318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Electrical

Notices

Electrical All wiring questions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,015,329 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-28-2008, 05:38 PM   #1
stymes01

Default keyless entry and hazards electrical gremlin

I'm looking for some suggestions as to where to start with an electrical gremlin. I have two problems I believe to be related. First, my keyless entry does not work when it gets cold. I get the three beeps like there is a door ajar everytime I use them in the winter. So far my keyless has been innopperative since september for the most part. Needless to say there is no door ajar. I've checked the switch under the hood and bent it up and the door switches look good. Along with this, occassionally when its cold they still work, today for example it was 35 degrees or so in the AM and they decided to work. 20 minutes into work the building engineer came and found me because my alarm was going off (for no reason) this is also typical if its cold the keyless entry decides to work. In other words if its cold the keyless wont work giving me the three beeps for the door ajar alarm and if the keyless does happen to work it trips alarm.

On to the second problem, also more frequent if its cold, is the hazard lights coming on if you opperate the windows. Just about everytime(maybe 1/3 at least) the windows are opperated it triggers the hazards same for sunroof and automatic close feature using the key from outside the car. This frustrates me no end and I am thinking its a bad ground and I may never find it, any suggestions on where to start? Could it be the safety sensor thing?
stymes01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
Bobbak

i would start by looking at every connection that is coming from the alarm from there you can determine if where is a loose wire.

BTW what kind of alarm do you have OEM /aftermarket
Bilsteins w/ H&R Sport, Depos w/ angeleyes and HID 5K, 50% short throw kit, Custom fogged intake, AC schnitzer pedels w/ deadpedels, leather stickshift knob, vitesse tuning Ebreak boot w/ shift boot, X-Brace, 325/328 brake upgrade, Gray millpoint leather and cloth interior, custom computer multimedia system, and Style 5 BBS 17" rims, M3 Mirrors, CF Hood

Bobbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:50 AM   #3
stymes01

the alarm is OEM my car is a totally stock 98 active I believe, the previous owner told me it was in a minor fender bender up front so I'm wondering if it has something to do with that, I'm actually not even sure where the alarm is located but I have the shop manual so I'll take a look asap . . . I'm used to volvo 240's that have practically zero electronics . . .
stymes01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 03:19 PM   #4
thesk8nmidget

well the alarm module is located behind the glovebox. its black with a big green connector
Current- 1995 318ti, sport model, schwartz
thesk8nmidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 03:24 PM   #5
thesk8nmidget

will look like this

Current- 1995 318ti, sport model, schwartz
thesk8nmidget is offline   Reply With Quote