318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,020,934 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-31-2004, 08:15 PM   #1
kiley_sean

I really don't like starting post, but it's only proper to introduce myself.

I have been into BMW's for about 7 years now. The ti was my 3rd bimmer, and has such a unique attitude. Yeah, it doesn't have great aftermarket support, respect, or much trunk space ;} , but it's already seeming like a "cult-classic".

I just found this site and had no idea that there was a forum dedicated to our ti's, besides a yahoo group site. I don't know how much I have missed out on, but I have already started searching through all of the tech. threads to catch-up on my tardy arrival.

There is some good info. here , especially for converted 318ti's. I leaned alot in just the first few post concerning diff. swaps and such. Good stuff.

Well, anyways, that's about enough for chit-chatting. If you don't see me starting any threads or posting, doesn't mean I am not on here for a couple hours everyday. I am a lurker.

Thanks,

Kiley
kiley_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 07:26 AM   #2
schussey

welcome- nice to see another from dtmpower
18'' Ace Wheels • Pirelli P7000 SS Tires • Bosal Brospeed Exhaust • B&M Short Throw Kit • H&R Sport Springs • Euro Clears • cat delete • Rogue Engineering Clutch Stop • Modded Airbox • blacked out kidney grilles • Suede Headliner/A Pillars

S52 CONVERSION UNDERWAY
schussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 10:28 PM   #3
hotdog19d

yea I was thinking the same thing, how Genies car by the way?
hotdog19d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 05:26 AM   #4
kiley_sean

So how is "Gene's" car?

Pretty good, could always be better. :P It was originally Tinik's car that he had converted (all the parts from his wrecked M3), and did a pretty good job, although it was nowhere near complete when I got it, even he will agree.

Been spending the past 5 months upgrading the suspension, cooling, electrical, and driveline on this little booger. Not to mention all the other little things that come along with an engine and chassis that is made up of about 3 or 4 cars.

I will tell you this much, the car is lucky that I bought it and not someone else, otherwise it wouldn't be running. It's a non-stop "fix one thing and something else breaks" kind of car. It's not for the faint of heart, or for someone who has no mechanical background. If I had to guess, I would say that I have spent anywhere from 150-175 hours on it so far. It want's to die, but I won't let it!!! :P

Anyways, I could give you a long-LONG list of parts replaced in my short ownership, but I will spare you. If I could go back in time, I would have just swapped an S50 in a ti myself that had a low mileage chassis instead of spending tons of $$$ and labor fixing the nickel and dime parts on a 100k body and engine. I have literally spent about 4 to 5,000$$ on maintanence items in the first 5months (Mods. not included). That's a damn Rotrex S/C right there!!!!

All I can say is that it's a "unique" car, and that is the only thing keeping me from getting rid of it. I have too much invested in it, especially hours in labor to let it go to some engrateful new owner.

So how is "My" car?
Old 02-02-2004, 06:35 AM   #5
hotdog19d

WOW I remember when he first had it for sale, it was when I totalled my first TI and I called him about. Thank god I didn't have the money for it, I couldn't afford to keep it running what have been the problems with it?
Old 02-02-2004, 05:50 PM   #6
kiley_sean

Well, Tinik did sit down with me and tell me all the things that needed attention, so it's not like I was sold a lemon. I got a damn good deal on the price and he even towed it up to my house from FL. , so Gene is the man.

I usually talk more shiet about the reliability than is justified. I just get frustrated because it is my daily driver, so getting it in running conditions is priority#1. If this had been a project car, like it was for Tinik, I would have been able to pick and choose whole sections of the car to fix at my lesuire.

I pm'd you all the repairs.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:53 PM   #7
hotdog19d

sorry didn't mean do imply the lemon thing
Old 02-03-2004, 03:44 AM   #8
kiley_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog19d
sorry didn't mean do imply the lemon thing
Nah, dude. I just wanted to correct myself if anyone got the impression that I was stating it was a lemon from my second post. It's a great car, and Tinik is the man, I have just been in bad terms with the car lately!!! It wasn't you, dude.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:20 PM   #9
ayton

glad you got and not someone else...like you said it takes someone who appreciates the car for what it is.
ayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 09:34 PM   #10
Ralliart

Welcome to the forums here. I'm also glad that Gene's car went to a good owner. I remember drooling over that F.S. add for quite some time. You will have to give us some new pictures of it.
Ralliart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 05:18 AM   #11
kiley_sean

Thanks, Kinka and ralli.

I uploaded some new pics in my DTM gallery (I got new wheels). The link is below in my sig.

Me, too!!! If you check over his 2 forsale threads, I made pleeds with him to keep it because I just knew that some punk would buy it and trash it out. I didn't have the money to buy it and was really sad.

***A little background*** I had driven down to Tiniks house in FLa. to pick up a getrag and some other drivline parts when I did a tranny swap for my 318is. That's when I saw his ti parked in the driveway. I was floored. It was the fuel for me to do an engine swap in my 318is months later (The project never happened as you will read later). I was so damned impressed with that car and fell in love with it that very day. That was almost 2 years ago.*******

Anyways, he had it up for sale for several months. Last Feb. I got I got deployed for 6 months for the war. I thought about that car alot and was sure that it would be sold by the time I got back to the states. Well, the first thing I did when I got home on the 20th of Aug. 03 to do was to get an update on his car. BEHOLD!!! It was not sold yet!!!

I said to myself right then and there that I would sell my 318is for cheap (even though I bought an M50 to swap into it), and free up the cash needed to buy it. One thing lead to another and the next thing I knew Gene towed the 330ti to my house with title in hand on the 28th of August. You wouldn't believe the feeling I had when I saw him pulling up with it on the dolly. I was like, "OMFG....nobody has ever rawked like I do right now!!!".

Long sotry short, Tinik is the man. He even gave me a CD compiling of the step-by-step processes the car went through.

I haven't heard from him in quite awhile now. I remember him buying a 7-series and saying that he had some "serious" plans for it!!! I think he has been working on it in secrecy, awaiting for the day it is finished, and then he is going to post some crazy thread blowing everyone's minds. He had a built-up civic hatch w/ an engine swap before the ti, so I know at the very least that he is going to be swapping in some crazy engine into the 7. I look forward to hearing from Gene again.

Anyways, that's my story.

Sorry if there is any typos or bad grammar. I suck at proof-reading. ;}

Kiley

P.S., Ralli,you had the black ti, right?
Old 02-11-2004, 04:18 PM   #12
Ralliart

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiley_sean
P.S., Ralli,you had the black ti, right?
Yeah, thats me. Awesome choice for wheels man! I am so jealous.

I graduate from college in June and already have my full time position lined up. You can expect to see me driving an M3 or M3ti this summer.
Ralliart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 06:48 PM   #13
kiley_sean

That sounds good. I wished I had finished college, now I am jealous!!! I say keep your ti and do the conversion.