318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Engine

Notices

Engine Tuneups, chips, wires, spark plugs.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,016,233 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 04-14-2009, 01:44 AM   #1
serpako

Default engine has hard time starting

I have a 97 318ti that just had a had replacement on it, due to over heating from the former owner. The car starts up fine when cold "first start" but when ran for a while and then shut off, then go to start it back up after being warm, the car has a hard time starting as if its been flooded out. Takes about 3 turn keys to get the car to start.
The car runs like a bear after being started and has all kinds of power. Ive put about 1800 miles on it since head replacement, but I would like to figure out what the problem is with this statring issue. Any answers? Please, if so. Thanks!
serpako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpako View Post
I have a 97 318ti that just had a had replacement on it, due to over heating from the former owner. The car starts up fine when cold "first start" but when ran for a while and then shut off, then go to start it back up after being warm, the car has a hard time starting as if its been flooded out. Takes about 3 turn keys to get the car to start.
The car runs like a bear after being started and has all kinds of power. Ive put about 1800 miles on it since head replacement, but I would like to figure out what the problem is with this statring issue. Any answers? Please, if so. Thanks!
1. Most likely your problem is a bad coolant sensor for the DME. Car starts fine when cold but hard to start when warm. The sensor is bad telling the DME the car is cold at all times so it makes it real hard to start when it's warm because it's injecting extra fuel for a cold start which floods the car. blowin 4 just had this issue. Change the coolant sensor and your car should be fixed. Make sure you change the correct sensor...Not the coolant gauge sensor.

2. Leaky fuel injector? Check this by running car then shut it off check for fuel pressure at the check port on the injector rail after 5 minutes of off time. If no pressure you have a leaky injector.

Good Luck
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:33 AM   #3
serpako

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx View Post
1. Most likely your problem is a bad coolant sensor for the DME. Car starts fine when cold but hard to start when warm. The sensor is bad telling the DME the car is cold at all times so it makes it real hard to start when it's warm because it's injecting extra fuel for a cold start which floods the car. blowin 4 just had this issue. Change the coolant sensor and your car should be fixed. Make sure you change the correct sensor...Not the coolant gauge sensor.

2. Leaky fuel injector? Check this by running car then shut it off check for fuel pressure at the check port on the injector rail after 5 minutes of off time. If no pressure you have a leaky injector.

Good Luck
Thats what I thought, I figured something was telling the system that it was cold even after i ran it for a while, just wasnt sure where to look for that problem, only had the car for a short time, so im just getting to know things about this car. I'll let you know how I do, really appreciate your help!
Old 04-20-2009, 01:46 AM   #4
toie36

My car did the same thing. I changed the coolant sensor and now it starts right up on cold/hot days.
toie36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:15 AM   #5
vap3

i kinda have a same problem with a 97 318is with the m44 engine automatic. But sometimes I notice if i leave the key on the accessory position for at least 5 seconds or so the car cranks up right away, and sometimes it takes 3-5 seconds for it to crank and finally fire up the engine. Is there anyway to test the bad coolant sensor for the DME before ordering the part and replacing it to find out its not the problem? Is there a DIY for replacing it? How hard can it be?

Wouldn't a leaky injector indicate smelling gas or power problem when WOT? I really don't have any power problems, its there when I need it.
vap3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:08 AM   #6
serpako

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx View Post

Good Luck
Hey JohnBoy, Thanks for the advice once more. I checked the sensor,that has been changed when it was at the dealers when the head job was being done. I went with the injector problem. What i did, I used Chevron Fuel Injector Cleaner before my trip to NYC and when i got there after driving 76MPH all the way there, the injector cleaner worked. I must have had a dirty injector from sitting. The car starts up everytime time now with a bump of the key. For some reason this product from Chevron works with the BMW'S. I recommend it. Thought i would let you know,thanks again!
Old 05-12-2009, 05:34 AM   #7
hatchgrafix

How long has it been since you changed your fuel filter?

Every 30k is about when it's due!!! On the TI's its sooooo easy, my grandma could do it.

425+ whp @ 15psi TurboCannon

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthrea...t=22754&page=2
hatchgrafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:35 AM   #8
hatchgrafix

Quote:
Hey JohnBoy, Thanks for the advice once more. I checked the sensor,that has been changed when it was at the dealers when the head job was being done. I went with the injector problem. What i did, I used Chevron Fuel Injector Cleaner before my trip to NYC and when i got there after driving 76MPH all the way there, the injector cleaner worked. I must have had a dirty injector from sitting. The car starts up everytime time now with a bump of the key. For some reason this product from Chevron works with the BMW'S. I recommend it. Thought i would let you know,thanks again!
You could have had bad gas too, water in the gas ect.

425+ whp @ 15psi TurboCannon

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthrea...t=22754&page=2
hatchgrafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:33 PM   #9
marko

cam position sensor OR crank position sensor...

Quote:
/DASC w.3' pulley @ 15psi/SNOW System/3.45 LSD/Billstein PSS coils
/Stromung Exhaust/DS1's/X-Brace/Front & Rear H&R Sways/OMP 300mm SW
/SAP delete/ASC+T delete/Hayabusa valve springs/MM's LTW flywheel
marko is offline   Reply With Quote