318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Maintenance

Notices

Maintenance Service Interval questions, oil change info.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,023,279 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-17-2006, 05:21 PM   #1
L84THSKY

Default Sea Foam Additive

I had a few hours to kill down in Aberdeen yesterday. I went into Advance Auto Parts to get a rear wiper blade. As I strolled along the aisles I said, "I wonder if they have that Sea Foam stuff". Right there in front of me was a shelf full of the stuff. I bought three cans.

My question is, where and how much should I put in my car? Also, how do I add the stuff to the different places it needs it. I mean as in how do I get it into the hoses and or other difficult places.

Thanks
Eric

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 05:30 PM   #2
Panzer_M

what is it?
http://www.cfbmw.org/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=1
Panzer_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 06:01 PM   #3
Montius

Seafoam can be used a couple of ways, in the oil, fuel, or through a vacuum line. They recommend pouring some into the oil a hundred or so miles before an oil change, or you can pour it in to a full tank of fuel. For the vacuum line, you should get the vehicle up to operating temp and suck it into the intake using one of the vacuum lines. It helps to have someone with you to keep the rpm's up as the vehicle will want to stall with the huge vacuum leak you have created by removing the line. Suck about 1/3 or 1/2 a can into the intake and shut the vehile off, then let it sit for 10 minutes or so. When you start the vehicle back up it should smoke like crazy. Take the car for a good drive to burn it all out of the system, and you are done. I hope this helps, if you have any more questions let me know.

Cris
Montius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:03 PM   #4
aceyx

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6997
Old 02-18-2006, 04:24 PM   #5
L84THSKY

I was jumping through some threads on this stuff, and came across this picture. I hope the Sea Foam didnt cause this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
Old 02-18-2006, 08:25 PM   #6
1rstbmw!

I've looked for SEAfoam in all the auto stores in my town and still can't find it.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:25 AM   #7
pdxmotorhead

Its primarily a Marine engine service product, talk to local Boat shops.

Very effective top end cleaner and lubricant.

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:10 AM   #8
318tiRedLeather

If it is a high milage engine and you put it in the oil. Could this not cause the engine to start burning oil?
K&N Cone Filter with Heat Shield, Racing Dynamics Strut bar, Blisten yellow sport suspension, Clears all around, Angel eyes, Dinan Engine Chip, Infinity BassLink 10" Sub, Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel
318tiRedLeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:43 AM   #9
pdxmotorhead

It could, I would not use a high detergent additive in the oil of any high mile engine. Sea Foam can be used as a fogging oil, you let the engine suck it through the intake and what your doing is cleaning valves and pistons. Its a really good treatment for storing an engine....

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:31 PM   #10
L84THSKY

I added a bottle to my gas tank, and another to my oil. Then I changed my oil about 75 miles later. I think this product works good. My car does feel like it has better/smoother response. Next is to suck some into the intake manifold.

Can any one tell me exactly what vacuum hose would be best to suck it into?
A picture would be best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
Its primarily a Marine engine service product, talk to local Boat shops.

Very effective top end cleaner and lubricant.

Dave

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 03-03-2006, 10:58 PM   #11
CaliDohBoy

Be happy to help... just did this the other weekend on the wife's ti. I found the easiest place to do it is the brake booster line "nipple" off of the intake manifold. Buy 1 foot of small vacuum line from the shop to use as a straw.

After getting your car up to temp and uncovering the throttle cable (to keep the revs up) remove the vacuum line from the intake manifold. Now is when your buddy or your third hand should maintain a high rpm idle. It should be located here:

Click image for larger version Name:	intakemanifold.JPG Views:	193 Size:	14.3 KB ID:	1399

Next, take your "straw" and place one end in your "drink" (seafoam can). Place the other end just inside the opening of the nipple. You should see it sucking it through the "straw" and into your engine.

Once you've sucked in what you're gonna suck in (you may start to see smoke come out the exhaust). Shut off the engine. (FYI cover the vacuum hole when trying to shut off the engine cus it won't want to shut off with the leak!)

Wait 10 minutes or so. Hook all the vacuum lines back up and then start the car. Make sure ALL your doors are closed (house door included) cuz its SMOKE SCREEN TIME!!!!. I revved mine up a little during this period and then let it idle. It kept smoking so I took it for a little spin on the freeway. Smoke was gone when I was done and it runs GREAT.

Hope that helps. I'll turn this into a DIY or KB after I take some pics this weekend so EVERYONE will know.

--Jeff
CaliDohBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:20 PM   #12
96ti

Where may I get sea foam in South Cali? I went to Kragen; they have a bunch of additive there but no sea foam.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:56 PM   #13
CaliDohBoy

AutoZone is where I got mine.
CaliDohBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:43 PM   #14
Etienne

Wow. I put some through my car (212k) and drove her through the lancaster country side spewing white smoke for a while. One of the funnest drives I've had in a while. I wasn't blown away, but it definitely made a difference. Granted I have 3/4 of the bottle in my gas right now, so I guess I'll see how she runs on a clean tank of gas.

purchased at auto-zone.

image from: http://www.lasershows.ro/site/ro/graficalaser.htm
Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 04:15 PM   #15
motorwerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96ti
Where may I get sea foam in South Cali? I went to Kragen; they have a bunch of additive there but no sea foam.
They now have the whole line at Pep Boys (SeaFoam, DeepCreep, etc). I used to go to AutoZone and NAPA to purchase this. This stuff really works (not Snake Oil) and I've been using the product for the last 3 years on all my cars. Got my co-workers to try it on their cars and they are completely satisfied. Good luck!!! motorwerk
motorwerk is offline   Reply With Quote