318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Anything other than automotive related.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,003,677 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-07-2006, 03:26 AM   #1
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Default Navigation software

I'm taking a 2,000+ mile road trip in a couple weeks. I'll be driving from Madison to Denver and back over 7-9 days. I purchased Microsoft Streets and Trips 2006 with GPS locator today to help us find our way out West.

My question is: Has anyone had an experience using either S&T or any other kind of GPS software on a roadtrip? How did it work? Anything I should be careful of?

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 03:32 AM   #2
Platanos

I used Streets and Trips a few yeas ago and didn't like it, although I didn't have a GPS to go with it. I found it easier just to do it the old fashioned way. What kind of GPS do you have?
Old 07-07-2006, 04:04 AM   #3
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platanos
I used Streets and Trips a few yeas ago and didn't like it, although I didn't have a GPS to go with it. I found it easier just to do it the old fashioned way. What kind of GPS do you have?
It's a Pharos GPS adapter, it was included with the software.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 07-07-2006, 05:26 PM   #4
monk3y666

So how does that work? have you got the GPS connected to a laptop?

I bought a hand held PC (Mitac Mio 168) with built in GPS - nice & portable but the software is VERY average - thinking of getting TOM TOM software for it.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:35 PM   #5
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monk3y666
So how does that work? have you got the GPS connected to a laptop?

I bought a hand held PC (Mitac Mio 168) with built in GPS - nice & portable but the software is VERY average - thinking of getting TOM TOM software for it.
Yeah the GPS plugs into the laptop and the software runs on my laptop. It's nice to have a big screen to look at. The new version of S&T has turn by turn directions too, which is nice.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 07-07-2006, 11:33 PM   #6
stormos

www.carpc.com and www.mp3car.com i think are the best options, plenty of techies ready to assist
Mods: • Magnex Cat-Back Exhaust • Smoked Corner Lights + Repeators • M3 17" Wheels • De-Baffled Air Box • AC HandBrake Handle and Gear Knob • DEPO Euro Epsiloids + Predator Chronium Rings • Chrome Interior bits •IE Poly-Urethane RSFMs • Kenwood Power Series Audio • Powder Coated e36 325 Front Callipers • Sports Seats
stormos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 11:44 PM   #7
aceyx

I did a cross-country (Bos->NYC->LA, back) roadtrip 3 years ago. One car was equipped with a Garmin system, which was really only useful to figure out how far away we were.

For the most part, if you're sticking to interstates, it might not be useful. They're helpful in cities, but even more helpful is planning out your route ahead of time using google maps or something similar.

My best advice is to get a CB. You'll hear about speedtraps (hint: bear = police) and will get a head's up on traffic reports. The biggest annoyance wasn't getting lost, but hitting traffic or construction and getting stuck in it.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:38 AM   #8
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx
I did a cross-country (Bos->NYC->LA, back) roadtrip 3 years ago. One car was equipped with a Garmin system, which was really only useful to figure out how far away we were.

For the most part, if you're sticking to interstates, it might not be useful. They're helpful in cities, but even more helpful is planning out your route ahead of time using google maps or something similar.

My best advice is to get a CB. You'll hear about speedtraps (hint: bear = police) and will get a head's up on traffic reports. The biggest annoyance wasn't getting lost, but hitting traffic or construction and getting stuck in it.
Ohhhhh a CB is a great idea!!

Any recommendations? We're taking the Acura TL, so there is plenty of room for gadgetry in the car.

The main reason I purchased the S&T with GPS is because we don't really have a set schedule, or plan. Eventually we want to make it out to Denver, but we don't know what we are doing in between.

Eric, Greg (from SEAM) and others in the CO area. Want to meet up and possibly check the progress of Greg's SC kit? PM me if interested, then I'll start a new thread (I'm not sure how many Ti'ers are in CO).

'99 Dinan M3
Old 07-08-2006, 01:56 AM   #9
aceyx

A buddy of mine has the $25 Midland compact unit off ebay and it works fine. They also make a glass-mount antenna if you don't have a place you can really give a normal antenna grip. This antenna suffers a bit on tx though.

Best antenna out there is the Wilson K40/1000/5000, which you can get on a mag mount. Personal experience tells me to be wary, since they can get yanked off at 90mph+.

Best bet in your case is probably a trunk lid mount (won't work on a ti though) unless you have roof racks on the acura.

First, drop by RatShack and see if they have any radio units left over. They're all discontinued, so you can probably haggle. Quality units. Pick up a ($20) SWR meter while you're there, so you can tune the antenna correctly.