318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Wheels and Tires

Notices

Wheels and Tires Discussion of different brands of tires, sizes and wheels.

.
» Recent Threads
Track ti build (M52)
03-05-2016 03:00 PM
Last post by spidertri
Today 12:42 PM
58 Replies, 28,115 Views
Rudolph the Red 318ti
05-06-2019 10:49 PM
Last post by thenjnick
Today 07:10 AM
17 Replies, 1,926 Views
Rusty coolant
Today 06:57 AM
Last post by MisterM52
Today 06:57 AM
0 Replies, 71 Views
M-tech bumper - avus...
05-05-2019 02:41 PM
Last post by anassa
Today 06:47 AM
11 Replies, 1,739 Views
As Green as the Touge - ...
06-18-2016 02:47 PM
Last post by anassa
Today 06:25 AM
42 Replies, 22,315 Views
Another Swapped Ti
11-19-2016 06:43 PM
Last post by anassa
Today 06:17 AM
83 Replies, 38,792 Views
1997 318ti with cali...
09-30-2018 03:29 AM
Last post by kcr97cali
Yesterday 04:35 PM
8 Replies, 2,451 Views
I saw this post on...
05-15-2019 06:15 PM
Last post by anassa
Yesterday 07:07 AM
2 Replies, 603 Views
WTB: 3.45 differential
06-09-2019 02:36 AM
Last post by KGB318TI
Yesterday 12:53 AM
9 Replies, 591 Views
Spun Bearing. How do I...
06-13-2019 01:16 PM
Last post by joe1602
06-14-2019 04:21 PM
8 Replies, 383 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2019, 09:46 PM   #1
7Senna8
Member
 
7Senna8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: San Diego
Posts: 36
iTrader: (1)
Default Racing Dynamics RGR...will they fit?!

So a few years ago I snagged a set of Racing Dynamics RGR 17" wheels for dirt cheap, but...I am not sure if they will fit. Fronts are 17x8 ET38, rear 17x9 ET46. Their build date of 1993 predates the 318ti production, so likely they were meant for the E31 coupe, E32 sedan, E34 sedan or maybe the E36 Coupe. I have attached some photos of the rear wheel only mounted. It doesn't touch the shock or perch, but it is very close to the latter. I feel reasonably confident the front will clear fine, but I am not sure about the rear. If I have to sell them it won't hurt my feelings, as I'll go back to my 16x8 BBS RK's.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
__________________
  • 1985 318I Cosmosablau - sold
  • 1988 325is Hellrot Eurosport - sold
  • 1999 DINAN jet black 328I - sold
  • 1987 Ford "Merkur" XR4ti turbo - DD/AutoX
  • 2009 Audi A5 3.2 6speed - Sold
  • 1998 318ti "Hellrot" M-sport California - DAILY
7Senna8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:29 PM   #2
spidertri
Senior Member
 
spidertri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Elizabeth City, NC
Posts: 3,868
Vehicles
iTrader: (9)
Default

The front should clear no problem.

The rears seem like the right size for an E36 and it's easy to fix the wheel being too close to the perch, small spacer, harder to fix if it's too close to the fender. But I've run front wheels that had, maybe, 3mm gap to the coilover perch and it never made contact during autox/track.

What size tires do you want to run? 225 in front and 255 out back? I'd be more worried that you may need to roll the fender lip than the wheel contacting anything inboard.
__________________
~Dave~

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:44 AM   #3
7Senna8
Member
 
7Senna8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: San Diego
Posts: 36
iTrader: (1)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
The front should clear no problem.

The rears seem like the right size for an E36 and it's easy to fix the wheel being too close to the perch, small spacer, harder to fix if it's too close to the fender. But I've run front wheels that had, maybe, 3mm gap to the coilover perch and it never made contact during autox/track.

What size tires do you want to run? 225 in front and 255 out back? I'd be more worried that you may need to roll the fender lip than the wheel contacting anything inboard.
Tires I am 99% sure I will run 225/45 17 up front and 245/40/17 in the rear. Rear tire width should be near 9.3", which would work great. A friend was suggesting a small trimming of that edge of the perch. But I wonder if you or anyone have experience with this.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
__________________
  • 1985 318I Cosmosablau - sold
  • 1988 325is Hellrot Eurosport - sold
  • 1999 DINAN jet black 328I - sold
  • 1987 Ford "Merkur" XR4ti turbo - DD/AutoX
  • 2009 Audi A5 3.2 6speed - Sold
  • 1998 318ti "Hellrot" M-sport California - DAILY
7Senna8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:38 PM   #4
spidertri
Senior Member
 
spidertri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Elizabeth City, NC
Posts: 3,868
Vehicles
iTrader: (9)
Default

I just plugged the 17x9 ET46 into an offset calculator against the 17x8.5 ET40 wheels that I run and it moves inboard 12mm but leaves the same clearance on the outboard side. That gives me a lot more confidence that this is an E36 wheel based on your picture of the clearance. It's tight but it fits in the wheel well nicely.

