318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Knowledge Base

Notices

Knowledge Base How to articles and things explained.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Comments, 95,369 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Comments, 58,256 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Comments, 55,739 Views
M50+manual swap bastard...
03-01-2024 11:00 PM
Last post by Andy318
03-18-2024 02:34 PM
3 Comments, 130,531 Views
Comment Share/Bookmark

Tutorial Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2008, 05:27 AM  
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Default PERMANENT WINDOW FIX***DIY***

There's been plenty of threads, but none as detailed as this one. I'm confident that I have identified the source of our problems and developed a permanent solution.

I "fixed" my window many times before I finally got sick of dealing with it and was on the verge of retrofitting...

Last edited by cooljess76; 07-08-2010 at 09:42 AM.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
By vinrod on 07-29-2012, 09:56 PM

Thanks Cooljess! Made this fix 4 years ago following your DIY. Excellent job.

Well, it's time to do it again.

BTW, Gorilla Glue works excellent to hold the clip posts on the door panel. Only 1 let go from 4 years ago. Fast curing (1 hour) is now available.
By cooljess76 on 07-30-2012, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinrod View Post
Thanks Cooljess! Made this fix 4 years ago following your DIY. Excellent job.

Well, it's time to do it again.

BTW, Gorilla Glue works excellent to hold the clip posts on the door panel. Only 1 let go from 4 years ago. Fast curing (1 hour) is now available.
Lol, awesome man! 4 years isn't quite permanent, but hopefully this next time around it'll give you another at least another 4 years of problem free windows
By rich_thor on 11-02-2012, 11:20 PM

cooljess i wish i wasnt as infusiatsic impatiant/man to stop and read ur whole steps loooooool i was like yep ok door isnt working both sides and o i see yep door pannal off look o its the sliders k i need new 1s k il get them untill then lets see wats going on btw all ive done is i think looked at a few words lol it goes up and pops out im an idiot im like o its all over the place hmm the ball keeps popping out wtf il bend the arm cause its moving away as it goes up and pops not once did i know there was a horizontal arm on the front holding it in place tomorrow this window is getting fixed no i have read all 11 pages of this post lol i think sites like these and people like all of urselfs are amazing! i just need to stop being impatiant and lazy to read it all haha!
need to get the driver side front horizontal arm rewelded on as it fell off well it was like it when i bought the car!
ahhh im excited now its like xmas wanna fix it now so bad lol thanks again i really hope its not in the runner so i know its just that proplem

ooo and the car came with other problems im hoping there is a olace on this site i can be guided too
my front fogs dont work and the horn doesnt either and if there is anything on getting the dam locking nut off with out the lock nut would be fantastic as it was not in the car after purchase and the wheels are broke buckled unsafe for the road
By rich_thor on 11-06-2012, 11:16 PM

hi there again read the post again and gonna read it again in a bit but i wanna just ask cause im loosing my marbles loool i got a pic of the situation
the glass will go all the way up without poping the off the runner and closes as should! (never did b4) so im half way there i hope! but on the way down about 7inchs the left runner pops off and the glass at front (car side) runner comes out! im twisting all over the place but im scared of breaking it if i keep doing it wrong! so here is the image!
really need some help here i just cant work out where its going wrong

By Eric on 11-06-2012, 11:28 PM

So it looks like the glass is popping out of the front runner toward the outside.

First, I would recommend making sure that everything else in the system is working properly. If I can decipher your unpunctuated post correctly, it sounds as though one of the arms that raises the glass is damaged - if so, that has to be fixed before you can do anything else.

Are the nylon sliders in the window channel, that the spherical joints on the ends of the arms snap into, in good condition?

If every other part of the window mechanism seems good, then, yes, you need to bend the rear edge of the front runner inward.

- Eric
By cooljess76 on 11-06-2012, 11:32 PM

You have to close your eyes and try to invision what is happening inside the door when the window comes off track. The forward and rear vertical tracks are supposed to be perfectly parallel with each other. This is what holds the window in the tracks. First you need to determine if the window is coming out of the forward or rear track. Then you need to determine if it's coming out towards the inboard or outboard(towards the interior of the car or towards the exterior). Next you want to imagine which direction that track twisted to allow the window to come out inward or outward, remove the window and twist the vertical track the opposite direction so it's parallel with the other vertical track.
By cooljess76 on 11-06-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
So it looks like the glass is popping out of the front runner toward the outside.

First, I would recommend making sure that everything else in the system is working properly. If I can decipher your unpunctuated post correctly, it sounds as though one of the arms that raises the glass is damaged - if so, that has to be fixed before you can do anything else.

Are the nylon sliders in the window channel, that the spherical joints on the ends of the arms snap into, in good condition?

If every other part of the window mechanism seems good, then, yes, you need to bend the rear edge of the front runner inward.

- Eric
You ALWAYS need to bend the vertical track back into position. Obviously it's twisted if it allowed the window to come off track in the first place. The problem is that so many people like yourself, are too lazy to read the actual tutorial. They think that simply straightening the regulator arms and regreasing the sliders is going to fix the problem. There's more to it than that.
By rich_thor on 11-06-2012, 11:57 PM

sorry that wasnt so clear! ok so as u can see its coming out the front runner but at the same time or wat appears to be the same time the rear lifting arm pops out the nylon sliders were in good condition but has broken the bottom circle now watched it fly past my face but i genuinly think that its pushing it out quite hard so even with a good 1 it would still come out!

so to me its like its being twisted off but i have oppened the rails wide on the rear so there is actually a bit of room to move its really hard to get to the top front runner to twist it so i oppened it up a lil bit to try eliminate making it go down wrong and twisting it out!
hope this makes sence?
By cooljess76 on 11-07-2012, 12:47 AM

If the window is coming out of the front vertical track, you're only making the problem worse by prying the track open. If the slider is broken, you'll need to replace it.
Last edited by cooljess76; 11-07-2012 at 01:09 AM..
By Eric on 11-07-2012, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
You ALWAYS need to bend the vertical track back into position. Obviously it's twisted if it allowed the window to come off track in the first place. The problem is that so many people like yourself, are too lazy to read the actual tutorial. They think that simply straightening the regulator arms and regreasing the sliders is going to fix the problem. There's more to it than that.
I'm not sure whether your reply was meant for me or someone else, as you are suggesting exactly what I had just advised him to do.

- Eric
By cooljess76 on 11-07-2012, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I'm not sure whether your reply was meant for me or someone else, as you are suggesting exactly what I had just advised him to do.

- Eric
I was just implying that there are no "ifs" about it. If the window comes off track, one or both of the vertical tracks are twisted allowing it to do so.
By rich_thor on 11-07-2012, 01:12 AM

if the missing word was slide i have 4 on order but till then assumed i could sesolve this issue with wat i have!?? or get very close?

so u suggest closing the horizontal tracks front and back leaving about a 6mm gap for the glass?
By cooljess76 on 11-07-2012, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_thor View Post
if the missing word was slide i have 4 on order but till then assumed i could sesolve this issue with wat i have!?? or get very close?

so u suggest closing the horizontal tracks front and back leaving about a 6mm gap for the glass?
yes and yes, lol. I fixed my post(forgot to type "slider") and yes, the tracks should evenly hold the window glass. You want equal resistance front and rear when the window goes up and down. Unequal resistance will put more strain on one of the regulator arms and cause it to bend.
By Eric on 11-07-2012, 01:25 AM

The point is that the two vertical tracks (one of which I imprecisely called the "front runner" in my post above) are what hold the glass in place.
Each of these tracks - front and rear - must be clamped tight enough to gently but securely locate the glass and must be at an exactly 90° angle to the glass.
If either of these vertical tracks is twisted, even a little bit, to the inside or the outside, then it will spit out the glass when it gets a little torque from the regulator mechanism, through the horizontal track.
The horizontal track must be very clean and well greased, the nylon sliders must slide along it easily, and the scissors arms must be bent straight, with the ball ends at exactly 90° to the arms.

- Eric
By drowan on 11-07-2012, 09:17 AM

Great write up cooljess just bought a 318ti and its also from michigan so im seriously considering doing this.. Thanks!!
Comment