318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,002,822 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-24-2007, 08:30 AM   #1
bmwracerchick

Unhappy The Purple ti is gone

Thats right you heard the title correctly, I no longer am part of the ti community. Lately things have been coming up on the car and breaking down that the car was starting to cost me more then I could afford and it left me scared and thinking in the back of my mind "what if the next problem I cant afford to fix and I am stranded till i get the money" So for a few months I have been looking at cars, reading up and studying about cars that I could afford (at the time looking at used cars). I have been stuck on mazda for sometime, ever since test driving the CX-7 when it was first released, I was just completely changed when it came to what I thought about them. So last tuesday I test drove a used mazda3 hatchback. I was surprised with the handling of the car, the comfort of the seats, the cool curvy exterior styling and the very nice interior. Then the little things that went bad on the ti came up that the mazda was fully functional with like the air conditioning was ice cold (summer is coming and it gets hot here in FL), the windshield washer nozzles worked, no busted power steering, smoother ride, and a heck of a sound system, oh yea and working ABS system. I knew I would be happy with a mazda right then and there. Well they sold that car right from underneath me to a mechanic that worked there, so I went to the actual mazda dealership since I have made a few friends there. To wrap this up a little bit I ended up trading in the ti with all its problems (that they obviously didnt spot) 2 days later. I purchased a brand new 2007 Mazda3 hatchback Sport 2.3 4-cyl engine in Phantom Purple Mica. I will tell you handing over the keys to the ti was the hardest thing I ever had to do but I knew I had to do it. I actually started to cry and my boyfriend was like we didnt have to do this but you know it was a good decision, I knew that obviously, amongst my happiness getting a brand new car on my own there was that sadness of losing the ti. Now I am so scared that the next owner wont take car of it. I left the decal on the car and told the guys at the dealership to keep and it and tell the owner about the site. Hopefully they will come on the site that would be nice lol. Ok I am starting to ramble. I dont plan on leaving you guys completely you all are good friends even though I havent met anyone but it was great getting to know you and the cars you drive. Thanks for all your help over the years it means a lot to me.

So on a happier note I took some pictures today at work of the car on my phone, dont mind the bad quality I hope to take some pictures tomororw before I leave for work with my actual camera.

The color is almost like the ti, I had to stay with purple my grandfather picked an awesome color and the mazda was pretty close, ill try to take a better picture the phone makes it look a little different.

Mods I already have in mind for the near future (birthday wish list) :

1. Tint windows (possibly in the next 2 or 3 weeks
2. Cold Air Intake
3. HIDs 6,000 or 8,000
4. Cat back exhaust
5. After warrenty is up Turbocharge it

Also: I have a custom car cover that I had for the ti that I plan to sell in the future if anyone is interested.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:28 AM   #2
saigon1965

Congrats on the new purchase. You should of parted out your mods though.
saigon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:02 AM   #3
3DGE

I told you I would take the ti off your back. I would have had my mom buy it and I would have fixed it up.

What issues did it have?

Like atm on my 95 I just need bushings, balljoints, superglue (to stop the rattling), then alot of extra stuff I dont need but would like.

Saturday I should get a dinan engine chip Then later K&N air filter WOOT!
3DGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 01:38 PM   #4
pnosker

Cool car! I love the color. You mentioned boyfriend, though. He's back?
pnosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 03:17 PM   #5
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

Oh good grief. C'mon, pnosker, pay attention, will ya? LOL

Read this.

JMJ

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 04:18 PM   #6
bmwracerchick

I didnt take the one mod which was really just my headlights off the car, the dealership added $600 to my trade in ($200 profit I only paid $400 for them) and I needed the car to use as a down payment. So at first they offered $3700 then they added the headlights which is great seeing how I thought I would only get $2500 for the car.

lol at pnosker no its not the same asshole as before this, my current and hopefully forever one actually helped me out on getting the new car. lol I could go into all the great things about him but no one wants to read a novel here.

I have a feeling that I am going to be going back to the mazda dealership every night to look at the BMW until it sells but im going to try to keep myself away that will just make it harder on myself....oh yea found my spare key I lost....hmmmm....jk!
Old 02-24-2007, 04:34 PM   #7
bullmand

I suppose it's too late, but I'd just like to point out something here. It's almost always cheaper to maintain a paid for car than it is to buy a new one. It just feels more expensive because you have to lay out bigger sums at a time. Even if you have to spend $1000 every six months on maintenance, it's still less than a $200 a month car payment. You have to take insurance into account also. It's typically cheaper to insure an older car than a new one since your loan provider will require certain amounts of coverage and deductibles, etc. Anyway, just adding my thoughts to the conversation.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:00 AM   #8
windnsea00

Nice car, the Mazda3 is the best small new car out there IMO. However, I can't imagine there were so many things wrong that you needed to buy a new car as that is some big money. I have a few nagging issues but I just knock one out at time...though I did sell a car because I was running out of money back in the beginning of college (2.5 years ago).

