318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Electrical

Notices

Electrical All wiring questions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,023,993 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 03-06-2006, 08:04 PM   #1
martin22202

Default Brake Light Problem

Having a problem with my rear brake lights. The center high brake light is working, but both the left and right brake tail lights are not working. The bulbs and fuses seem to be okay. Don't know about the relays. Was thinking about replacing the brake light switch under the steering column, but then realized the center high brake light was okay, so am wondering whether it can be the switch or is something else. Only other thing I could think of is to jump the left and right tail brake lights to the center high brake light.
martin22202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 07:03 AM   #2
cali-ti
aka Stabby

most likely the bulbs. had the same thing happen. pull a bulb and take it with you to make sure you get the correct ones.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 01:12 PM   #3
andyman7931

make sure the right bulb is in there, some of them have dual filiments...
andyman7931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 01:38 PM   #4
T-Huss

ya know the brake light wire shorted out and blew my ignition fuse... i was like wtf happened to my car. tried jump starting it nothin.. tried the ole' push start.. nothin.. my friends were like dude ur car just ****ted on u. so i had it towed to bmw and they found out the problem and took care of it in 2 hrs cost me $207 tho..just thought id share
T-Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:31 PM   #5
martin22202

Cali-TI and Andyman,

Maybe I'm missing something, but I checked the bulbs and they don't seem to be the problem. The filaments all look okay. There are five bulbs in each of the left and right tail light assemblies: a little one of lower wattage in the middle that works, then two 21 watt two filament bulbs on the outer part (away from the center) and two 21 watt one filaments bulbs on the inner part (towards the center). I had several two filament 21 watt bulbs, bought two one filament 21 watt bulbs at the dealer, and tried several combinations. The two filament bulbs don't fit in the one filament bulb slots. It's the one filament bulbs on the inner side of both assemblies that don't seem to work, and which I'm assuming are the brake lights. The turn signal lights and backing lights are working. I got the car back from the dealer several weeks ago, when they had to replace the starter, and now I'm wondering whether the dealer mechanic may have accidently cut a wire when he replaced the starter, as the brake light problem appears to have started then.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:42 PM   #6
cali-ti
aka Stabby

time to start checking the wires then. see if you're getting voltage to the sockets.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:23 PM   #7
J!m

Vehicles

Just so everyone is clear: There is a provision for single filament bulbs in the assemblies that do not illuminate on US model cars. This position is for the rear fog lights, used in the rest of the world, but not here. The wiring to make these light up is not provided in the US spec. ti, so if these are the bulb/sockets you are referring to, they shouldn't work.

There is a mod on one of the boards to add these to the stock brake lights for additional brake lighting, but they did not work from the factory.

There should not be a bulb mounted in this position either. have someone step on the brake pedal (with the key on) and verify the brake lights are illuminating. If not, THEN you have a problem...

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 03:46 PM   #8
martin22202

I'm starting to think you're right, that the problem is with the light bulbs. After I jumped the high center brake light to the left and right brake lights, all the brakes lights worked, but then the left tail light stopped working. So, then I got a bunch more new bulbs, and after I put them in, all the brake lights started to work without any jumps. Now, I still have to jump the right tail light to the left tail light, but then everything seems to work. It's weird, the bulbs look okay, and I think I have the correct ones in, but . . . . The two filament bulbs have two nonconcentric contacts on the bottom. . . . Anyway, thanks! Maybe I'll be able to get them all working without any jumps soon. Don't know whether jumps would pass state inspection.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:27 PM   #9
J!m

Vehicles

As long as the jumpers are under the plastic/carpet and out of sight, all they care is the lights work.

They will be checking for the spare tire, so be sure you hide them well...

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote