10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 992,868 Views
Closed Thread Share/Bookmark

Old 04-06-2009, 01:55 AM   #1
sprzesmi

Default 98 w/bad HG for sale in MA, M3 front, leather, 5spd $2000

Please note: The price is so low because the vehicle has a blown head gasket and needs engine repair. I popped the coolant line off the PCV valve and overheated it. Coolant line is now repaired, but white smoke was coming out the exhaust after it was towed home and the coolant refilled. I had trouble restarting after shutting down so I assume the HG is gone. You shouldn't drive this car home until it is repaired. This is a great opportunity to get a great car for a steal and swap a 6 cylinder engine in, or just fix it and have a great car. It is for sale instead of being repaired it because I have 4 cars and I wish to sell at least two of them by summer. I now work in DC the majority of the month and we will be moving from the Boston area to DC soon. We simply won't have room for 4 cars so I would prefer to just unload this one. I also have a 1996 BMW Z3 with 67k miles for sale if you are interested. The Z3 is advertised on washingtondc.craigslist since I have it in DC. Give me a call or PM, 303-619-3267. I copied the following from my craigslist (Boston) ad. boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/1108746808.html 1998 BMW 318ti with approximately 102,000 miles. 5 speed manual transmission. The engine is the M44 1.9L (everyone here knows this, but it was on craigslist) and the car got a steady 30 mpg before the bad HG. Silver exterior and gray leather interior. The car has electronic stability control and ABS which makes it a breeze to drive in the snow, especially with the included snow tires. Other features are trip computer with temperature, mpg, miles to empty, avg speed. Cruise control. Power windows with one touch up and down. Keyless entry. Fold down rear seats for extra storage room. Dual front airbags. 3M tint on the windows with a lifetime warranty against fading. Harman Kardon premium sound with 10 speakers. Blaupunkt Hamburg MP68 radio and wired up for a sub in the trunk. The Blaupunkt radio has built in bluetooth so you can operate your phone from it and go totally hands-free. It also has a USB port for your Ipod.. The tires are like new. I just purchased 4 brand new Bridgestone Potenza's last summer and use different tires in the winter (they have less than 10k miles). The winter tires are also on BMW alloy wheels with about 10K miles on Michelin Pilot Alpine winter tires. Therefore, you get 8 BMW alloy wheels with 8 very new tires with this car. The leather is excellent shape with no tears or rips. The rest of the interior is also in excellent shape. Additionally, the front end has been changed to an M3 style front end because I thought it looks better. Because of this, the entire front end has new paint almost no stone chips. Other than engine, this car is in great condition and needs nothing other than the head gasket repair now. I am an engineer and perform maintenance much more strictly than recommended. I also use synthetic oil and OEM parts. Recent maintenance in the past 15k miles of use includes: Coolant flush and change, changed manual transmission fluid with synthetic, bled and flushed all brake fluid lines and filled with ATE super blue, new BMW air filter, new belts, new plugs and wires, wheel alignment.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:02 AM   #2
performanceisland

so whcih parts of the car were painted exactly? any scratches or dings or dents? i am interested.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:15 AM   #3
sprzesmi

I have a sale pending right now if you are looking at this post. If you wish to be contacted if the sale falls through, please email me. I have more pics at web.mit.edu/sprzesmi/www/

The entire front was painted. I went the cheap route and used Maaco. They were supposed to blend the hood, front, and fenders. They must have assumed this meant painting all of them without blending After the 4th attempt at painting, I gave up and just left Therefore, the front is a little darker but most people don't notice unless told or the lighting is right. One of my pictures shows the color difference very well.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:19 AM   #4
sprzesmi

No dings, scratches, or rust. The car is originally from Seattle and hasn't seen much salt. I have been under the car a lot and there underside is also clear. Steering and suspension are very tight.

Also, the Blaupunkt radio is a new model and aftermarket - not factory.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:27 AM   #5
Evilpeople_inc

Pictures might help you sell anything that you are! please post some
Old 04-09-2009, 11:17 PM   #6
sprzesmi

My pics are at http://web.mit.edu/sprzesmi/www/
Old 04-09-2009, 11:44 PM   #7
sprzesmi

Default Car sold

The car is sold, and I already had several people contact me if the sale falls through. Thanks for all the interest. 318ti forums is so much better than craigslist for selling to enthusiastic and knowledgeable people. I can't stand all the knuckle heads on craigslist that feel the need to email their stupidity and jerk you around. I feel the need to donate to the website since I have benefited. Thanks again 318ti.org.

On a general rant, I end up answering about 5-10 emails and phone calls with offers to buy my stuff (not cars) on craigslist for those who actually show up. Why agree on a price and never show? Selling cars is just as bad. I would recommend to anyone selling a car on CL to not agree to a price until they view the car and have some cash for a down payment. With subwoofers and computers - not a big deal.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:31 AM   #8
dahamler

So who did this car go to and what did they have planned for it?
Old 04-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #9
jasper

I hope to snag it this week....tomorrow......? Original plans conversion (2.8 / M3) are on hold. New plan is to get her head fixed. Conversion cost reached M3 car cost. auto engineerig lexingtgon or marc at 2002 Racing cambridge, any good ones to recommend in the boston area? I love these cars, with the advise of this forum I bought my 95 three years ago. We painted our house to match it! It's been great, but an accident damaged front left quarter, both a pillars need replacing, there is rust bubbling on both wheel wells and needs cat back exhaust. Will put up soon on craiglistboston or here. $1500 / bo Small world, Steve & I are from Michigan.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:55 PM   #10
dahamler

How about you give me the car and I'll fix that head gasket for you?
Old 04-18-2009, 10:38 PM   #11
sprzesmi

Steve dropped a check off today, so the car is gone officially even if it sits in my driveway for a few more days awaiting a destination for the tow truck.

Good luck with the repair, I hope she runs for another 100k afterward.
Closed Thread