318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
1997 manual 318TI M...
Yesterday 09:38 AM
Last post by angwydwagon
Yesterday 09:38 AM
0 Replies, 273 Views
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by kupkake303
05-09-2024 06:12 PM
211 Replies, 1,312,023 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-01-2006, 03:19 PM   #46
marleymon

less body roll-
strut brace- xbrace- coil-overs- or sport shocks- or sport springs-
probably a few ways to reduce roll.
I'm assuming you have an lsd?

not sure why people care that you drift your ti. It might not be the best car for it, but who the fuk cares?

daddies1996bmw318 seems too, but she knows everything.

Funny how precious the ti is to some.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:07 PM   #47
mischief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996Bmw318TI

no, but he sure brought it up after movie came out, and hes been a members since may, so yea...

y do you care when his been a member
mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 05:29 PM   #48
Mad-Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variance
Atleast they've pretty much run out of "underground" motorsports to make movies with. They've done street racing, street racing with turns, and drifting. Not really anything left.
Nah, they still have Rallying to ruin for the rest of us...
Mad-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 07:04 PM   #49
TORJTHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996Bmw318TI
woah WATCH OUT bad as$, mr you watched tokyo drift and your a pro now at drifting.
i was into it way before the 1st movie came out .... ever heard of Initial D the anime or game ... they even came out with the live action film
Old 07-01-2006, 07:10 PM   #50
TORJTHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischief
y do you care when his been a member
my car wasnt really running for a while and know i have money to upgrade suspension and what not so i was curious ... i love how every one is like woh look out he saw the movie and now he wants to drift .... there have been many other movies out about drifting ... that were good and didnt denounce it .... so get over the fact that i brought it up after the movie ... just because you dont think that you can drift a ti dosnt mean that it cant be done .... buddies AE86 has 90 horses to the wheels and he drifts .... it depends on what style you use and how you do it ... plus its all a bout power to weight ratios... and thats what im working on right now ... my ti is to heavy at the moment ... and i am ripping every thing out .... if you dont like drifting then just dont reply its not that hard
Old 07-01-2006, 08:22 PM   #51
aceyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORJTHM
actually that would just make it worse ... if you knew about drifting you have to have traction in the rear bald tires just make it uncontrolable and you will spin out
I fully admit to knowing crap about drifting.

I also know nothing about 15th Century dolls nor macrame. Frankly, I'm okay with that.

From what people tell me, you want decent grip tires (ideally mounted on a separate set of rims) and adjustable everything. So, your basic coil-over systems or whatever.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:26 PM   #52
TORJTHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceyx
I fully admit to knowing crap about drifting.

I also know nothing about 15th Century dolls nor macrame. Frankly, I'm okay with that.

From what people tell me, you want decent grip tires (ideally mounted on a separate set of rims) and adjustable everything. So, your basic coil-over systems or whatever.

prety much ... for now im just going with a good set of shocks and springs ... (do they make coilovers for th ti or do we have to custom fit them???) then im doing sway bars and x-brase, roll cage, and any thing i can do to cut weight.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:48 PM   #53
316i compact

Quote:
Originally Posted by marleymon
not sure why people care that you drift your ti. It might not be the best car for it, but who the fuk cares?
It was time for someone to say it!
Alpina front lip spoiler,ACS roof spoiler,OEM clear rear-side lights,In-Pro blackchrome front indicators,Lummar tinted glasses,318ti.org decalls,Eibach Sportline 45mm/30mm springs,Bilstein Sprint shocks,16mm rear sway bar,front eccentric wishbone bushes,E46 conv. RSMs,5mm rear lower spring seats,OMP alloy strut brace front,racing24 carbon/alloy strutbrace rear,x brace,K&N panel filter,L&W back box 2x84mm,BBS RK 8x17,Fulda Carat Exelero 225-45-17Y,Brembo drilled front rotors
316i compact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 09:01 PM   #54
TORJTHM

ya thanks man ... who cares ... im not going to rag on some one if they drag race their ti or any thing else like that ... so stop raging on drifting ... people who have no respect for it is due to the fact that they havnt tried it, cant do it or havnt really watched it ... it takes extreme skill and precision to do something like this ... and im not just sliding around one turn ... im talking consecutive drifts ... linking your turns together.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:35 PM   #55
Variance

Well, I would'nt quite say that it "takes extreme skill and precision to do something like this", but it does take some practice. Anyway, since you seem set on this, I might as well help. When setting up your suspension, a stiffer rear suspension and softer front suspension will increase the car's tendency to oversteer, making it easier to kick the rear out. Running a higher spring rate and larger diameter sway bar in the rear should give the effect you're looking for. However, be careful with this, because if you overdo it, then the car will be practically impossible to control.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:51 PM   #56
TORJTHM

thanks for the help ... i already took into consideration those ideas ... and i think they will help a lot ... i had that problem with my AE86 coupe ... and my rear kept spinning out and i had to lower the spring rate and get a smaller sway bar .. but after that the car was amazing ... to bad its gone now
Old 07-01-2006, 11:01 PM   #57
SDKmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Machine
Nah, they still have Rallying to ruin for the rest of us...
I dont think rallying is considered a 'underground' motor sport since its pretty mainstream now. I think its great that this guy is setting up his car for drifting. Drifting is awsome and its cool to have the ti represented in all forms of motorsport.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:06 PM   #58
TORJTHM

thats one reason why i got the ti .. since im a drifter and i have never seen a ti at any drifting even or even on the street
Old 07-02-2006, 12:13 AM   #59
mischief

Quote:
i was into it way before the 1st movie came out .... ever heard of Initial D the anime or game ... they even came out with the live action film
Imitial D i still have my playing cards
hey did they ever come out with a english version on live film
mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 12:29 AM   #60
AlaskaBlue

Quote:
(do they make coilovers for th ti or do we have to custom fit them???)
Yes they make coil-overs for the ti. Search for KW suspension, H&R, TC Kline, or Ground control. Honestly I don't think you will want to just go with a shock and spring combo unless you plan on getting some custom spring rates. I think the H&R spring rates are not high enough. Not to mention if you just go with the bilstien combo you have NO adjustability. Koni's offer a little more adjustment, but it is still nothing to write home about. If you are serious about this whole drifting deal then I suggest you not skimp on the suspension department.

Also look into a brake bias controler. Real race cars use it to adjust brake bias as the burn off gas or if conditions change. You could use it screw up your brake bias all to the rear to get the back of the car to come out.

Also look into the bushings and camber plates. A lot of people overlook these suspension components. Bushings on cars as old as ours are probably shot. I know mine were and there was an amazing difference for before and after. You also are you going to want camber plates for obvious reasons.