318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Wheels and Tires

Notices

Wheels and Tires Discussion of different brands of tires, sizes and wheels.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,005,319 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-03-2007, 06:20 AM   #1
PettitWC

Default SNOW TIRES

As none of you know I'm moving to Wyoming in August so I'm looking for some snow tires. I searched and couldn't find any specific comparisons.

right now I'm looking at

Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50s

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....nSpeedRating=H

and

Nokian Hakkapeliitta 2s

http://www.tiresbyweb.com/pc-5171-12...eliitta-2.aspx

there's a huge price difference but I've heard great things about the Nokians so I am keeping in the chase based on that. Does anyone have experience with Nokians or justification to go for the Bridgestones?

thanks a bunch,
Chris

1997 318ti

'cause I'm a Balla Baby

FACEBOOK!!
MY SPACE!!
PettitWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:26 AM   #2
aceyx

For Wyoming I would DEFINITELY spend the extra cash on the Hakka's. Or even buy a cheap (~$500) 4WD.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:26 AM   #3
ATF

I wish I had an answer for you, but I'll be watching this thread closely because I'm also in the market for a set of snow tires when I'm at school up in Boston, so any information is greatly appreciated!

bump

BMWCCA #403399
2012 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 6-Speed
Loaded
2001 325xi, Winter Package, 5-Speed
Traded
1998 318ti, Active, Automatic, TOTAL LOSS R.I.P. 10/20/08
Bilstein Sport Shocks/Struts . H&R Sport Springs . Strut Reinforcement Plates . RSM Reinforcement Plates . Fogg Airbox . X-Brace . Bosal Brospeed Catback
ATF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:32 AM   #4
PettitWC

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx View Post
For Wyoming I would DEFINITELY spend the extra cash on the Hakka's. Or even buy a cheap (~$500) 4WD.
yeah, I was looking at getting a cheap beater truck or shipping out my brother's grand cherokee but I decided to get a 996 instead and I don't want 3 cars, plus I don't know how long I'll be there. I really want the nokians but they're just about double the bridgestones which have gotten great reviews on tire rack from other people with rear wheel drive cars, including a z4.

I guess what I'm really waiting to hear (which IO don't think will ever happen) is someone who has had both tires and swears by the nokians. otherwise i don't know if i could justify spending twice as much on a set of tires

1997 318ti

'cause I'm a Balla Baby

FACEBOOK!!
MY SPACE!!
Old 07-03-2007, 11:35 AM   #5
1996 328ti

Vehicles

My only experience is with the Blizzacks and Vredstein (sp) SnowTracs.
If most of the winter is driving in snow, Blizzacks. If you need snows for an occasional snow, Vredstein is better.
BMW CCA #146825
1996 BMW 328ti • 2003 MINI Cooper S • 2016 M235i
www.bmwcca.org
1996 328ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:36 PM   #6
elfhearse

Agree'd... Blizzaks can be pretty "squirmy" on dry roads under load. (not that the ti is a huge torque monster)
If you're in mostly snow they are excellent.
Hakka's have a huge cult following, I can't get them easily in PA so have never used them. My dry road, occasional snow tire is the Dunlop M3
elfhearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:56 PM   #7
H3_2.1-ti

Regardless of the tire you choose, I would recommend installing the smallest fitment possible; ie 185/65/15 or 195/60/16. Narrower tires always perform better in winter conditions.

As for which to buy? I 've had good experience with the Bridgestones in the past, but currently run Dunlop Graspic DS2 on the daily driver for winter. I've never hadany problems. They are great in deep snow and in occasional dry winter driving.

As for the Nokians, I have clients that swear by them but I would go with the Blizzaks or Graspics.

Cheers,

Engine: 2.1L Hartge conversion (bored to 86X91mm, ported & polished head, new valves, new crank, & upgraded ECU), Supersprint SS headers, Hartge exhaust, custom cat bypass (track), KV85 wires, Bosch platinum plugs, Vitesse cf spark plug cover, Vitesse cf CAI, Samco hoses, Fiamm air horns. Drivetrain: custom ssk, Vitesse adj. clutch stop, Redline D4 ATF & 75W90. Chassis: 18x8.5 Hartge Classics on 225/40/ZR18 Direzza DZ101s, 17x8 Hartge 7 spokes on 235/40/17 Direzza Z1 *specs and 17x9 Enkei MT1-R on 235/40/17 Direzza Z1 *specs(track), Vitesse 10mm spacers with cf/billet hub extenders, Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, Hartge sway bars & strut brace, urethane offset LCABs, Vitesse rsb, billet/urethane RSMs, X-brace, ATE BBK, ATE slotted rr. rotors, Goodridge ss. lines, ATE Superblue. Exterior: Violettschwarz, Hartge lip spoiler, window spoiler, hatch spoiler & mirrors, Vitesse cf door pillars, Vitesse cf fog light blanks (track), ZKW ellipsoids, HIDs in headlights, highbeams and foglights, and much more... Performance BMW Magazine feature car March 2003 www.vitessetuning.com
H3_2.1-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:19 PM   #8
ATF

So basically what I'm understanding is to pick your winter tire based on the amount of snow driving you do.

With my case in Boston, it will be my daily driver to and from work (most likely highway driving). Snow and winter like conditions are hit and miss but when they hit, they hit hard. I don't exactly have a garage and an easy way to swap my tires on short notice (unless I do it right there in the parking lot) or a place to store them. Is ok for the snow tires to be driven on, even when there isn't snow on the ground? Or is there a better performer/tread wear setup for the higher dry speeds of highway driving and the occasional heavy snow?

Now I'm worried about investing money into a set of snow tires that I might destroy after a season because it didn't snow a lot. Thanks for any help here on my topic, sorry to highjack a little Petti

BMWCCA #403399
2012 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 6-Speed
Loaded
2001 325xi, Winter Package, 5-Speed
Traded
1998 318ti, Active, Automatic, TOTAL LOSS R.I.P. 10/20/08
Bilstein Sport Shocks/Struts . H&R Sport Springs . Strut Reinforcement Plates . RSM Reinforcement Plates . Fogg Airbox . X-Brace . Bosal Brospeed Catback
ATF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:22 PM   #9
PettitWC

awesome guys, thanks!

the nokian cult might have to wait until i'm making the big bucks.

i know about the narrower the better for snow but would a 195 series tire be fine on the stock ten spokes?

1997 318ti

'cause I'm a Balla Baby

FACEBOOK!!
MY SPACE!!
Old 07-03-2007, 03:23 PM   #10
PettitWC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF View Post
Thanks for any help here on my topic, sorry to highjack a little Petti
no worries, that's why it's here

1997 318ti

'cause I'm a Balla Baby

FACEBOOK!!
MY SPACE!!
Old 07-03-2007, 07:52 PM   #11
H3_2.1-ti

Quote:
So basically what I'm understanding is to pick your winter tire based on the amount of snow driving you do.

With my case in Boston, it will be my daily driver to and from work (most likely highway driving). Snow and winter like conditions are hit and miss but when they hit, they hit hard. I don't exactly have a garage and an easy way to swap my tires on short notice (unless I do it right there in the parking lot) or a place to store them. Is ok for the snow tires to be driven on, even when there isn't snow on the ground? Or is there a better performer/tread wear setup for the higher dry speeds of highway driving and the occasional heavy snow?

Now I'm worried about investing money into a set of snow tires that I might destroy after a season because it didn't snow a lot. Thanks for any help here on my topic, sorry to highjack a little Petti
Winter tires are engineered to work under colder conditions;15ºF and colder as they are constructed of softer compounds keeping them flexible. If Boston winters are cold with an average of 15ºF or colder you should run a good set of winters and then swap them out in the spring.

Engine: 2.1L Hartge conversion (bored to 86X91mm, ported & polished head, new valves, new crank, & upgraded ECU), Supersprint SS headers, Hartge exhaust, custom cat bypass (track), KV85 wires, Bosch platinum plugs, Vitesse cf spark plug cover, Vitesse cf CAI, Samco hoses, Fiamm air horns. Drivetrain: custom ssk, Vitesse adj. clutch stop, Redline D4 ATF & 75W90. Chassis: 18x8.5 Hartge Classics on 225/40/ZR18 Direzza DZ101s, 17x8 Hartge 7 spokes on 235/40/17 Direzza Z1 *specs and 17x9 Enkei MT1-R on 235/40/17 Direzza Z1 *specs(track), Vitesse 10mm spacers with cf/billet hub extenders, Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, Hartge sway bars & strut brace, urethane offset LCABs, Vitesse rsb, billet/urethane RSMs, X-brace, ATE BBK, ATE slotted rr. rotors, Goodridge ss. lines, ATE Superblue. Exterior: Violettschwarz, Hartge lip spoiler, window spoiler, hatch spoiler & mirrors, Vitesse cf door pillars, Vitesse cf fog light blanks (track), ZKW ellipsoids, HIDs in headlights, highbeams and foglights, and much more... Performance BMW Magazine feature car March 2003 www.vitessetuning.com
Old 07-03-2007, 07:53 PM   #12
H3_2.1-ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettitWC View Post
awesome guys, thanks!

the nokian cult might have to wait until i'm making the big bucks.

i know about the narrower the better for snow but would a 195 series tire be fine on the stock ten spokes?
195/65/15 will work very well on a 15x7 wheel.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:46 PM   #13
John Firestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3_2.1-ti View Post
Winter tires are engineered to work under colder conditions;15ºF and colder as they are constructed of softer compounds keeping them flexible.
Perhaps you guys get a different formulation in the U.S., but the crossover point for the winter tires sold in Germany, the temperature at which they start to outperform summer ones, is somewhere between freezing and 7 deg C (45 deg F), depending on road conditions.
John Firestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:49 PM   #14
CirrusSR22

Quote:
My Blizzak WS50s have been through 3+ very weak MN winters so they saw LOTS of pavement. I'm quite surprised on how well they have held up. I wouldn't worry about it at all.
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:12 AM   #15
PettitWC

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3_2.1-ti View Post
195/65/15 will work very well on a 15x7 wheel.
cool, thanks man

1997 318ti

'cause I'm a Balla Baby

FACEBOOK!!
MY SPACE!!