318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Misc

Notices

Misc Does not fit in any of the forums below.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 992,868 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-11-2005, 01:14 PM   #1
ddiorio1313

Default Gas Mileage Really Bad

Well, I have been getting really, really bad gas mileage lately (19 or less in the city, and 24 or less on the highway). My check enginge light had been on for about 3 or 4 weeks. I finally got the time to take it in and supposedly after I got all this work done my gas mileage was going to get better. So here is what I had done:

- New Spark Plugs
- New Air Filter
- New Mass Air Sensor(this is why my CEL was on, also supposed to be the main thing to fix the mileage)
- New Battery
- New Fuel Filter
- New Belts

I think that is about it. Well after all that, my gas mileage still hasn't seemed to improve. I haven't had the chance to take it out on the freeway and give it a good hour or two, but I shouldn't have to to see the improvements. What do you guys think it could be?

I don't have any mods on the car so I know it is not that. And since it was low on gas when it left the mechanics I even put Sunoco 94 octane in it. I normally run 93 octane. So, what the hell is up?

Thanx for any help!
Old 01-12-2005, 08:54 PM   #2
robcarync

same kinda problem here...my mileage was pretty bad...and i took it in and got new airfilter, spark plugs, o2 sensor...etc...inppection II service stuff...

and my mileage hasnt gotten any better...dunno why...i get about 19 average all...i used to get 30 mpg...but hey its all good i got money
Pioneer Speakers [] Aluminum Billet door locks [] ACS Pedals/Deadrest [] ACS Shift Knob / E-Brake Handle [] Clear Corners/Tails/Sides [] Sylvania Exterior Lighting [] Custom CAI [] Dinan Engine Chip [] Dinan Transmission Chip [] H&R Race Springs [] Tokico Illumina Shocks [] BMW X-Brace [] Relocated Lighter Mod [] Custom iPod Mod
http://www.cardomain.com/id/robcarync
robcarync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 01:29 AM   #3
1996 328ti

Vehicles

Mileage tends to decrease in the winter due to different additives in fuel.
Shouldn't be that drastic though.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 02:12 PM   #4
ddiorio1313

I am probablly going to take a highway trip this weekend around 60 miles one way. I am going to reset my OBC once I get on the highway and see if my mileage gets back up to where it used to be. Before all this happened, I would take a trip to Georgia, almost 800 miles one way and I would average between 34-38 mpg. I am hoping to at least get around 32 on this trip this weekend. We will see though. I will post my data when I return.

Would Fuel injectors have anything to do with the gas mileage? Like robcarync said I basicaly had a service II inspection done, minus the o2 sensors. The car is running fantastic, just not getting the mileage I expected....
Old 01-17-2005, 08:26 PM   #5
ddiorio1313

Well I never got to take the long trip this weekend, because on Friday my car kinda took a crap. I was at the bank and I ran in to get some money. I left my car running, when I came back out it had stalled. I tried starting it and it stalled, again and again and again. Finally I just coasted it back from the curb, put it into nuetral and gave it some gas to keep the engine running and drop it into drive. I got it going and then it stalled again. Repeated the process got it moving again. Then for about a mile back to my house the RPMs where up and down no matter how much gas I was giving it. It nearly stalled a few more times. By the time I got it home the idle was back to normal, I popped the hood to see if anything had come loose or if a belt had broke. Nothing! I let it sit over night and decided the next day to start it. It fired right up. I didn't want to drive it though so I just pulled it up to the end of driveway. I am going to take it back to the mechanic today. One thing that did bother me about when it was stalling for the first few hundred feet I drove I heard some klunking coming from under the car. Not real sure what that was. We will see what the mechanic has to say?
Old 01-18-2005, 06:34 AM   #6
robcarync

my milegae initially dropped rom 30ish to 20ish last winter...i was like...ehh its winter...fuel isnt as efficient...no big deal

the weather warmed up and it never got better...took it in for inspection II servicing which replaced air filter and such...and it hasnt gotten any better...

so i dont know whats causing it...

but in other news...my passenger side window clips exploded last weekend...BLAH
Pioneer Speakers [] Aluminum Billet door locks [] ACS Pedals/Deadrest [] ACS Shift Knob / E-Brake Handle [] Clear Corners/Tails/Sides [] Sylvania Exterior Lighting [] Custom CAI [] Dinan Engine Chip [] Dinan Transmission Chip [] H&R Race Springs [] Tokico Illumina Shocks [] BMW X-Brace [] Relocated Lighter Mod [] Custom iPod Mod
http://www.cardomain.com/id/robcarync
robcarync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 01:25 PM   #7
ddiorio1313

Well, there is definititley something wrong with it. I drove my car to the mechanic and it drove fine all the way there. So, I said F it I am not going to spend anymore money right now. I talked to my mechanic and we decided it was probablly bad gas or ice. So I drove it about 10 miles and 2 starts later it started to stall on me again. I was able to keep it running until I got to the store I was going to. As soon as I got parked plop it stalled. I restarted it and sure as **** the CEL was on. I managed to drive it back to the mechanics without a single problem except the CEL. So, I hope to find out today what the deal is.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:44 PM   #8
ddiorio1313

Got my car back yesterday. It wasn't anything that I had already had fixed, just bad timing. The Cam Shaft Sensor went bad so I had to get that replaced. I haven't had the chance to drive it very much, so we will see if that was the real problem or not....