318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > eBay and Craig's list listings

Notices

eBay and Craig's list listings Listings of interest or amusement.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 100,124 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 63,036 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 60,270 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-03-2007, 12:37 PM   #1
jkilla71

Location: Ft Lauderdale, Fl moving to Eastern PA in May of 2007
Default REAR SUBFRAME BUSHING UPGRADE

Does anybody have these installed on your car? Can you feel a difference?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-e...73223468QQrdZ1
Old 01-03-2007, 02:37 PM   #2
L84THSKY

I installed them in the Fall. Can't find the thread where I showed pics of how I did it. They feel fine to me, worth the few bucks, not hard to put in. You can't always put your "feel" on whether a product is making a difference. I looked at the problem with the stock design, and concluded the inserts made sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilla71 View Post
Does anybody have these installed on your car? Can you feel a difference?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-e...73223468QQrdZ1

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:39 PM   #3
1996 328ti

Vehicles

You have no clue who makes them.
I doubt all urethane bushings are the same.

I have Ireland Engineering urethane bushings.
Some people feel the car is more planted.
I think it's more twitchy when I go over a bump.
Maybe it's the urethane rear trailing arm bushings I also have.
A local, highly regarded, performance shop told me to stick with rubber.
I should have listened to them. YMMV.

Are your subframe bushings shot?
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:53 PM   #4
L84THSKY

That is exactly why I liked the idea of the inserts. This false belief that going to urethane bushings is the magic pill confuses people.

Look at the design of the stock bushing. As I stated in another thread, the gaps are one issue and the compound of the bushing is the other. Going urethane may or may not be the best idea. If experts are saying stick with rubber, then the inserts are a win-win idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post
A local, highly regarded, performance shop told me to stick with rubber.
I should have listened to them. YMMV.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
Old 01-03-2007, 03:45 PM   #5
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY View Post
That is exactly why I liked the idea of the inserts. This false belief that going to urethane bushings is the magic pill confuses people.
If experts are saying stick with rubber, then the inserts are a win-win idea.
Aren't the inserts made of urethane? Has anyone had these in long enough to know if how long they hold up? If they crack or break, with they do more damage than good?

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:59 PM   #6
L84THSKY

The inserts are only intended to reduce movement where there was no rubber. I'm no expert, but I think the inserts are plastic, not urethane. The bottom line is the rubber bushing is still doing most of the support, not the insert.

Ask the seller for any long term reliability or durability testimonials.

One thing I'm sure of. I had the front and rear alignment done PRIOR to putting these inserts in. When I returned to have the front alignment redone, because I had mounted the front camber kit wrong, the mechanic said my rear was way off. He asked me if I messed with the rear end. I said no, then realized I had recently put the inserts in. He assumed the rear camber kit bolts came loose, but in reality, it was the inserts that threw the rear alignment off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT View Post
Aren't the inserts made of urethane? Has anyone had these in long enough to know if how long they hold up? If they crack or break, with they do more damage than good?

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 01-03-2007, 06:35 PM   #7
jkilla71

Location: Ft Lauderdale, Fl moving to Eastern PA in May of 2007

I have replaced the trailing arm bushings with the Bavauto camber kit and it was worth every penny.(500 parts and labor)The handling and feel was definitely improved. I guess I will give it a try for $30 how can I go wrong.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:51 PM   #8
mooseheadm5

IMO the urethane bushings transmit too much vibration and stress the other components of the car too much. They are for the track. The inserts look good to me (not sure how they could throw the allignment off by much) because they are only there to fill the gaps and only do any supporting when you corner. Can't see them causing any damage if they were to disintegrate. ti's seem to eat cross member bushings faster than any E30 we have seen, so I would wager that by the time the inserts are done, the bushings should probably have been replaced a couple of times.
My $0.02
-Paul
mooseheadm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 08:34 PM   #9
L84THSKY

I threw off my alignment, because the inner two inserts are a bitch to get inserted. In the pics you will see me use a cargo strap to force the center bolt outward enough to fit the inserts.

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthrea...hlight=inserts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseheadm5 View Post
The inserts look good to me (not sure how they could throw the allignment off by much) because they are only there to fill the gaps and only do any supporting when you corner.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 01-03-2007, 08:37 PM   #10
L84THSKY

I've replaced my traling arm bushings too, with the BavAuto camber kit. $250.00 for parts, and alot of blood sweat and tears, but no labor cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilla71 View Post
I have replaced the trailing arm bushings with the Bavauto camber kit and it was worth every penny.(500 parts and labor)The handling and feel was definitely improved. I guess I will give it a try for $30 how can I go wrong.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd