03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 66,998 Views
Closed Thread Share/Bookmark

Old 12-11-2006, 05:36 AM   #1
inlacal

Default 2004 BMW M3 SMG NAVIGATION WHITE/BLACK FIRST $30,000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

White/black, SMG, Navigation, 19's, Harmon Kardon, in immaculate condition. It has 63k miles but has been maintained, throughout its one-owner life at BMW dealers here in Southern California. It has just recently received a fresh set of Michelin Pilot Sports. No lights on. No leaks. No squeals, anomalies, etc, etc.

KBB low suggested retail book is $41,610
KBB private party (excellent condition) is $36,870
KBB private party (good condition) is $34,555
KBB private party (fair condition) is $31,395

I'll take the first $30k...No matter which way you spin this, it is a steal.

I have over 141 pictures here: http://www.inlacal.com/smgm3

Below are some for display here.

Feel free to call me with any questions.

Chris

1997 318ti
Old 12-12-2006, 01:56 AM   #2
Platanos

I wish. I really wish....

Looks awesome. Can you explain SMG? Is it a cross between manual and auto?
Old 12-12-2006, 02:04 AM   #3
CirrusSR22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platanos View Post
Can you explain SMG? Is it a cross between manual and auto?
Essentially a plain old manual as far as the transmission itself goes. Except, there is a hydraulic actuator that pushes the clutch, and another that moves the gear shifter. You upshift with the paddles (or lever) and the computer sorts out when to (how to): lift the throttle, push in the clutch, upshift, release the clutch and reapply power.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:56 AM   #4
SlickmisterN

HAHA, yeah I've seen a few people try to hop in an SMG car knowing absolutey nothing about it, thinking its just tiptronic or automatic, and boy was I rolling in laughter and partially gagging on my saliva when the car jerked violently forward leaping, lapping at the pavement from the stop. Skilled footsmen can avoid it but if you own an SMG M3 you know it can inadvertantly sneak up when at a rolling start. Has this ever happened to you inlacal?
Old 12-12-2006, 06:28 PM   #5
mohaughn

I drove an SMG m3 a few weeks ago and had no problems with it jumping or skittering as if I was not using the clutch right... I would say it is actually a pretty sweet system... Unfortunately the owner would not let me try out the launch control..
Old 12-14-2006, 01:26 AM   #6
SlickmisterN

Im not exactly sure which systems were affected but I owned an '04 and it would happen almost every other day.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=126526

Its a well documented problem and lead me back to the ol' 3 ped. - stick. There's just too much unperfected tech. going into BMW cars these days. You hear about all the software problems with the new M5's? My fathers friend owns one, he bought it last April - German delivery - and the things had so many glitches and problems with the transmission - he's only been able to drive it for a few months. He worked it out with the dealer to his advantage though
Old 12-15-2006, 03:57 PM   #7
inlacal

Default Yes...SMG Follies....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickmisterN View Post
HAHA, yeah I've seen a few people try to hop in an SMG car knowing absolutey nothing about it, thinking its just tiptronic or automatic, and boy was I rolling in laughter and partially gagging on my saliva when the car jerked violently forward leaping, lapping at the pavement from the stop. Skilled footsmen can avoid it but if you own an SMG M3 you know it can inadvertantly sneak up when at a rolling start. Has this ever happened to you inlacal?
Yes...I had my "learning curve" with SMG back in 2001. My first experience was a lasting one...No clutch. On a hill in traffic. Stopped in said-traffic. Green light. Remove my foot from gas and the car starts rolling backwards without a "clutch" for me to balance the car on...So what did I do? Floor it. Embarassing (loud)..."Amateur night in the SMG"

The trick with SMG (for me at least) is to use the most agreessive manual mode (S5?) and then slightly lift off the pedal between gears. When you do this correctly, the shifts are seamless and there is no jerking around.

Chris
1997 318ti
Old 12-15-2006, 03:58 PM   #8
inlacal

Default Lemon

Quote:
Im not exactly sure which systems were affected but I owned an '04 and it would happen almost every other day.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=126526

Its a well documented problem and lead me back to the ol' 3 ped. - stick. There's just too much unperfected tech. going into BMW cars these days. You hear about all the software problems with the new M5's? My fathers friend owns one, he bought it last April - German delivery - and the things had so many glitches and problems with the transmission - he's only been able to drive it for a few months. He worked it out with the dealer to his advantage though

...To his advantage: Lemon'd it?

I'm seeing a lot of E60 M5's at the auction that were "Lemon'd".

Chris
1997 318ti
Old 12-15-2006, 04:56 PM   #9
mohaughn

OK.. I see what you are saying, but that is not a problem with SMG, that is driver error. You can't drive an SMG like it is an automatic and not come off the throttle when you shift gears.. I guess some of that blaim needs to be put on BMW sales people as I know for a fact that they try to sell it as a high performance automatic transmission, which it is not. You can't just floor it and stay completely in the pedal while shifting gears.

I also think a lot of what people are complaining about is the drive by wire throttle system. My mother-in-law is a service writer for a major Toyota dealership and she is always talking about the people that bring in their new toyota's complaining the the gas peddle is stuck or overly sensitive. When in reality the responsiveness in a standard mechanical throttle system feels completely different in an electronic throttle system...

I totally agree with the post on BFC where the guy says people hit the gas, nothing happens so they hit the gas harder, then the car lurches, and they let off the gas, repeat... You just need to get used to the newer electronic pedal and throttle.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:06 PM   #10
SlickmisterN

Yeah, your right Mouhaughn, its not a fault with the sytem, its a problem with userfriendlyness off the bat. Personally, the tiny ocassional inconvenience isnt worht not considering an SMG...its probobly the best flappy paddle production system, behind Ferrari.

Back to the ad though.... what a beautiful example of M-Powa, whoever recieves this M3 must be at the top of Santa's "Nice" list. Good luck with the sale, it's a great deal!
Old 12-16-2006, 06:37 AM   #11
inlacal

Default Ferrari

Quote:
Yeah, your right Mouhaughn, its not a fault with the sytem, its a problem with userfriendlyness off the bat. Personally, the tiny ocassional inconvenience isnt worht not considering an SMG...its probobly the best flappy paddle production system, behind Ferrari.

Back to the ad though.... what a beautiful example of M-Powa, whoever recieves this M3 must be at the top of Santa's "Nice" list. Good luck with the sale, it's a great deal!
I drove a 360 a few weeks ago. Not the first Ferrari I've driven, but I'll say this: It's version of SMG is head & shoulders above the M3 & M5. Not even in the same ball park. You can absolutely stay on the throttle in the Ferrari and the shifts are seamless to the point of non-existent. Even in the 360's "automatic" mode, you don't feel the shifts.

I'm biased because I'm selling it, but I know this is an excellent deal. It's a matter of time now.

Chris
1997 318ti
Closed Thread