318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 98,848 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 61,722 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 59,084 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-22-2005, 07:26 AM   #16
bmwracerchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrash
Aw, that'll break Rob's heart. ;}

Back to the headliner... I guess I was wondering if it were possible to inject some adhesive into a small sagging area rather than replace the whole thing. If I had to replace the whole thing, it would be really tempting to use some shag carpet (complete with the 'dangling fuzzy ball' trim) to give the interior a "1970's party van" vibe. heh heh

oh lord...if you do pray I dont see your car rolling around in my area
Old 07-22-2005, 07:34 AM   #17
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

heh heh... IF I were to do that, you'd be the first one I'd visit. LOL

I can see it now... sculpted shag carpet floor and roof, probably some funky shade of green or orange... I'd paint the interior plastic to look wood grain... 8-ball gear shift knob... dangling fuzzy ball trim around all the windows... upholster the seats with something really fuzzy... pine tree air freshener hangin from the rear view mirror. I'd probably have to find an old custom van in a junk yard for inspiration. Oh yeah... and it wouldn't be complete without a bumper sticker that says "If this car's a'rockin' don't come a'knockin'!!!" LOL

Or... it could be the redneck theme... confederate flag and gun rack in the back window... the horn plays Dixie... more primer and bondo showing than actual paint.... heh heh

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 08:36 AM   #18
stormos

no shipping included. just the headlining and fitting. it'd be stiched alacantara though.... I SOOOOO WISH I HAD SPARE CASH!!!
Mods: • Magnex Cat-Back Exhaust • Smoked Corner Lights + Repeators • M3 17" Wheels • De-Baffled Air Box • AC HandBrake Handle and Gear Knob • DEPO Euro Epsiloids + Predator Chronium Rings • Chrome Interior bits •IE Poly-Urethane RSFMs • Kenwood Power Series Audio • Powder Coated e36 325 Front Callipers • Sports Seats
stormos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 03:34 PM   #19
bmw318tiChic

Quote:
Aw, that'll break Rob's heart. ;}

Back to the headliner... I guess I was wondering if it were possible to inject some adhesive into a small sagging area rather than replace the whole thing. If I had to replace the whole thing, it would be really tempting to use some shag carpet (complete with the 'dangling fuzzy ball' trim) to give the interior a "1970's party van" vibe. heh heh

You can try, but I tried injecting some adhesive in, and first of all, you need to make a hole/cut large enough to move the glue around, gluing it at one small point won't help. Second, all that old rotted foam kinda shows and it looks disgusting... my headliner looks like it had surgery and the cut didn't heal (cuz of the foam) ew
bmw318tiChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 04:39 PM   #20
roadrash

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw318tiChic
You can try, but I tried injecting some adhesive in, and first of all, you need to make a hole/cut large enough to move the glue around, gluing it at one small point won't help.
Hmmm... yeah, I was visualizing making a tiny hole and using a thin, spray-on adhesive. No idea if such an adhesive exists... that's just the vision I had. Seems like it'd be better to just do it right and replace it.

Quote:
Second, all that old rotted foam kinda shows and it looks disgusting... my headliner looks like it had surgery and the cut didn't heal (cuz of the foam) ew
Sounds like a liposuction gone bad. ;} Ew, indeed!

So, what are ya gonna do about it? If you're going to replace it, I think you'd be a great candidate to be the guinea pig for the "1970's shag carpet headliner" experiment.

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
Old 07-22-2005, 05:57 PM   #21
bmw318tiChic

Quote:
Hmmm... yeah, I was visualizing making a tiny hole and using a thin, spray-on adhesive. No idea if such an adhesive exists... that's just the vision I had. Seems like it'd be better to just do it right and replace it.
Yeah, that is what I tried, but it doesn't really work.. Also, the glue residue shows through and it looks all gross.

Quote:
So, what are ya gonna do about it? If you're going to replace it, I think you'd be a great candidate to be the guinea pig for the "1970's shag carpet headliner" experiment.
Haha, nooo I don't want shag carpet in my ti! Although.. it would be kind of interesting... lol. I really do need to get a new headliner soon :/
Old 07-22-2005, 06:07 PM   #22
bmw318tiChic

Here are pics of what happened after I tried gluing my headliner.. I'm telling you, DON'T DO IT! Just get a new one... I'm so ashamed :/

Old 07-22-2005, 06:37 PM   #23
cali-ti
aka Stabby

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwww
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 07:39 PM   #24
roadrash

Vehicles

Quote:
I tried gluing my headliner.. I'm telling you, DON'T DO IT!
What kind of adhesive did you use? I found this adhesive that's apparently "the right stuff to use."

That company also sells carpet... It's not shag, but I think the purple would probably be "you." heh heh

Old 07-22-2005, 08:58 PM   #25
stormos

it's not shag, but i'd test it using that word in another context!
Mods: • Magnex Cat-Back Exhaust • Smoked Corner Lights + Repeators • M3 17" Wheels • De-Baffled Air Box • AC HandBrake Handle and Gear Knob • DEPO Euro Epsiloids + Predator Chronium Rings • Chrome Interior bits •IE Poly-Urethane RSFMs • Kenwood Power Series Audio • Powder Coated e36 325 Front Callipers • Sports Seats
stormos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 09:24 PM   #26
bmw318tiChic

Quote:
What kind of adhesive did you use?
I don't remember what I used, but I think it was the kind that you are supposed to use on headliners.

Quote:
That company also sells carpet... It's not shag, but I think the purple would probably be "you." heh heh
Haha, the blue would be much better. If I had yellow it would be like a bumble bee..... lol.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:48 PM   #27
Donovan

My headliners turning into sun visor. What's the best way to deal with this? If I have it done should I just have the whole liners replaced or just the affected area (pillars)? If diy with adhesive spray (like 3M I saw at walmart )would that prove to be a mistake?

They look like sun visors now later they'll be curtains.

Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 09:54 PM   #28
bmw318tiChic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan
My headliners turning into sun visor. What's the best way to deal with this? If I have it done should I just have the whole liners replaced or just the affected area (pillars)? If diy with adhesive spray (like 3M I saw at walmart )would that prove to be a mistake?
You can try, but in my opinion, it would be a mistake. I don't know if you saw the pics I posted earlier, but it ends up not looking too good.. the adhesive soaks through.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:13 PM   #29
pdxmotorhead

3M sells a lot of different adhesives. The one you want is spray contact adhesive.
You need too spray teh back of the piece your gluing then the thing your gluing to.

You let it air dry to the touch then press them together.

Might find it as a BMW part number somewhere because the dealers need to do this
repair once in a while....

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 11:40 PM   #30
cali-ti
aka Stabby

i tried using the 3M adhesive on my ex-gf's headliner. the problem is the old fabric/headliner left some foam/adhesive on the headliner and although it stuck for awhile, before too long the new fabric fell as well (really pissing me off after having worked on it that long). if you're keeping the car and really want it to look good, maybe having a pro do it is worth it (or else find out how they do the whole process!).
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote