318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Misc

Notices

Misc Does not fit in any of the forums below.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,028,202 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-17-2006, 12:26 AM   #1
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Default Foglight Blew..WTF

As i got off the highway tonight i noticed one of my foglight bulbs blew out. Must've happend on the highway cause when i 1st got on i saw the reflection off the back of a truck in front of me and it was working. I just put these bulbs in 3-4 months ago and i'm kind of agrivated at the moment. They are the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs which cost me 40 bucks at the time. I don't understand how it blew,i didn't hit any potholes or anything. I'm going to send them an email to see what they say back to me. I mean my Piaa bulbs lasted me 2 years before i got these.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

www.myspace.com/avusblueti
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:27 AM   #2
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler
As i got off the highway tonight i noticed one of my foglight bulbs blew out. Must've happend on the highway cause when i 1st got on i saw the reflection off the back of a truck in front of me and it was working. I just put these bulbs in 3-4 months ago and i'm kind of agrivated at the moment. They are the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs which cost me 40 bucks at the time. I don't understand how it blew,i didn't hit any potholes or anything. I'm going to send them an email to see what they say back to me. I mean my Piaa bulbs lasted me 2 years before i got these.
Silverstars don't last very long! HIDs can be had for $150 and they last a LOT longer.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:38 AM   #3
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Well i just sent them an email,hopefully they'll respond back by tomorrow. I mean i had Piaa's before with a cracked foglight that fills up with water when it rains and bulbs continued to work. I was going to buy the piaa's again but i think L8 talked me out of it. I think i might cough up the $80 for the piaa's again.
clear outs all around,stealth turning signals,blue led interior lights, 35% tinted windows,K&N air filter, 12" Kenwood Sub, MTX Thunder Amp,Alpine cd changer, Leatherz Armrest,ACS Pedals/Handbrake/FloorMats & Vitesse Tuning Carbon Fiber B-Pillars/CF Spark Plug Cover, New 16" MSW Typer 14 Rims on Goodyear Triple Treds

Old 01-17-2006, 12:43 AM   #4
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler
Well i just sent them an email,hopefully they'll respond back by tomorrow. I mean i had Piaa's before with a cracked foglight that fills up with water when it rains and bulbs continued to work. I was going to buy the piaa's again but i think L8 talked me out of it. I think i might cough up the $80 for the piaa's again.
Or you could just get HIDs and actually have foglights that are FUNCTIONAL too!

'99 Dinan M3
Old 01-17-2006, 12:58 AM   #5
CirrusSR22

^^ Word. A bit off topic, but does anyone think the stock fogs are funtional at all?? This fall I went driving on a REALLY foggy night. I tested all lighting combinations and found the normal low beams to be MUCH superior to the fogs alone, or fogs+low.

Maybe it was those specific conditions that night, but I was not impressed.
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:01 AM   #6
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirrusSR22
^^ Word. A bit off topic, but does anyone think the stock fogs are funtional at all?? This fall I went driving on a REALLY foggy night. I tested all lighting combinations and found the normal low beams to be MUCH superior to the fogs alone, or fogs+low.

Maybe it was those specific conditions that night, but I was not impressed.
Fog lights are for looks, anyone that disagrees is wrong.

'99 Dinan M3
Old 01-17-2006, 01:05 AM   #7
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT
i disagree!

someone had to say it ...
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:12 AM   #8
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Quote:
Or you could just get HIDs and actually have foglights that are FUNCTIONAL too!
Thats my next addition to my car. Once i get my new rims in febraury/march i'll be getting some hid zkw headlights and some hid fogs to match.

Old 01-17-2006, 03:40 AM   #9
pdxmotorhead

Quote:
Fog lights that are aimed wrong are wrong
(about 95% of them.)
The beam should hit the ground about 8' infront of your bumper.
The idea is to light up the "fog" lines. Not cut through the fog.

It should be legal to open fire on the idiots that aim them
with their low beams...

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 06:03 PM   #10
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

This is what she said to me in the 2nd email,on the 1st one she wanted to know what car and bulb number and when i'm using them.

Good Morning Mr. Audunson, The SilverStar fog lights should not be used as an auxiliary driving light. This part should only be used when driving in poor or foggy weather conditions. This part is only rated for approximately 100 hours of use. When only using them in the fog or poor weather conditions, this translates to approximately one year of use. I can replace the failed bulb(s) for you, but please keep this in mind. Please send the bulb(s) and a copy of this email to: OSRAM Sylvania

Old 01-17-2006, 06:09 PM   #11
cali-ti
aka Stabby

wow, a whole 100 hours of use. that's great. i think i'd get some different bulbs (after those new ones she's sending you burn out).
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 06:12 PM   #12
Tyler
TRETEN IRGENDEINES ESELS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali-ti
wow, a whole 100 hours of use. that's great. i think i'd get some different bulbs (after those new ones she's sending you burn out).

It's back to the Piaa's for me..

Actually since i have the Blue Lamin-x i might just go back to a standard $7 bulb.

Old 01-17-2006, 08:35 PM   #13
Severian

Quote:
This part should only be used when driving in poor or foggy weather conditions. This part is only rated for approximately 100 hours of use.
This bulb truly represents a niche product if you use it as intended: completely unnecessary, short-lived, and meant only for specific situations. All for the high-high price of $80. Astonishing really.
Severian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:44 PM   #14
J!m

Vehicles

I do agree with her (not on the life time which I think is a bit short- I would expect about 250 hours minimum) but on the intended use. I see far too many people using the fogs as aux. driving lights which they just aren't designed for. I use mine when it's rainly or foggy, and the bulbs last forever (but this is not my point). They are for a specific purpose, and not just to look cool...

BUT, since my lenses are sand-blasted now, they don't do a whole hell-of-a-lot anyway...

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:48 PM   #15
John Firestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirrusSR22
That was not a really foggy night. On a REALLY foggy night, such as one sees in Northern Europe during fall, the fog is so thick you have trouble seeing to the left edge of the road. Turning on the low beams in such fog creates a blinding, solid white wall immediately in front of the car, and makes them worse than useless.

At which point, you can turn off everything and use just the front fog lights. If the car has them; otherwise, you are stuck. With just the front fog lights on, you can at least light up the road immediately in front of the car -- you'll only blind yourself if you try to light up anything more -- and with luck, discern the right edge of the road and creep along without blundering off into a ditch.
John Firestone is offline   Reply With Quote