318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
Yesterday 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 949,061 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,648 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-19-2005, 05:56 PM   #1
bmwpwr

Default Loud banging noise in front suspension

I am getting this loud metal to metal noise out of the front left from the suspension. I will also hear a noise that sounds related when I apply the brakes. I pop from the left side. I took the brakes apart last night and pushed and pulled on all kinds of stuff last night but couldnt find anything.

May car sounds like a ford truck when I go over a bump. Any ideas??
bmwpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 06:04 PM   #2
CirrusSR22

Could be a front left ball joint. There are two of them up there.
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 06:52 PM   #3
maherbaz

I have a metal noise coming from the front left when I hit a bump also. I did the same thing as you, lifted it up and shook everything I could find, but couldn't find the source. If you find it, please let me know.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:26 AM   #4
L84THSKY

Motor mounts?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpwr
I am getting this loud metal to metal noise out of the front left from the suspension. I will also hear a noise that sounds related when I apply the brakes. I pop from the left side. I took the brakes apart last night and pushed and pulled on all kinds of stuff last night but couldnt find anything.

May car sounds like a ford truck when I go over a bump. Any ideas??

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 06:38 AM   #5
mischief

my car the nois comes from the right front
could be it the mounts or i replaced the drivers side wheelbearing last year the right side make the same nois i shacked the tire and felt some play

have you had anywork done anytime soon

i replaced all the lowercontrol arms,tie-rod,calipers,bushings,bushing mounts,shocks and springs and left side wheel bearing few months back
mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 07:50 PM   #6
bmwpwr

Ok, this is making me crazy. I have tracked the problem down to the left front brake. I took it a part and put it back together to make sure everything was tight. Everything seems to be tight. Ive still got the noise.

The reason I think it has something to do with the brake is because i can modulate the rattle sound by applying the brakes. With the brakes on there is no noise.

I cant figure it out...
bmwpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 08:10 PM   #7
stormos

mine has squeaked from the front right since i owned the car, has a new calliper too, stereo has helped to fix it..... well drown it out.....
Mods: • Magnex Cat-Back Exhaust • Smoked Corner Lights + Repeators • M3 17" Wheels • De-Baffled Air Box • AC HandBrake Handle and Gear Knob • DEPO Euro Epsiloids + Predator Chronium Rings • Chrome Interior bits •IE Poly-Urethane RSFMs • Kenwood Power Series Audio • Powder Coated e36 325 Front Callipers • Sports Seats
stormos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 11:27 PM   #8
angel318ti

I'm willing to bet that it is the motor mounts. I had the same problem. I had not 1, but 2 broken motor mounts.
angel318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 11:28 PM   #9
angel318ti

just grab a hold of your engine and shake it. That should be enought to tell you if they are bad
angel318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 09:41 AM   #10
96ti

kind of glad to know I'm not the only one
Old 08-02-2005, 03:19 PM   #11
maherbaz

anyone know how i can find the motor mounts or how hard they are to replace?
Old 08-04-2005, 12:42 AM   #12
maherbaz

Default don't look beyond the obvious

I've been trying to find where this rattle has been coming from for a month.....raise the car up, shake everything, take off the bumper, shake the engine, everything. Can't find it. Finally I notice I'm missing the brake pad clip, DUH. So anyone else hearing a rattle in the front, don't look beyond the obvious, is your clip still on?
Old 08-05-2005, 07:41 AM   #13
96ti

Yeah, it is the anti rattle clip that causes the noise. I over look it because the old clip was still on, but it doesn't work. I replaced it today, problem's gone.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:13 PM   #14
bmwpwr

I finally discovered what the noise was. it was the left front brake pads. They fit in the caliper and move around. I put new pads in and the noise is gone.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:59 AM   #15
FMD

Sorry to raise the dead but this problem has come up for me.

My left front suspension bangs, clunks, pops, whatever like crazy over dips and bumps and it even pops when I turn the wheel hard left to right while driving. I took the car up to 70 or more and let off and over uneven surfacings the front suspension (left) banged and clunked rapidly BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG and I can feel it very strongly in the steering wheel at this speed as well (wheel bangs slightly left and right with the sound).

My steering also seems to be out of alignment pulls to the right a bit with the wheel held straight.

I took the car to my mechanic today and we went for a drive and put the car on the lift; he inspected the front and he says he doesn't see anything out of order and checked torque on some of the nuts for the lower control arms, etc. We moved the swaybar (eibach) endlinks to soft since they looked like they were binding at the tight setting. The bang / clunk didn't go away and seems even more powerful now.

We're pretty stumped, and this sound is unbelievably HORRID. Like someone is letting the car have it with a mallet.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Edit: I should add that I've got Koni shocks on vogtland springs, control arms, polyurethane 'lollipop' bushings put in 2 summers ago.
FMD is offline   Reply With Quote