318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Electrical

Notices

Electrical All wiring questions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 971,071 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 2,026 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 09-21-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
t58martin

Default E36 brake lights, baffled

I have a 97' 318i. I have had nothing but problems with the brake lights. Mechanic said the problem was quite common on E36 and could fix for $420. Currently only the middle brake light is working. I have replaced bulbs and cleaned the contacts on the two rear lights (l & R) several times. Center brake light does not appear to be effected.

Is this a common problem with the E36, and if so what is the remedy?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
t58martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
kmsnsx

I don't know if you got this figured out, but one thing to look out for is make sure you have the correct bulb. When you go to Autozone or Advance auto or whatever, the computer gives you two options for brake bulbs, one is a single contact bottom and one is a dual contact bottom. You need the bulb with two contacts on the bottom. When I bought my car, someone had the incorrect single contact in there and the light would come on when the headlights were on but not operate as brake lights. Double check the bulb type.
kmsnsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
713bmw318ti

Vehicles

Their is also a switch that is on the driver side by the brake pedal that engages the brake lights that might be needing to be replaced. It has happend to my TI a couple times and replacing it always fixes the problem.

part number is 61318360420
713bmw318ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:45 PM   #4
hotmilk400

What problems are you having? you just say common problems, but if you tell us, we might be able to help you out. are you saying ONLY the middle light (ie, the light inside the hatch) is working, and NOT the rear tail lights??

if you did not already fix it, your mechanic has to tell you what is wrong (i mean, you paid him to find out what was wrong). if he said the cost and not what was wrong, i would def switch mechanics.
i feel like even if you had no idea what was wrong and could not find out, it would be much cheaper to just re-wire the system yourself.

I would first check the voltage at the rear lights.

remove the panel that holds the lights in, and check to see if you are getting a ground + a voltage source when you hit the brakes. do you turn signals and driving lights work in the rear? only the brake lights failed?

If you do not get a +positive voltage when you press in the pedal, maybe a relay is bad or a wire got pinched and broke. if you still have the problem and did not get it fixed, i can tell you what and how to test it next, but i do not want to waste time if you already got it fixed.

you could also cheat and just re-wire the brake lights yourself and bypass the need to solve the real problem.
the only thing i can think of is:

Fuse blew
relay went bad (stuck open)
or more likely, a short circuit hit the system, shorted out the control unit and destroyed the unit (which would make scene with the $400 price tag)
the new units are expensive, but people parting out cars(like me) can not even give them away. you could pick up one pretty cheap if that is the case.

anyway, if you did not fix it yet, let me know. i will get them working for you.

Green Your Decor with the Aspect! Shop for the Grow Light Used by Interior Designers, Growers & People Like You!
hotmilk400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
wonderjuizen315

im seem to be having a bit of a problem with my taillights/brake lights perhaps u could shed some light on first off the taillights on the passenger side do not work at all.Also if i turn the key on and the headlight switch on with the brake light switch unplugged naturally the brake lights dont light up,but if i plug the brakelight switch in and hit the brakes it illuminates the brake lights (both sides including rear windowbar)and they stay on unless i unplug the switch again now could that mean a bad switch.i am new to bmw so im kinda scratching my head
wonderjuizen315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #6
drivinfaster

it would appear to be so..., at least based upon the description...that your brake lights do not work, unless you turn the headlights on, *then* they work?? (this is with the key in the run position)

sounds like you could have additional issues, tho....

df
drivinfaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
Ferocious318

I just picked up a '96, 318i, convertible, 5 speed. Noticed the brake light on the left side was not working so I decided to swap out all the bulbs. Everything works including the 3rd brake light on the trunk (boot) but the left and right ones don't light up. The computer displays a message Faulty brake lights. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ferocious318 is offline   Reply With Quote