318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 984,514 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 09-24-2006, 07:01 PM   #1
HuGo

Default Boost (PSI) Gauge

What would guys recommend for a good PSI gauge? Since im ordering the dasc on monday, i want to order the gauge as well. I seen some gauges with VAC on one side. What does VAC (assuming Vacuum) read? And is the press meaning the psi? All i really want is just a gauge that tells me PSI.

which of these 2 is better?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/0-30-...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vacuu...ayphotohosting

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:11 PM   #2
HuGo

How about this one, it only reads boost?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Autom...31881340QQrdZ1

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Autom...31786691QQrdZ1

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/7-COL...spagenameZWDVW

Think this is good enough? I dont need why i need a number that reads up to 35 if im only gonna have 8psi. Do they sell any gauges that show only up to 10 psi?

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:24 AM   #3
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Get an AutoMeter boost gauge. Vacuum is good to see also.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 03:21 AM   #4
HuGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT View Post
Get an AutoMeter boost gauge. Vacuum is good to see also.
How much PSI 0-30 or 0-35? And what am i looking for when looking at Vacuum, how do i read that? Like the numbers, what am i looking for cuz i have no idea what would be good or bad or whats going on.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 09-25-2006, 08:13 PM   #5
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Since you are only going to run 7.5psi, you don't really need a 35psi gauge, right? I think this would be a lot easier for you if you understood what a supercharger did, or how an engine works.

Did you read the Corky Bell book yet?

'99 Dinan M3
Old 09-25-2006, 09:08 PM   #6
HuGo

Quote:
Since you are only going to run 7.5psi, you don't really need a 35psi gauge, right? I think this would be a lot easier for you if you understood what a supercharger did, or how an engine works.

Did you read the Corky Bell book yet?

No i havent read it. Im gonna buy the rspeed valve so its gonna/should be an even of 8psi.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 09-25-2006, 09:24 PM   #7
pdxmotorhead

So your about to put a expensive upgrade on an expensive engine and you really should spend some quality time researching the whole story. Things go badly in a big way in a hurry with too much boost and not enough understanding of results. You don't see all the blown engines the Honda/Japanes Marques create in the magazines, only the success stories...

Be cautious...

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:28 PM   #8
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead View Post
So your about to put a expensive upgrade on an expensive engine and you really should spend some quality time researching the whole story. Things go badly in a big way in a hurry with too much boost and not enough understanding of results. You don't see all the blown engines the Honda/Japanes Marques create in the magazines, only the success stories...

Be cautious...

Dave
Agreed...it's very important to understand what you are doing.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 09-26-2006, 12:51 AM   #9
Mad-Machine

Why go with autometer, greddy, or any of the others when you can get a good cheap gage that fits in perfectly with the interior of your car.. and only reads to 15psi?

VDO makes such a gage. Availible in both Cockpit (traditional side lighting) and Vision (through gage lighting, like stock) that read to 15psi and are really cheap to buy new, and even cheaper to buy on ebay. Good quality, accurate mechanism, and matches the interior.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-V...spagenameZWDVW
Mad-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:19 AM   #10
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Machine View Post
Why go with autometer, greddy, or any of the others when you can get a good cheap gage that fits in perfectly with the interior of your car.. and only reads to 15psi?

VDO makes such a gage. Availible in both Cockpit (traditional side lighting) and Vision (through gage lighting, like stock) that read to 15psi and are really cheap to buy new, and even cheaper to buy on ebay. Good quality, accurate mechanism, and matches the interior.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-V...spagenameZWDVW
That is an electrical gauge which means it requires an additional sending unit. There are lots of gauges out there, I've always been impressed with AutoMeter quality and design, that's why I recommended it. It's nice to have a gauge that also reads vacuum so you can diagnosis a vacuum leak. This is what I have:

'99 Dinan M3
Old 09-26-2006, 01:22 AM   #11
HuGo

ok so autometer 0-30psi. And a good read on vacuum is 10-15 right? Will look for one.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 09-26-2006, 01:23 AM   #12
HuGo

so when in idle it goes to vacuum and when your in gears it turns to the psi side?

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 09-26-2006, 02:03 AM   #13
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

No more help until you read "Supercharged!" by Corky Bell. You can buy it on Amazon.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 09-26-2006, 02:23 AM   #14
HuGo

Quote:
No more help until you read "Supercharged!" by Corky Bell. You can buy it on Amazon.
Ill just visit boarders and sit down and read it for a while.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...

Old 09-26-2006, 11:21 PM   #15
HuGo

I bought my gauge. 65 bucks oh well. Atleast ill know if im losing boost. This is the one i purchased. Its 2 1/16 inches.

Now, this gauge is pretty long and i have no idea where i would even place it

I want to place my gauge right behind the cigarette lighter, that little whole to put stuff.

But the gauge itself fits in there but the back part is long. And the screws in the back do not unscrew (circles in red). So it will be popping out a little. I really want to put it there but i wouldnt know how. I would have to cut out a big hole to put it in. Or maybe not cut the hole but how would i be able to put it in place.

[SIZE="4"]///M7

BMW ///Motorsport...