318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 1,004,511 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 02-26-2007, 11:18 PM   #1
318racer

Default trailing arm installation help.

hi evryone, i crashed my ti a couple months ago, and thanks to the help of evryone bought a replacement trailing arm that i needed to replace for a good deal. I am working on putitng it in and was experiencing some problems. the sep i am stuck on is when i try to get the bolt to get the axle off, it will not budge i tried wd-40 and a tourque wrench, and many other tekniques, and spent several hours on it. My problem is that when i try to get the bolt off, the axle spins because the bolt is so tight. Is there anyway to stop this, holding the brakes didnt work. I was wondering if any of u guys can help me through the process of replacing the traling arm? Are there any good guides for this? again i really appreciate your help because i cannot afford to have it replaced by BMW (asked 1700 dollars) and belive i can do it my self. Thanks a lot. here is a link to the previous thread that i started abbout this.

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14009
318racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:23 PM   #2
mohaughn

Take your rim and take the center cap out of it. Put the wheel back on and put the car back on the ground. You should break that bolt loose with all four wheels on the ground. You'll probably need a breaker bar and may need an extension for the socket. You'll also need to buy a new lock plate to lock the bolt back on when you reinstall the half-shaft.

This kind of takes you through the process. Bentley or Haynes manuals also have info on how to do it. http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...el_bearing.htm
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:26 PM   #3
318racer

thanks for replying, my friend tried to do the exaxt same thing, and for some reason the bolt sitll did not come off. Do you know if there is a way to get it off with a socket/torque wrencth? my breaker did not work when i tried this, again thanks for your help.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:16 AM   #4
Mad-Machine

just out of curiosity, you are turning the right way?
Mad-Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:05 AM   #5
318racer

hahaha yes. good question though. Does anyone else have any advice/other linksuld be helpful.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:13 AM   #6
mohaughn

Get a breaker bar that works and you will have it off in no time. It is torqued to 150 pounds. It will take a lot of force to get it loose. Without a breaker bar you would probably have to stand/jump on a normal socket driver to break it loose.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:16 AM   #7
318racer

ok thanks, will the axle still rotate with the breaker bar?
Old 02-27-2007, 05:20 AM   #8
mohaughn

Not with the wheels on the ground.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:26 AM   #9
L84THSKY

I've taken my axles out twice. Use the breaker bar with a pipe over it. Then it comes off fairly easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 318racer View Post
hahaha yes. good question though. Does anyone else have any advice/other linksuld be helpful.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:43 AM   #10
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

Use the leverage, Luke!

Wasn't it that Atlas guy who said something about giving him a long enough lever and he could move the world? :-D

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:11 AM   #11
mischief

try sticking a pry bar between the two bolts this way the axle wount move and have you tryed useing a air gun on the Bolt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	3.23f.jpg Views:	158 Size:	37.2 KB ID:	3300  
mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:13 PM   #12
L84THSKY

Is that where he was trying to get the bolt/nut off, on the diff itself? I thought he was talking about the axle nut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischief View Post
try sticking a pry bar between the two bolts this way the axle wount move and have you tryed useing a air gun on the Bolt

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:34 PM   #13
mischief

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY View Post
Is that where he was trying to get the bolt/nut off, on the diff itself? I thought he was talking about the axle nut.
not on the bolts on the diff but on the bolt/nut across

like this but on the axle bolts near the diff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	diff13.jpg Views:	165 Size:	67.0 KB ID:	3301   Click image for larger version Name:	diff19.jpg Views:	170 Size:	101.4 KB ID:	3302  
mischief is offline   Reply With Quote