 61,651 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-09-2007, 04:34 AM   #1
318racer

Default 1999 318ti m44 vs. H22 1999 Honda prelude

Hi guys my friend made me bet 50 bucks to race him, so i crumpled under peer pressure. We have this abandoned airport we go to. Its a tight spot. Do you guys think a 1999 BMW 318ti with the m package, and supersprint exhaust and headers, and m3 clutch could beat a honda prelude with an h22, with a decently good driver? Probably for the quarter mile but not sure, would i have better lower end or higher end torque? thanks guys im a little nervous
318racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:53 AM   #2
M3_KILL3R

ok no offense but you would most probably get dominated ...we have more low and mid torque while hondas have high end torque ....if you get to a turn you can totally own him but not drag...you will take off first but by 2nd gear hes caught you and passed you by 3rd i had a friend with a H22 accord and he was hitting low 14s soooo ya that help lol
Old 06-09-2007, 05:16 AM   #3
HuGo

Dude your gonna get it!

Just wait a little and youll see.

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 05:17 AM   #4
AlaskaBlue

I would say that the things you have done to your car unfortunately have cancled out each other. The M3 clutch increased the overall weight of the rotating mass of the flywheel effectively reduced the amount of power that would reach the wheels.

I am not positive about how you will fare in the race, but when I went to the drag strip in a fairly stock 318ti the results were almost all over the board. In the 1/8 mile the car was pretty quick, but by the 1/4 mile the car pretty much fell flat on its face.

The driver part of the equation is really a HUGE factor. I know people that have claimed to be good drivers, but have run 15-16s in a 13-14s car. The launch is what would make or break both of you. Learn all you can about how to launch the car properly. Don't do some bonzai drop and burn the tires all 1st gear. Slip the clutch and don't spin or bog.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:43 PM   #5
al95ti

you will lose... and not just by a little... a lot... I know this because I had a little fun on the highway a couple years back with my friend in his 97 H22 Prelude Type SH

1995 Canadian Spec Schwarz II Ti Base Model.... 5spd, Untinted Windows, Bilstein Sports, Bav Auto Springs, E36 Sport Wheels, 225/50 Fuzion HRi's, MK3 Jetta VR6 Front Lip, Cosmos Racing Short ram intake, Luk Clutch kit, Apexcone projectors, DDM 6000K HID, Shortened shift knob, Pioneer stereo, Autopage Alarm
al95ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 05:41 PM   #6
hitchhike79

Yea i owned a 98 Prelude SH, these cars are awesome and only get better with tuning. It would kill you in a straight line and really show you some amazing things on the corners. The SH system is amazing on that car, so good that Mitsubishi developed a version for the new Evo X. Now i would say to your friend that you would race him, but both of you take a run in each others car as well.
hitchhike79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:03 PM   #7
mohaughn

The only issue with the SH in terms of handling is when you really start to push it... I didn't like how the computer assisted torque system would act sometimes. And sometimes it is pretty unpredictable what it will do.

I find a nicely setup rear wheel drive system with no computer aided controls to be much easier to drive hard.

But I do agree. You'll get spanked in a drag race. And at an autocross course it would depend on the driver.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 07:17 PM   #8
318racer

Damn that sucks... Well how could i luanch. Whats a good way? Also, what rpm's should i shift at? Im thinking 6500. Ok well as i said, this is my friend and ive raced him before 3 times. The first two, he won by like .5 to one length, the third i was right up to him. I would really like to win this race, iwhat could i do to maximize my chances. Im a preety novice driver soo all tips would be appreciated. Also, could i make my car lighter? i took the spare off... Thanks guys, i know i can pull through cuz ive been sooo close to beating him with my spare and a bunch of other stuff in my car.he is also a novice driver
Old 06-09-2007, 07:43 PM   #9
DocDuvi

you will most deff. loose!!
DocDuvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 07:53 PM   #10
318racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocDuvi View Post
you will most deff. loose!!
could you offer any advice to make my chances better? Because, this is a car i have raced, and was very close to winning.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:03 PM   #11
Philly

yeah your gonna lose...
my modded se-r spec-v was on par with a modified H22A, it was quite a bit quicker actually, but my specV was muuuch much quicker than my 318ti... i miss it alot

Id say you will have him til about 80-100 km/h.. just barely maybe but once your halfway through 3rd gear, you'll be done and he will make u look like a Geo metro.

I was playin with a buddy of mine the other day on the highway in his brand new Mazda3 2.3L 5spd and he couldn't hang with me at all from a launch to 120 km/h.. but after that, he had NO trouble getting by me.

328Ti

Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:44 PM   #12
Will'sBimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 318racer View Post
could you offer any advice to make my chances better? Because, this is a car i have raced, and was very close to winning.
Well unlike everyone else I wont say ur gonna lose beacuse like you said u have almost beaten him. So I would agree with the launch idea. I once launched my car and was gone and I was so surprise at how the launch helped me. i dont know exactly how I did it but you need to practice your release off the clutch and ur foot getting on the gas when u first start out in first gear. I wouldnt say shift at 6500rpm either. You need to find the point of no more power gain. Like when you are in first and rev it up you should feel the point at where the car seems to lose power after say 4000 or maybe 5000 for example. urs could be differant. but that is the point at which you need to shift at. Also if you really want to have a good chance, change your diff. It will really help out in the 0-70mph area but not in top speed. good luck on the race and let us know what happens. Also maybe you could get someone to film it. Not the person driving of course.
custom dual exhaust,M3 front and rear bumper, 10.4 inch roof mount drop screen, Viper alarm system, DSII's rims, M3 Vader Seats, M3 Mirrors, Carbon Fiber CAI, Smoked Corners, Side Markers, Leatherz armrests, black grilles

225k miles and still the Ti goes on
Will'sBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:02 PM   #13
hitchhike79

Honestly if your close to beating this guy i would venture to say this guy is nursing his car. Really the car is a very quick car. I drove my Prelude pretty softly and it most definetly would eat my TI alive. I never even did launches... im just not one for putting a stock clutch thru something that they are not made for. I cant remember the rpm range but the h22 does its cam lobe shift or whatever it is and its just sucks all the air and fuel it can get and the car moves.
Man just ditch the drag race, it doesnt show much about a car when most cars are made to turn, even stupid Nascar turns a little. Take the guy out on some twisties near you and i think that would be a good race. Just dont make it something that you guys take big risks to pass and BS.
Hell do it legal like and do an autox.
I still recommend getting in each others cars too. Its a nice perspective and alot of that betting and racing BS should go to the wayside.
hitchhike79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:05 PM   #14
Will'sBimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchhike79 View Post
Honestly if your close to beating this guy i would venture to say this guy is nursing his car. Really the car is a very quick car. I drove my Prelude pretty softly and it most definetly would eat my TI alive. I never even did launches... im just not one for putting a stock clutch thru something that they are not made for. I cant remember the rpm range but the h22 does its cam lobe shift or whatever it is and its just sucks all the air and fuel it can get and the car moves.
Man just ditch the drag race, it doesnt show much about a car when most cars are made to turn, even stupid Nascar turns a little. Take the guy out on some twisties near you and i think that would be a good race. Just dont make it something that you guys take big risks to pass and BS.
Hell do it legal like and do an autox.
I still recommend getting in each others cars too. Its a nice perspective and alot of that betting and racing BS should go to the wayside.

+1
custom dual exhaust,M3 front and rear bumper, 10.4 inch roof mount drop screen, Viper alarm system, DSII's rims, M3 Vader Seats, M3 Mirrors, Carbon Fiber CAI, Smoked Corners, Side Markers, Leatherz armrests, black grilles

225k miles and still the Ti goes on
Will'sBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:27 PM   #15
Variance

I'm not one for street racing, but I can atleast give you a bit of advice. A good launch RPM is about 3000; go out and practice to see how much you have to slip the clutch to keep the wheels from spinning excessively. As for shifting, the M44's power begins to drop off shortly before 6000 RPM, so that's a good shift point. Also, a way that you could slightly increase your chances is by running on your stock wheels, if you currently have an aftermarket set. More than likely your stock wheels and tires will be lighter and have less rotation mass than your aftermarket ones, leading to quicker acceleration.