318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Maintenance

Notices

Maintenance Service Interval questions, oil change info.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 97,373 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 60,313 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 57,673 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-23-2005, 05:48 AM   #1
CirrusSR22

Default Pela Oil Extractor Review

A while ago I wrote a thread about how my oil drain plug threads stripped. http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5620 Instead of getting a new oil pan, or getting a shop to drill and helicoil new threads, I decided to get an oil extractor.

I bought a Pela 6000 http://www.pelaproducts.com at Cabelas for $39.99 and just used it today for the first time. (BTW: Mobil 1 0W-40 is up to $5.99/ qt. now, . I'm gonna switch to a cheaper oil next time around)

Sorry, I dont own a digital camera, so I have no pics.

It's quite simple to use. First, the oil needs to be hot with the engine freshly shut-down. Remove the dipstick, wipe it off and set it aside. Then you slide the probe (big straw) down the dipstick tube and connect the other end to the pump/cannister unit.

Pump it 10-20 times and the oil will start to flow. *The first time I tried it, nothing came out. What I realized is that the probe was not fully into the oil pan. When you insert it, there is some tension after about 8 inches. You have to force it slightly to make it past that section. It'll drop another 6 inches or so.

If the probe is pushed fully down to the bottom of the oil pan, you'll create suction and the flow will slow down greatly. You can watch the little bubbles in the clear part of the hose to see how fast it's flowing. The trick is to seat the probe to the bottom of the pan, then lift it a few millimeters.

The inital series of 20 pumps did not suck all the oil out (ran out of vacuum), so I had to give it another 20 pumps to get the remaining oil out. Total suck time was about 15 minutes, but it'll probably be 5-10 minutes next time, now that I know what I'm doing.

The big questions for me was how much oil would it get out? Full is 5.28 quarts and my car lost about .6 quarts by the looks of the dipstick before the oil change. So, an estimate of the oil in there was about 4.7 quarts. The Pela has some graduated marks on the side and after I finished sucking it was showing about 4.75 quarts. Long story short, I believe almost all of the oil had been removed.

Overall, I was pretty impressed. It took a little while to figure out some tricks (fully seating the probe, lifting it a few millimeters, etc..) but once I got it, it seemed to flow nicely. Build quality seemed good, especially the probe part which was a rubber armored, flexible metal tube.
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 06:08 AM   #2
CirrusSR22

Side Note: I've heard that extractors will not get all the "sludge" out of the bottom of your oil pan. It makes sense, but then I started to think about it.

If the particles (if any) in your oil are "free floating", your oil filter will filter them out quite quickly, when the engine is running.

If the sludge at the bottom of the pan (if any) is hard enough to not get circulated with the rest of the oil, I kind of doubt it will even come out when you pull the drain plug. And, if the sludge were to break loose, the oil filter would pick it up quickly. IMO, the arguement doesn't make complete sense.

Pulling the drain plug is the best, but this seems to be a great alternative.
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote