318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Electrical

Notices

Electrical All wiring questions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 994,560 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-12-2011, 08:11 AM   #1
Marv17

Default Keyless Engine Start/Warm Up Controversy

Has anyone ever installed a keyless engine start? I was wondering how difficult it can be to do a self install. Also, before anyone tries to ask why I was thinking of doing this I just got the idea of having your engine warm up while getting ready to take off to school or work in the mornings, especially when in a rush.

-Theta Chi-
Float like a cadilac, sting like a BIMMER

.... my socket is just too thick and won't fit in the hole! damnit!

Marv's 332ti is in the werks. Stay tuned ya'll ...

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?

Last edited by Marv17; 01-19-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
Platanos

Remote starts are very convenient, especially in cold weather. If you can read schematics, know how to chase wires, and aren't color blind. Its not to hard just time consuming. Most tap into your door locks, windows, rear hatch locks and of course ignition power wires.

Its a little tougher on manual cars, well not tougher but I guess dangerous. Imagine starting the car remotely while its in gear.....most places won't do an install on a manual car.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
lazoh

I have a friend that can get this done for you, you will need to get a new alarm for this to work. Let me know.

1984 BMW 323i E30 BAUR (Euro)
1989 BMW 325i E30
1998 318ti E36

Join us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/318tiorg/127481623988696
lazoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
Marv17

PLatanos: I don't ever leave my car in gear, just my e-brake. Always afraid some accident like that would happen. It happened to my cousing when he was living at my old house and it went through the garage.
Harold: What kind of alarm would i need? Could it tap into the existing alarm i have now? I just want a engine start not an alarm.

-Theta Chi-
Float like a cadilac, sting like a BIMMER

.... my socket is just too thick and won't fit in the hole! damnit!

Marv's 332ti is in the werks. Stay tuned ya'll ...

Check list: S52 swap, manual transmission swap, 3.25 LSD with M Coupe diff cover, SuperSprint muffler, M3 style mirrors, AFE intake, ASC delete, M50 Manifold swap, UUC strut bar, ZHP lighted knob, Vaders, M-tech interior, OEM armrest, AC Schintzer front lip, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Roof spoiler, 18'' rims, M3 front drilled brakes, LED interior lights, 3 spoke Euro style steering wheel, OEM roof spoiler and bike holder, Thule fairing, Euro tail lights, oil pressure guage, carbon fiber hood painted to original paint (still showing CF weaving), what's next to do...?
Marv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:00 PM   #5
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

Not sure what the laws are there concerning leaving a running car unattended, but someone here in TN was telling me that you can actually be written a citation for that. He found that out when his car was stolen while it was warming up. It might be a non-issue if the doors are locked though.

I'm not saying "don't do it"... just pointing out something to be aware of. :-)

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:33 PM   #6
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Recent studies have shown that warming your car up not only wastes fuel and is bad for the environment, but is actually worse for your engine as well. I remember reading somewhere, perhaps in the owner's manual, that BMW doesn't recommend warming up the engine, but instead just jumping in and driving it because it reaches operating temperatures faster. The only downside, which can't be avoided either way, is that oil settles towards the bottom of the engine. However, with today's modern synthetic oils, it's not as big of a problem as it was back when engines had carbuerators. In fact, modern engines are designed to run more efficiently since they're controlled by computers/sensors. It only takes about 30 seconds for the oil to reach ideal viscosity and by driving your car immediately after start up, you actually help it pump through the engine faster. That being said, I wouldn't recommend pegging the tach or driving hard until the engine has reached a safe operating temperature. Living in SoCal, we really don't experience temperatures that would have much of an effect on our engines. In colder climates such as the nothern states, Canada and parts of Europe, engine "block warmers" are a convenient way to extend the life of your oil/engines.

Last edited by cooljess76; 01-12-2011 at 11:23 PM.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:58 PM   #7
TroyAndEddie

Spot on, cooljess.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:07 AM   #8
hotmilk400

Remote starts are pretty easy on both auto and 5sps.

did my 5spd. if you buy a 5sp remote start, you do not have to worry about the car driving away. in a 5sp remote start, the motor does not turn off until you shut your driver side door. if you open the driver side door after you shut off your car, the car will not remotely start. if the ebrake is not up, the car will not remote start either.
basically it is fool proof.

the only way to get it to drive away is if you have a very weak e-break, and you climb into the car through the hatchback or, depending on the brand remote start, the driver side door and put it in gear. either way, the car should stall pretty quick if your ebreak is strong.

of course, my friends shop install them every day, and tested that theory. the car had a weak ebrake, and a huge v8 motor. the car drove right out of the shop in first gear. lucky for them, the door was unlocked, and someone jumped into it pretty fast to stall it.. haha.

but really, you would have to be an idiot to get back into your car through a different door, and put it into gear.

