318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exhausts

Notices

Exhausts Aftermarket exhaust discussions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,002,056 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 09-25-2007, 02:00 PM   #1
marko

Default opinions needed (Stromung)!

as some of you already know, I'm the unlucky bastard that got stuck with a dud of an exhaust (from Stromung)... loss of bottom end power / too much noise, so forth & so on.
to remedy the situation I thought of doing 1 of 2 things below (since it seems Scott from Stromung decided best way to deal with me is just to blow me off).
I can either...

1- go to a local muffler shop & have them make me smaller diameter mendrel bent tubing (currenlty 2.25) & weld it onto the existing Stromung box?

OR

2- go to a local muffler shop & have them weld a different / more restricitve back box (maybe even a stock one) onto the existing 2.25 tubing?

Can anyone guess/suggest which option would be most successful in terms of noise reduction & slight flow reduction??

Tubing vs. Back Box!
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:27 PM   #2
Philly

Im not totally happy with my stromung either, the fit is horrible, i had it bent to fit and it still changes almost daily..... if i knew what i was getting i would have just done the following myself :

Id say unload that stromung and get a custom exhaust done with a magnaflow or borla muffler... something nice and deep

328Ti

Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:29 PM   #3
mohaughn

I'd go with the smaller piping. You know the actual muffler box is stainless so why not use that as it will not rust out. A muffler shop should also be able to make a high temp exhaust gasket to get rid of the exhaust leak that you said you had before. It should be pretty cake for them to bend a new pipe using the old one as a template and then cut off and weld the hanger piece back on.

Have you called stromung recently? I guess even company's that usually do a good job have problems and make mistakes from time to time... Kind of sucks that they are not responding to you if you have been calling.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:55 PM   #4
marko

I should have just gone to these guys, spent the money, & gotten one of their SS systems... but I'm an a-hole for trying to save money. now I'll end up paying much more, by the time its all said & done...

that Ansa system looks pretty cheap, no?

http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwd_king View Post
Im not totally happy with my stromung either, the fit is horrible, i had it bent to fit and it still changes almost daily..... if i knew what i was getting i would have just done the following myself :

Id say unload that stromung and get a custom exhaust done with a magnaflow or borla muffler... something nice and deep
Old 09-25-2007, 03:01 PM   #5
marko

I guess it would be easier to get new piping vs. a new box, since there is no guarantee that whatever I pick will be any better... I'll consider that.

as for Stromung... it took me forever to get the guy on the phone after the GB was done, and get him to agree to make me new exhaust (even with accepting fiancial responsability for 'cost of materials'), BUT it just has not happened... every couple of months I get him on the phone & each time he tells me the same exact thing - 'its on the jig right now, should be completed shortly'. I bet he does not even realize he tells me the same thing every time we talk. so I figured he is waiting for me to get tired & give up (which I pretty much did).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn View Post
I'd go with the smaller piping. You know the actual muffler box is stainless so why not use that as it will not rust out. A muffler shop should also be able to make a high temp exhaust gasket to get rid of the exhaust leak that you said you had before. It should be pretty cake for them to bend a new pipe using the old one as a template and then cut off and weld the hanger piece back on.

Have you called stromung recently? I guess even company's that usually do a good job have problems and make mistakes from time to time... Kind of sucks that they are not responding to you if you have been calling.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:46 PM   #6
mohaughn

Yeah, that definitely sucks... I'd avoid the ansa muffler. It looks pretty comparable to the other aluminized mufflers that you can find out on the market, but with a much higher price tag. You can definitely get a custom job for less and have the same quality. The biggest cost of an SS muffler is going to be the steel, prices have gone up and continue to go up.

Those tri-flow exhausts that they have look pretty nice. I'm not exactly sure but I think they may be re-badged B&B exhausts. Which are usually very highly rated... But stromung is also usually highly rated.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:20 PM   #7
StealthBimmer

Sorry to hear that understeer.com did not take care of your Stromung problems yet. This is another reason why I am leaning toward a custom stainless steel exhaust system done locally by a reputable shop.

If you can't find any local bimmer guys with custom exhaust then go onto www.youtube.com and check out all the BMW magnaflow and other muffler brands clip first. See which one you like for look and sound then go get a custom job done RIGHT!

My Ultimate Driving Machines

BMWCCA #369516
http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/
Best MA ti meet pics
Recommended tint place
StealthBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:58 PM   #8
marko

thanks, will do....

though, I did not deal with understeer.com... I was part of a GB from this site, so we basically went directly to Scott @ Stromung.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthBimmer View Post
Sorry to hear that understeer.com did not take care of your Stromung problems yet. This is another reason why I am leaning toward a custom stainless steel exhaust system done locally by a reputable shop.

If you can't find any local bimmer guys with custom exhaust then go onto www.youtube.com and check out all the BMW magnaflow and other muffler brands clip first. See which one you like for look and sound then go get a custom job done RIGHT!