My `91 318is with a S50 swap (`95 M3 engine) that I did in my senior year of high school...now that nearly brought a tear to my eye after all the work! The suspension was shot, paint was bad...and couldn't for the life of me get it to pass CA smog. Looking back a BMW catalytic convertor over some aftermarket one would've most likely cured the issue.

Well anyway, enjoy the new car!
Old 02-25-2007, 09:10 AM   #9
StealthBimmer

Congrats on the new Mazda Niki! It will not be the same without the purple ti and you here. Stay around and hang out with us even though you own a Mazda now. That car fits you and your personality! Have fun with the new zoom zoom zoom!

My Ultimate Driving Machines

BMWCCA #369516
http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/
Best MA ti meet pics
Recommended tint place
StealthBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:34 PM   #10
bmwracerchick

Thanks everyone, I know its hard to see how making payments on a new car isnt the better choice out of just continuing to repair the car but the thing is I would get one thing fixed at $200+ only to have that same issue start giving me problems again or something else would come up. The power steering needed to be fixed, the ABS needed to be fixed, the brake system in general was giving me problems, some of the body was starting to fall apart, AC was looked at 3 times and each time they couldnt find a where the leak was so it was only temporary fixes, my suspension was starting to show its age and small bumps were a challenge for the car. The washer nozzles (which I know isnt a big deal) no matter how many times would not work when I fixed them...I replaced the motor, the nozzles and the hoses and still nothing worked...pain in the butt. The other thing is I need a bigger car, I loved having a small car but in probably the next 2 or 3 years I need to start considering my next step in life and within those 2 years I will be getting a full time job to make payments easier and faster. I just cant always be worrying in the back of my head what will go wrong with the car next, so having a new car with warranty takes that worry away. I want to go back to BMW I just dont know when just yet, but it was too much for something that would cost me less then half on a mazda. I am a college student, I still live at home for the most part so I can afford payments right now. As my mom said when it comes to the point that payments would be cheaper then the maintance on the BMW a month thats when its time to consider a newer car. And thats what it came too. I love this car and I will love this car like I loved the BMW, I took some little things that I had in the BMW to make it close to me, like the color was a major factor. I hope those of you who think it wasnt the wisest choice getting a new car can kind of see in my point of view, im a almost 21 year old girl, working part time and in college where I got the oppurtunity to have payments that are very low on a new car. I will be sticking around I dont want to leave you guys and I will keep you all updated on the progress on the car, how its been treating me.

Thanks again everyone for being so helpful to me while I owned the car, and thanks again Steve for making this site. I am still a BMW driver at heart that will never change, the only thing that changed is the car not me, but if this car wasnt close or better to the ti I wouldnt have bought it, and the sad part is....its better, faster and just as agile as the ti was......scary
Old 02-25-2007, 09:27 PM   #11
pdxmotorhead

Having owned each of the japanese marques, It will be interesting to see what you think by the time the car is 2 or three years old....

My experience is total cost of ownership is higher on the Japanese cars than my TI... Immediate bang is definitely high the Mazda'z, they have especially gotten better in the last 2 ro 3 years...

Keep us up on it,,

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:21 PM   #12
robcarync

you better stick around the forums a little bit...we need some sort of girl here that all of us guys can flirt with/profess our love to online
Pioneer Speakers [] Aluminum Billet door locks [] ACS Pedals/Deadrest [] ACS Shift Knob / E-Brake Handle [] Clear Corners/Tails/Sides [] Sylvania Exterior Lighting [] Custom CAI [] Dinan Engine Chip [] Dinan Transmission Chip [] H&R Race Springs [] Tokico Illumina Shocks [] BMW X-Brace [] Relocated Lighter Mod [] Custom iPod Mod
http://www.cardomain.com/id/robcarync
robcarync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:46 PM   #13
ChItalian1027

Vehicles

niki you got the five door or mazda speed3? o by the by nice car!! sorry that u had to get rid of the ti!! have fun w/ the new car!!

WTB: HELLROT RED CLUB SPORT

95 ti sold but staying in the family.
ChItalian1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:08 AM   #14
bmwracerchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickass95318ti View Post
niki you got the five door or mazda speed3? o by the by nice car!! sorry that u had to get rid of the ti!! have fun w/ the new car!!
Thanks, no just a plain 5-door hatch, they had only one speed there but some 80 year old guy was buying it (typical). They sell those cars before they even reach the lot, my boyfriend has been on the waiting list for over a month, people are putting down payments on the car just so they can be one of the first to test drive it before someone else and then they can roll away with it. I wanted to get the speed but after much thought I dont want a manual after all in this area way to congested, that and when I have kids I will have this car and a manual and kids in the back seat wouldnt be smart....that and I would most likely kill myself with that car =p
Old 02-26-2007, 08:59 AM   #15
PettitWC

cool looking mazda, I thought about giving the ti up for an M3 sedan recently but I gotta start saving money and paying for/modding a new car would have meant no big tv/bike/other fun stuff for a while.

1997 318ti

'cause I'm a Balla Baby

FACEBOOK!!
MY SPACE!!
PettitWC is offline   Reply With Quote