318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Induction

Notices

Induction Superchargers, NO2 and turbos.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 95,680 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 58,618 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 56,040 Views
M50+manual swap bastard...
03-01-2024 11:00 PM
Last post by Andy318
03-18-2024 02:34 PM
3 Replies, 130,941 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-26-2007, 10:23 PM   #1
318racer

Default Custom Supercharger setup

Ok so, i dont have the money to pay for a DASC or a mosselman turbo, but i definately want forced induction for my ti. I want a custom supecharger/turbo setup for my ti. Do any of u guys think that this is plausibile? After reasearching in the threads, i found out that turbos are harder to have for the ti. If this is the case, ill stick with a custom supercharger setup. im thinking about using the M62 eaton supercharger (the same one as in the DASC). I can get one for pretty cheap on ebay ( 3-400). What are some of the other things i need? Im pretty sure ill need a custom intake manifold. Where could i get this? also ill get the pulleys easily, but what do i do about the tubing? Is this going to be hard to fabricate my own? m just looking for info, cuz i hope to get started soon, if i could get some info to help me on my way thatd be great. thanks
318racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:24 PM   #2
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 318racer View Post
Is this going to be hard to fabricate my own?
LOL

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:51 AM   #3
zboot

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...24800255QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-9...30394735QQrdZ1

Perhaps it is possible?
zboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:21 AM   #4
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboot View Post
Perhaps it is possible?
Both of those are for a 6-cylinder engine. What do you propose should be done with the extra two pipes, etc.??? Are you going to lop them off with a hacksaw and keep them as spares?

Or were you trying to make a point that I obviously missed?

JMJ

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:31 AM   #5
zboot

hmm. . . we've got a couple bandsaws at work. . .

yeah. . i actually just noticed a few minutes ago that they're for 6 cylinder engines. . . tells you how much i know that I couldn't see that from the pictures alone.

But that's just the manifold, the rest of the kit could be useful.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:38 AM   #6
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboot View Post
But that's just the manifold, the rest of the kit could be useful.
Or not.

Honest answer to all of this? Leave the engineering to the engineers, it's what they do and they are good at it.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:52 AM   #7
mohaughn

I hate to even say this, but you would probably be better of getting something like the MA supercharger kit and then working to improve that before you install it. As far as we know father was able to get the kit working, and it is still working. But it was not a bolt on kit, and he didn't have much help from the vendor.

Your best bet is to save some more money and get the DASC. There is a reason it is the only kit on the market.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:22 AM   #8
HuGo

Kid, even if you did have the money you wouldnt be able to get the kit until fall. Why dont you just save your money from here until fall and join the GB that might get started. But until then, they are back ordered anyway, so just start saving now. I saved up 3K in 2 months. And this year in 2 months i also saved 5-6K. And in 3 days i came up with 700 dollars. In 2-3 weeks, ill have 1K saved. Its all doable, just be patient.

But like i said, even if you had the money now you wont be able to purchase it. Im sure in 4 months, you can save 3K. And youll atleast know you have a very well kit. You try to do something yourself without knowledge wont get you no where and you might destroy your engine. I Fing love my SC, its worth it. Ima love it more in a week. Its all worth the wait.

Half of these guys didnt think i could come up with the money for the kit and i did. If i was able to do it, you can too. Although they swear my parents bought it for me (yea, my parents really want me driving faster and having more power). Just stop eating out a lot, thats one of the biggest money savers there. Drive 70mph and not 80mph, thats saving money on gas and getting more MPG which is making you visit the gas station less. If your a big spender in clothes, wait. I used to buy a piece of clothing every pay check when i was in high school. I used to buy shoes every 3rd paycheck. And guess what, i still have the same clothes from high school. I buy clothes every now and there but not as much as i used too. And i dont remember the last time i bought new pairs of shoes. Looks like i gotta visit boarders soon

If your good at saving money, its very easy. If your not, its gonna be tough. I told my cousin to save his money so that he can buy a turbo kit for his car but he spends all his money on his girl, then buys like 15 dollar meals for himself. He literally throws his money away. If he did what i told him, he would have his car hooked up like mine. But thats on the person.

Get the DASC, you wont be disappointed.

[SIZE="4"]///M7
DASC TT Stg 3 Delete! S52 Powered!
Not Your Usual Ti, Twice As Fast Than Most

BMW ///Motorsport...

