318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Maintenance

Notices

Maintenance Service Interval questions, oil change info.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 993,710 Views
  Share/Bookmark

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-18-2005, 10:31 PM   #1
Slynke

Default I Dont think this day could get any worse..

It all started off with finally getting around to changing my oil myself for the first time on this car. (I'm about 500 miles overdue)

So I went up to Discount Auto Parts, picked up the oil filter housing tool ($5), a 10qt pan ($6; same thing seen in other topics, with the grille to catch the bolt and all). I decided to give the filters they have in DAP a shot, since it was only $6 for the kit.

I get home, and get the car up in the air. Pop the filter housing off, and find out that the new filter I bought doesn't fit of course. No biggie, filters are actually good for about 12,000 miles anyways, so I don't think using the same one for 6,000 will hurt (besides, I can always replace it before then if need be).

Grab my 17mm socket, and strangley enough, it's too small for my bolt. I end up needing a 19mm. "Strange.." I thought, but no matter. Drained, dumped 4qts into the engine, and checked the levels. It was extremely high. I figured maybe if I let it run a little, it woudl settle down. Let it run, checked, same thing. Put it down on the ground, drove it around the block, only to notice the tranny is acting like a bitch.

Of course, I ****in' drained the tranny instead of the oil pan. (Now, I can honestly say, I still don't understand why the oil pan looks like a ****in AC compressor or something, I've never seen an oil pan with a damn grille on it). No biggie, I'll just pour the fluid back in. ****, there is no way to pour it in from the engine bay, once again, GAAAYY!

I do some research, and of course, I don't have a siphon (sp?), so I figure I will give it a shot doing it the same way you do the smaller pan, by taking it off, filling it, and putting it back on. Of course, in this process, I manage to lose a considerable amount of fluid.

So here I am now, contemplating whether to just do a whole new fluid replacement (requiring even more effort and time, which I would rather spend beating my BMW with a sledgehammer), or spending the extra $100 or so and having it done at a tranny shop..
'95 Hellrot Red 318ti • 18x8" E46 M3 Chromes • Eagle F1 GS-D3 (225/35/18) • Cosmo Racing CAI • Sony CDX-M800 Headunit • MTX Thunder 8000 Subwoofer • Audiobahn A8000T Amp • MTX Sledgehammer 12" Ported Box
Slynke is offline   Reply With Quote