318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Induction

Notices

Induction Superchargers, NO2 and turbos.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,024,620 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 06-02-2005, 01:58 PM   #1
nuvolarossa

Talking Custom supercharger with on/off switch

Hi, I have buy a Eaton M62 s/c from mercedes benz 230k. It has a magnetic clutch that can be used by a switch. These are the pics:

I want use the manifold that comes with the s/c, so I must connect a hose between the s/c inlet and engine piloted by a electrovalve, so when I turn off the s/c the air from filter bypass the eaton and go directly to the engine. In conclusion I must pilot with a switch the pulley, the valve for the NA use, and a sort of elettro-fpr.... and this is the problem: if I use the eaton all time on I will use a normal Fpr, but I turn it on/off by switch I must change the fueling every time I push the switch. There is any fpr that can use two regulation and it can be piloted by switch?

Watch the scheme. When the s/c is working the air is the BLACK line, when it's off it go directly to the engine(BLUE)

The problem is adjust the fueling every time I will push the switch. What can I use leaving the ECU original?
thanks

SUGGESTIONS ARE ACCEPTED BECAUSE IT'S A HARD JOB...
thanks
bye
nuvolarossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 02:24 PM   #2
Shaggy
Site Moderator

I have a Mercedes Benz 230k 04' with the same supercharger, well all the new kompressors have a s/c in it but, I don't know how it would work with the way the s/c is built and to make it workable with our engine. IMO I wouldnt use it I would get the DASC instead. And its going to be turned on and off . Maybe its just me but that doesn't sound right. Well good luck with that anyways, hope it all goes well for ya.

Nick
1995 BMW 318iC.
Modifications by: Understeer.com, M3 Aerodynamics, Bilstein, Stromung, Turner Motorsports, Bavarian Autosport and Downing Atlanta Superchargers.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 03:57 PM   #3
mickd

I'm pretty sure the electrically operated magnetic clutch is used to maintain a constant pressure from the supercharger. Don't think you could turn it on or off at will without modification to the fuel management.
mickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 04:12 PM   #4
ZeroG
I miss my Ti....... :(

Default Thoughts ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuvolarossa
Hi, I have buy a Eaton M62 s/c from mercedes benz 230k. It has a magnetic clutch that can be used by a switch. These are the pics:

I want use the manifold that comes with the s/c, so I must connect a hose between the s/c inlet and engine piloted by a electrovalve, so when I turn off the s/c the air from filter bypass the eaton and go directly to the engine. In conclusion I must pilot with a switch the pulley, the valve for the NA use, and a sort of elettro-fpr.... and this is the problem: if I use the eaton all time on I will use a normal Fpr, but I turn it on/off by switch I must change the fueling every time I push the switch. There is any fpr that can use two regulation and it can be piloted by switch?

Watch the scheme. When the s/c is working the air is the BLACK line, when it's off it go directly to the engine(BLUE)

The problem is adjust the fueling every time I will push the switch. What can I use leaving the ECU original?
thanks

SUGGESTIONS ARE ACCEPTED BECAUSE IT'S A HARD JOB...
thanks
bye
OK, the Mercedes blower uses a magnetic clutch in place of a bypass valve that would normally be used with this kind of set up. It is actually the hardest and most expensive route to go.

The way you drew the diagram will not work. It is not even how a roots blower works, so I suggest you do some serrious research before you begin working and spending money on this idea.

To help you out lets call the Eaton M62 a pump because that is all it does is pump air. It is actually no a compressor at all. It work by push ing air into the manifold and then when the valve are closed it continues to push air into the manifold which creates compression. The blower itself compresses nothing. It works by using pressure. The reason they have bypasses is so that you don't need to use the blower 100% of the time. When the Bypass valve is open it equalizes the pressuer on the blower side of the intake manifold as well as on the engine side. With the pressure being the same on both sides there is no compression. So basically with the valve open the blower pushes air into the manifold and then when there is too much air instead of compressing it has a way out back into the blower. When the bypass is closed the pressrue on one side the engine side is greater then the pressure on the intake side which creates compression.

I am sure that the magnetic clutch theory is a little different but in the end has to be the same principal.

Just a guess:

When the the clutch is not enguaged the pulley spins freely with the engine (like a conduit) when the clutch is engauged it turns the blower creating the second step listed above.

I am pretty sure with a magnetic clutch type system a bypass route is not needed. The air will just travel freely though the blower.

As far as fuel management with an on/off switch that you described you will need to either go piggyback ECU triggered by a switch such as SAFC, Split Second, etc ..., Or complete stand alone AEM, TEC III, Or Haltech.

Hope that helps.

-Chad
Old 07-20-2005, 02:29 PM   #5
tEso

i think u should consult both a Merc technican and a bmw and work things out with them so it could work on ur engine.. !
..::bmw E36/5 316i ...Hamann 17" HM2 Rims.....K&N superflow filter....Hamann E36 Exhaust.....Mtech body kit with a Rieger M E46 bumper.....E46 M original Electrical folding up mirriors.... Gonna b Sc soon...! ::..
http://home.insightbb.com/~shahabm3/...0/site1014.jpg
tEso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 10:00 AM   #6
KOjag

Start with putting your throttle body up stream of the blower (the s/c drawing air through the throttle body not blowing into it) . and your by-pass setup will be the simplist thing if and when you wire the 12v switch for that clutch, you need a regular vacume operated by-pass valve (found on any eaton roots sytem in the junk yard IE:89 ford thunderbird, or any GM3800 sc)and connect the two smaller pipes on that manifold using it. For fuel you can start with a boost sensative fuel pressure regulator like a vortech 12:1. By the way what youve got there is an Eaton M45 which will requare an intercooler due to its smaller size your going to have to spin it up much faster then an M62 and your going to genarate alot more heat to do the same job.The real mission will be mounting that sucker and having it align perfectly with the stock surpentine belt and finding a way to get the belt routed where you want it without touching anything or missing the alternator.
Just my $0.02
KOjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 05:11 PM   #7
mischief

i have the same supercharger
when you finsh show me pictures
mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 09:14 AM   #8
nuvolarossa

Hi,
All I need now is a RRFPR and a conical filter.
For the FPR I choose Begi billet rising rate, but for the filter I don't say nothing. I'm thinking of go with K&N or BMC air filters. The inlet of filter must be of 70mm of diameter (2.75 in).

My doubts are between these products:
1) BMC SA 70-140 click for view the infos
2) BMC Twin Air 70/140 click for view infos

The BMW twin air worth its cost? or I can buy SA 70/140 and save the money for the BEGI RRFPR?

Another question:
for the regulation of RRFPR I'm indecise between a normal mechanic manometer that will fit near the regulator, or a electronic manometer that will fit on the cockpit. What is better?

For the bypass I have a Bosch 710N used by audi/vw 1.8t.

thank you
Old 08-29-2005, 07:29 PM   #9
pdxmotorhead

The Mercedes engine that uses that blower has a seperate air bypass
that opens when the blower is off.

Good Luck
Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 12:12 PM   #10
nuvolarossa

Now the filter isn't a problem... I have buy a K&N.
So now I need the FPR...
Old 09-01-2005, 04:07 PM   #11
nuvolarossa

Ah, another info: the supercharger will work 100% on as DASC without the on/off by switch of the start of this thread.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:40 AM   #12
TiPerformance

Check this out, the same supercharger converted over to a solid pulley. Much better than the electric clutch in my oppinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	Schargerwwe.gif Views:	761 Size:	169.5 KB ID:	725   Click image for larger version Name:	Scharger2.gif Views:	514 Size:	121.2 KB ID:	726  
TiPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 02:43 PM   #13
weezer

If this works, please show me/us some pictures and the installation procedures.
Check this auction on ebay for a so-called "centrifugal-supercharger". It's cheap, but what it looks like is a small fan installed behind a cone air filter and hooked up to the throttle body: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-3...temZ8001805036
Claiming an increase of 10-15% at full throtle.....which isn't bad for the price if this true......LOL

1997 318ti, Hellrot (Bright Red), Dinan Stage 2 Chip
16x7 OEM sport Wheels/X-Brace/Custom Strut Brace/Cold Air Intake/M-Tec Steering Wheel/Koni Adjustable FrontShocks/ Bilstein Sport Rear Shocks /H&R Sport Springs/Custom fabricated strut tower brace/Rear Strut brace, Stromung Exhaust
Future Mods: E46 17" wheels or Kosei K-1 17x8.5s
weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 05:49 PM   #14
TiPerformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezer
If this works, please show me/us some pictures and the installation procedures.
Check this auction on ebay for a so-called "centrifugal-supercharger". It's cheap, but what it looks like is a small fan installed behind a cone air filter and hooked up to the throttle body: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-3...temZ8001805036
Claiming an increase of 10-15% at full throtle.....which isn't bad for the price if this true......LOL

That "blower motor" that you posted will not give you any gains, if anything it will hurt performance because it will cause blockage in the intake tract. There is only one real electric supercharger out on the market that acutally works and that is sold by Thomas Knight www.boosthead.com. Do not buy those Pieces of Crap blower motors they sell on ebay because all of their claims are BS.
TiPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 06:03 PM   #15
Gabriel_318

Man I know it reduces the parasitic loss that other FAI systems have, but the weight it adds is nearly as bad. Maybe when we get solar panels that can handle that much current...