318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
1999 M3 Swap
09-07-2023 10:10 PM
Last post by buzzboy
05-02-2024 08:18 PM
6 Replies, 353,750 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 12-08-2007, 11:01 PM   #1
fat-ti

Default HELP! DASC 95 ti sputtering under acceleration

Hi, my dasc 95 ti was running great all summer long. Since I live in Wisconsin the temperature has dropped significantly in the past 2 months. Now once and an while under accelleration the ti will sputter and spit like it is missing. It also seems to do this when you decelerate by just taking your foot off the gas, and when you gas it again it will sputter or misfire. I don't know if this is temperature related or not. I also thought that the gas may be freezing, so I filled the tank and put in some heat...still does it. Then I thought that maybe the plugs are fouled, pulled them, they look great. I am also getting much worse gas mileage. About 2 weeks ago I was getting 29-30 on the highway (75-80 mph), now I am getting 24-26 mpg. It also seem to do this much more after it has been driven for a while (10-15 mins.) even though I always warm the car up before driving it. The car has 96,000 miles on it, check engine light does not come on when it does this. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
fat-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:05 AM   #2
fat-ti

I also noticed that once the vehicle is warmed up (driven a little) that it will do it just by revving the motor up, but if you rev it up when the engine is cold, it runs fine. Thanks, Josh
Old 12-09-2007, 04:53 AM   #3
fat-ti

One more thing, I am running Bosch Platnium's (ungappable)...Does anybody know of a way to tell what the gap should be on these plugs? They look clean, but they are stock heat range plugs, not 1 cooler. I have been looking locally for NGK's in the 7's, but havn't had any luck finding them. I read in another post that somebody was having a simular problem and it ended up being a spark plug that was gapped too much?
Old 12-09-2007, 06:54 AM   #4
hitman637

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat-ti View Post
One more thing, I am running Bosch Platnium's (ungappable)...Does anybody know of a way to tell what the gap should be on these plugs? They look clean, but they are stock heat range plugs, not 1 cooler. I have been looking locally for NGK's in the 7's, but havn't had any luck finding them. I read in another post that somebody was having a simular problem and it ended up being a spark plug that was gapped too much?

Try changing out your ignition coils. Bavauto sells a good set of performance coils at a reasonable price. I had the same issue as yours and it turned out to just be the coils.

Good Luck.
hitman637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:14 AM   #5
fat-ti

Did yours throw a check engine light, or did it stay off?
Old 12-09-2007, 08:01 AM   #6
hitman637

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat-ti View Post
Did yours throw a check engine light, or did it stay off?
I can't remember completely, but I think the check engine light stayed off.
hitman637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:08 AM   #7
fat-ti

I though I would try to change the plugs over the the NGK BKR7EIX's (1 temperature range cooler for supercharger) before doing the coils. All I can say is WOW!!!! It fixed the missing sputtering problem, the car idles 10x better, there is an incredible power increase (butt dyno feels like a 10-20 hp increase), car seems to run a tad cooler, and the powerband is super smooth throughout the rpms. I have never had plugs make this much of a difference!