... automatic cars are pretty easy too, and no need to worry about the car driving away.

either way, i like them. their might be better options, like a block warmer (which normally are cheaper or the same price) but since my car is 200 - 500 feet away from my apartment, its nice being able to start it while its in the middle of the parking lot..

plus, turning on the butt warmers 2 minutes before u sit in it is a HUGE bonus when it is -5 outside, and the leather sides are colder then the ice on the ground. haha..

--

as a side note, my best friend is in Theta Chi at Pennstate, and i live about 1 block away from the building.. haha.. figured you would enjoy knowing that for some reason.

Green Your Decor with the Aspect! Shop for the Grow Light Used by Interior Designers, Growers & People Like You!
hotmilk400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:45 PM   #9
Junk

I installed a 'prestige' brand before into a friends car.(might be audiovox brand) It was OK.. had a little delay even unlocking/locking it seemed which annoyed me.

Only issue I can think of on the BMW is you will need to leave the EWS chip mounted to an antenna ring in your car, or leave the key in your car. I hate the EWS myself.. always sense that delay when cranking.. then you can't restart without going to off position but that's a key cylinder issue I guess.
Junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:24 PM   #10
hotmilk400

EWS is in pretty many new cars.. haha. you can buy a EWS bypass, which only allows the car to start with the remote start, or with a key. It doesnt keep the chip activated all the time (ie, no need to leave the key in the ignition, or the chip under the ring, which allows a screwdriver to start the car). its the safest way to, if you do not use it, someone could know you did not use it, break into your car, and stick a screwdriver in the ignition, and drive away. or just hotwire it.

If you buy a good brand (sorry, that is not a good brand) like ultrastart or something similar, you will not have any kind of delays. i have no abnormal delays, and i can turn off my car using the remote start key chain, or tapping the brake without the key in the car.

Green Your Decor with the Aspect! Shop for the Grow Light Used by Interior Designers, Growers & People Like You!
Old 01-13-2011, 05:31 PM   #11
spidertri

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
Recent studies have shown that warming your car up not only wastes fuel and is bad for the environment, but is actually worse for your engine as well. I remember reading somewhere, perhaps in the owner's manual, that BMW doesn't recommend warming up the engine, but instead just jumping in and driving it because it reaches operating temperatures faster. The only downside, which can't be avoided either way, is that oil settles towards the bottom of the engine. However, with today's modern synthetic oils, it's not as big of a problem as it was back when engines had carbuerators. In fact, modern engines are designed to run more efficiently since they're controlled by computers/sensors. It only takes about 30 seconds for the oil to reach ideal viscosity and by driving your car immediately after start up, you actually help it pump through the engine faster. That being said, I wouldn't recommend pegging the tach or driving hard until the engine has reached a safe operating temperature. Living in SoCal, we really don't experience temperatures that would have much of an effect on our engines. In colder climates such as the nothern states, Canada and parts of Europe, engine "block warmers" are a convenient way to extend the life of your oil/engines.
Yup, idling is not good for a cold engine. Neither is pushing it hard when cold, like Jesse said.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:05 PM   #12
Junk

Really? There's an EWS bypass? Why is this the first I heard of it? Can I get it without alarm? Do you remove the EWS alltogether?

wasn't recommending prestige/audiovox, but my friend wanted it cheap, and it did work.. (With some delay)

Last edited by Junk; 01-15-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:52 PM   #13
hotmilk400

well, like i said, you do not want to bypass the EWS, since you can start your car with a screwdriver (hence why they have EWS).

the EWS bypass turns on when your remote start your car. it tells the car that the key is in the ignition, so the car can start, and stays active until the remote turns off. it does not bypass the EWS all the time, since if that were the case, people would steal ur car pretty fast.

this works with your starter, and is 100% safe to use. (unless you install it wrong) no one can steal your car. they run about $60ish i think, maybe $80.. i bought a universal one from my friends shop for alot less (he buys at wholesale prices).

anyway, a remote start is not something you try to save $20 or $50 bucks when installing.. haha. cheap ones underrate the relays, which means hassle later. and if you didnt use the bypass, do not expect your car to always be in the driveway the next day. (again, the screawdriver thing comes into play.. ) just insert and twist =]

Old 01-15-2011, 05:46 PM   #14
Junk

Huh? How can the alarm bypass EWS? DME won't crank, fuel or ignite without the EWS key I was led to believe. Even if you bypass the start circuit, engine will crank over but not run.. or so I thought...
Old 01-16-2011, 04:32 AM   #15
hotmilk400

its a controlled bypass. you program it, so that it copies the EWS code that starts the car. (some can just use the ews in your key) . you cut the wire that goes to the EWS ring, and add this to that circuit.

it then bypasses the EWS, so that the remote start can trick the car into thinking the key is in the car, but only when the car is running due to the remote start, never any other time. the rest of the time, the car will need a key with the EWS chip.

you would not want to remove the ews, or bypass it beyond that, since it is unsafe. this is safe, and your car will never get stolen because it is running.