I run 245/40 in the rear and have no issues on the outboard side, didn't have to do anything to the fender to fit that.

On the inboard side, I think you could definitely file down the edge of that perch. Just hit it with some undercoating or something to seal it up. If you just take a mm or two off where it is closest it won't hurt anything.
__________________
~Dave~

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:09 AM   #5
EtherD5
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 37
iTrader: (0)
Default

Yeah, that looks just about perfect to me.
__________________
Middle Tennessee area
1987 325is basket case (for sale)
1990 327s homebrew roots supercharged rat
1996 318ti California Edition
2003 X5 3.0 tool hauler
2003 540i MSport 6-speed grin extractor
EtherD5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:14 AM   #6
7Senna8
Member
 
7Senna8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: San Diego
Posts: 36
iTrader: (1)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
I just plugged the 17x9 ET46 into an offset calculator against the 17x8.5 ET40 wheels that I run and it moves inboard 12mm but leaves the same clearance on the outboard side. That gives me a lot more confidence that this is an E36 wheel based on your picture of the clearance. It's tight but it fits in the wheel well nicely.

I run 245/40 in the rear and have no issues on the outboard side, didn't have to do anything to the fender to fit that.

On the inboard side, I think you could definitely file down the edge of that perch. Just hit it with some undercoating or something to seal it up. If you just take a mm or two off where it is closest it won't hurt anything.
Awesome! Much appreciated!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
__________________
  • 1985 318I Cosmosablau - sold
  • 1988 325is Hellrot Eurosport - sold
  • 1999 DINAN jet black 328I - sold
  • 1987 Ford "Merkur" XR4ti turbo - DD/AutoX
  • 2009 Audi A5 3.2 6speed - Sold
  • 1998 318ti "Hellrot" M-sport California - DAILY
7Senna8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:57 AM   #7
ZEK
Senior Member
 
ZEK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: US
Posts: 265
Vehicles
iTrader: (0)
Default

I wouldn’t mess with filing anything down imo, your wheel shouldn’t come close to hitting that in it actually being on the ground. I always liked those wheels, enjoy!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
98 318Ti S52
84 318i M10 Zender
ZEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:17 PM   #8
7Senna8
Member
 
7Senna8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: San Diego
Posts: 36
iTrader: (1)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEK View Post
I wouldn’t mess with filing anything down imo, your wheel shouldn’t come close to hitting that in it actually being on the ground. I always liked those wheels, enjoy!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Nice! I'll try it and see how things go.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
__________________
  • 1985 318I Cosmosablau - sold
  • 1988 325is Hellrot Eurosport - sold
  • 1999 DINAN jet black 328I - sold
  • 1987 Ford "Merkur" XR4ti turbo - DD/AutoX
  • 2009 Audi A5 3.2 6speed - Sold
  • 1998 318ti "Hellrot" M-sport California - DAILY
7Senna8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB need 1 Racing Dynamics 17x8 RGR wheel warthog US and North America 0 05-14-2018 11:12 PM
all years FS: Racing Dynamics 16 x 8 RGR wheels and new tires - KY manydubs Parting out & Parts (US) 7 02-22-2018 01:11 PM
AL front and rear ti strut braces( racing dynamics and cosmo racing) hsvbama318ti US and North America 3 06-17-2010 07:58 AM
RACING DYNAMICS / BILSTEIN SUSPENSION FOR THE 318ti rdsport eBay and Craig's list listings 16 07-17-2008 03:42 AM
RACING DYNAMICS K30.4 BODY KIT FOR THE 318ti rdsport eBay and Craig's list listings 8 07-03-2008 04:28 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:13 PM.


.
Powered by site supporters
vBulletin Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, 318ti.org
© vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2
[page compression: 101.62 k/119.01 k (14.61%)]

318ti.org does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information or products discussed.