It doesn't need park distance control, and hates decadence. It is musclepacked, yet lightly wound. It lets you feel the asphalt and get you going with the smallest touch of the pedal. It provokes, seduces, and demands to be driven hard. It looks, sounds, and smells like performance.
HuGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:23 AM   #9
Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaughn View Post
. . .DASC. There is a reason it is the only kit on the market.
Tiny market.
Most of the performance-oriented buyers get 6-cylinder BMW's. The small number of potential buyers for M42/M44 stuff doesn't justify the development cost for most manufacturers.

For whatever reason, it appears to be tricky to get this motor to respond well to boost. On a vaguely related note, Miller just bagged their MAF kit citing difficulties with the M42.

Quote:
http://318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14273&page=3

The complications that have risen from the M42 System make it impossible at this point in time to release a product that holds to Miller Performance’s high standards. . .With over $6000 invested into the development, Miller Performance has stated that it is too costly to continue. . .
Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:39 AM   #10
zboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT View Post
Or not.

Honest answer to all of this? Leave the engineering to the engineers, it's what they do and they are good at it.
I'm an engineer :-). So yes, leave the engineering to me. I was actually looking at a similar kit (sans intake manifold earlier today). That is probably the hardest thing to get a hand of. Though, to be honest, if I really wanted to do this, and push came to shove. . .there is a guy at work who could fab one for me. . . (trust me. . he's that good).
Old 06-27-2007, 07:13 AM   #11
Den

Credentials aside, forced induction is not rocket science. . .especially if you don't get into reprogramming, which DASC avoids. It's basically plumbing, and I think most of the plumbing, other than the manifold, can be fabbed up with silicone tubing.

OTOH, a couple of other vendors have had trouble bringing a SC kit for this motor to market, and Miller had difficulty with a AFM/MAF swap. So. . .I think this motor has 'issues' that may make an off-the-shelf proven solution worth the $ for the time and dyno $ you would save in trying to get a custom solution to run well.

Also, in case it's not clear, my point in the post above about Miller bailing after spending $6k on research is that I doubt they would have quit if they thought folks were lined up by the hundreds to buy kits for this motor. I think lack of demand is the reason for DASC having the market(at least the US market) to itself, not unassailable superiority.

That said, I'm not knocking DASC. I think it's a fair deal for ~$3k, considering that similar kits from Europe are ~$5k.
http://www.tdi-plc.com/catalog/index...1_619_620_1589

but. . .although I keep looking at it, I have trouble talking myself into the DASC, when similar $ spent on my E30 would make it silly fast.
Quote:
http://turbochargingdynamics.com/
Congratulations to the TCD Crew for taking a
stock 1988 535is to 12.097 @ 119.72mph
stock 1989 325i to 12.75 @ 110mph.

http://turbochargingdynamics.com/tcd..._Turbo_m20.htm
Old 06-27-2007, 08:08 AM   #12
zboot

Oh. . speaking of reprogramming. . . this is great - not only do I have like 5-6 gearheads at work who all are working on various cars in various stages, two guys (one of whom I replaced) left partially to work full time on their own company where they make custom fuel injector boards and other related stuff. :-)
Old 06-27-2007, 08:11 AM   #13
zboot

Over the next couple months, I'll be looking more seriously into this. If I think I can get it to work. . I'll probably get started. I'm going to be here till the end of the year, so that's my time frame before I have to start befriending the machine shop guys and MEs at VT.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:18 AM   #14
Den

Okay Z, do it up!

Get your guy to fab a prototype intake, then send it to China to have a batch done(probably why DASC is waiting on manifolds at the moment. . .) Then sell kickass kits with all the fuel management tuning taken care of, basically like DASC + NickG2, for ~$3k FTW!

p.s. Maybe a few Ti guys would buy at an 'introductory price' to help with the development costs.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:56 AM   #15
zboot

lol - we shall see. That would take a ridiculous amount of. . . I don't know what to get that to happen. See, when we have problems or parts to fab or something that we can't quite figure out. . we kinda wander in and let him "overhear" us discussing this really complex mechanical issue. Then he wanders by and is like, "hmm, yeah, I know exactly what to do, give that here." I think me wandering in one saturday going "woe is me, how will I ever get this intake manifold done" won't be enough :-)

To be honest though, I'm still kinda hoping for an m3 engine to fall into my lap.