318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 993,710 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 08-19-2013, 06:06 AM   #1
netfatih

Vehicles
Default Does not crank :(

1997 318ti California Top Manual trans.

Here is the sad story and I don't know what I need to do, I dont want my ti to go to a junk yard

I drove my car around 20 miles to drop off my friend to his work six months ago. Everything was fine with the dashboard; temperature, fuel, etc.. When I was coming back from that place to my home, I was on highway and doing around 75 mphish. There was a little uphill on highway and I realize that my ti lost little bit power for that uphill. I looked at the dashboard and saw that temperature gauge was showing all the way hot. Instantly i put the car to the neutral but I couldn't turn off the car because it just turned off by itself whenever i put the to the car to the neutral. I pulled over the car to a gas station waited for an hour, and I added water to the radiator. I tried to start to car couple times, it didn't start but it was "cranking". Me and my friend checked the spark plugs and see 2 of the spark plugs had oil, 3rd one had little bit oil and the 4th one was clean. We changed the spark plugs (I am not sure it was properly changed or not). The car was doing the same thing after we changed the spark plugs. It wasn't starting but it was trying to crank. We tried to start the car couple times more and it stopped cranking.

Long story short, from that time the car is still not cranking and battery died. ( it does not hold the charge ( i tried to do jump start from a different car)). ( I didn't try bump start) So, what can I do from this point? Whenever I do the jump start car makes one click and after some time it makes, click click click click click.

I kept him for 6 months in front of my home and I don't want him to go to a junk yard. I had a great time with him. Daytona Beach, Miami, Charleston SC, Washington DC, Newyork and many places. So what can I do right now? What is his problem? I hope someone can help me over here. Thank you.

Last edited by netfatih; 08-19-2013 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Organization
netfatih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
BimmerBum

Vehicles

It sounds like you blew the head gasket on it when it overheated. At this point your battery is too far gone to crank the car. You need a fresh battery so you can see what you are working with. Start with a battery and a compression test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netfatih View Post
1997 318ti California Top Manual trans.

Here is the sad story and I don't know what I need to do, I dont want my ti to go to a junk yard

I drove my car around 20 miles to drop off my friend to his work six months ago. Everything was fine with the dashboard; temperature, fuel, etc.. When I was coming back from that place to my home, I was on highway and doing around 75 mphish. There was a little uphill on highway and I realize that my ti lost little bit power for that uphill. I looked at the dashboard and saw that temperature gauge was showing all the way hot. Instantly i put the car to the neutral but I couldn't turn off the car because it just turned off by itself whenever i put the to the car to the neutral. I pulled over the car to a gas station waited for an hour, and I added water to the radiator. I tried to start to car couple times, it didn't start but it was "cranking". Me and my friend checked the spark plugs and see 2 of the spark plugs had oil, 3rd one had little bit oil and the 4th one was clean. We changed the spark plugs (I am not sure it was properly changed or not). The car was doing the same thing after we changed the spark plugs. It wasn't starting but it was trying to crank. We tried to start the car couple times more and it stopped cranking.

Long story short, from that time the car is still not cranking and battery died. ( it does not hold the charge ( i tried to do jump start from a different car)). ( I didn't try bump start) So, what can I do from this point? Whenever I do the jump start car makes one click and after some time it makes, click click click click click.

I kept him for 6 months in front of my home and I don't want him to go to a junk yard. I had a great time with him. Daytona Beach, Miami, Charleston SC, Washington DC, Newyork and many places. So what can I do right now? What is his problem? I hope someone can help me over here. Thank you.

SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!

www.BimmerBum.com ALL NEW!
318ti Specific Parts For Sale
www.facebook.com/BimmerBum

BMWCCA #132203
95 318ti Club Sport
98 318ti Active S50 Swap

BimmerBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:54 AM   #3
netfatih

Vehicles

I tried to start the car from an another car ( Jump start). It didn't do anything. It just makes click noise and thats it..

I put a battery from a corolla (2000 model) and jump it from an another corolla (2001 model), it didn't crank again.

I think the car has to start cranking in order to make compression test.

Car has been sitting for six months..

Can engine might be locked or something?

Last edited by netfatih; 08-20-2013 at 04:37 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:29 AM   #4
BimmerBum

Vehicles

Quote:
I tried to start the car from an another car ( Jump start). It didn't do anything. It just makes click noise and thats it..

Can engine might be locked?
Swap a good battery into the car and go from there.

SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!

www.BimmerBum.com ALL NEW!
318ti Specific Parts For Sale
www.facebook.com/BimmerBum

BMWCCA #132203
95 318ti Club Sport
98 318ti Active S50 Swap

BimmerBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
Honolulu

If in fact the head gasket is a goner, there will be water in the cylinder(s). Water is incompressible and enough water in one or more cylinders will prevent the engine from turning over.

What to do? Remove your spark plugs one at a time and try cranking. One or more of the cylinders may blow a mist or gush of water out the spark plug hole... then you've confirmed the problem and location.

BTW... it matters NOT that you drove the car to heaven and/or hell and had a good time doing it. Do not love your car, it will not love you back. What you have at this point is a diagnostic problem. After diagnosis, the next step should be an economic decision, not an emotional one. It is far too easy to get in much further financially than is appropriate.
Honolulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
318iM44

Quote:

I put a battery from a corolla (2000 model) and jump it from an another corolla (2001 model), it didn't crank again.

I think the car has to start cranking in order to make compression test.

Can engine might be locked or something?
Based on this information, it sounds like the starter motor is not responding.
If that's the case, and assuming all of the jumper cables connections, battery, etc are good, it just need a good starter motor.

If you are sure that the car was in a good working condition, other than the starter motor, you can roll start the car (ONLY if it's manual transmission).

I will not recommend to roll start / push start it, if the car has an automatic transmission.
318iM44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:16 AM   #7
netfatih

Vehicles

I am very thankful for all the responses after a long time. Unfortunately, i sold my ti But currently i have 03 325ci and im still missing my ti. I will try to be around in here.. t
Thank you folks!!!