318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Interior and ICE

Notices

Interior and ICE For all interior and In Car Entertainment discussion.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 97,908 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 60,771 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 58,116 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-22-2003, 02:39 AM   #1
2ndBimmer

So, I wanted more bass in my car (who doesnt). The standard system is surprizingly good, 10 piece Alpine's sound pretty damn hot. Just theres a limit to those 5.25"'s. (BTW, I have a 97)

I had a new head unit put in (mp3's are a must for me). I had them wire it through the stock amp, as the unit was a 22watts x4 RMS compared with 20watts x10 RMS.
Scrapping the tape deck for unit with massive audio configurability helped but... "I still need more bass!"

I could shell out a lot of cash a get a massive amp and dual 10's crammed in the truck and then jam the bass so loud that my head gasket rattles off (like so many 'souped-up civics').

Well, Im not looking for earth shattering bass nor a wallet shattering price. I could go to Bavauto and get the Infinity 10" "plug and play" unit, but thats $500 some and i NEED to have use of my trunk! the usability of the hatch to fold down the seats and throw everything in the back is gone with any sort of sub in the trunk!

So heres the parts needed. Pair of 6x9 boxes (bestbuy $30), pair of Alpine 6x9's (online for $60), some extra wood (2x4's and such), drill, ducttape/electrical tape, screws, 16 guage Monster speaker wire (can use regular wire alternately), standard 16 guage speaker wire.

1. pull out the rear lights from the inside (you dont need to disconnect them), and pull down the wall carpeting all the way until you reach the rear speakers.
2. disconnect the speakers and connect the live ends to a small line of speaker wire. Youll likely need to tape to keep the connections together. You should now have the connectors which used to go to the 4" woofer connected to a bit of speaker wire, same with the tweeter.
3. take both positives and connect them to the Monster positive; do the same for the negatives. Run the Monster cable back and drape it down thru the hole in the sidewall carpeting. You can close up the side now.
4. measure and cutting the wood. I forget the exact specs but a near exact fit block will need to be cut to fit the plastic bins on each side.
5. once a good fit is found, put in in place and stand a 6x9 box on top of it. Drill a couple pilot holes (this is where good distance judgement comes in handy). This is where I removed the blocks and spray painted them to match the grey carpet.
6. screw the boxes to the blocks. Wrapping ducttape around the blocks is a good way to make an extra tight fit. Then install the speaker into its box.
7. connect the Monster wire to back of the box and drop it in. (remember ducttape and a tight fit!!)

Now fade the sound back a bit, turn up the bass and turn up the volume.
Admittedly the treble doesnt sound all that great from the rear (could be my speakers?) but with the rear seats up and the rear decklid on, it sounds good from the driver's seat! Its not alot of bass, but its some extra umph for low $$ that takes up nearly ZERO trunk space.

(ill try and get some pics soon, or you can check it out yourself at Ti Fest 03 )

[This message has been edited by 2ndBimmer (edited 01-21-2003).]

[This message has been edited by 2ndBimmer (edited 01-21-2003).]
2ndBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote