318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 106,281 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 69,219 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 66,460 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 05-26-2006, 12:34 AM   #1
L84THSKY

Default Wheel alignment

I just went to Firestone, to see if they could do a wheel alignment on my car. It was lowered last weekend, and needs to be aligned. He punched in the data into his computer, and the machine said weights must be added to the driver's and passengers front seats. Also the car needs a full tank of gas to do it correctly.

Anyone ever heard of this? I know he wasn't jerking me around, because I watched him type the info into the computer, and a diagram of my car appeared, along with the points shown where weight must be added.

He said they do not perform alignments on BMW cars because of the procedure called out by BMW.

Do you think there are other European repair shops that will do the job, besides the dealerships?

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 12:45 AM   #2
CirrusSR22

The Bentley mentions doing this for alignments and for the front control arm bushings. When I did mine (LCAB) I loaded it as closely as possible to that spec.

If you were to bring it in loaded correctly you'd think they could then do it. But maybe they don't want to deal with that??

For those interested, The Bentley says:

150 lbs. Front Right Seat
150 lbs. Front Left Seat
150 lbs. Rear Seat (Center)
46 lbs. in trunk
Full Fuel
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 12:48 AM   #3
nusstroy

thats really interesting, i never heard anything like it lol
Old 05-26-2006, 12:53 AM   #4
AlaskaBlue

That seems like it would give the car too little camber in daily driving.

I had my car aligned with as much fuel as I plan to have during autocrosses (1/4 tank)and nothing in the seats.

If you want a good handling car you do want to have negative camber.

Do you know what kind of specs you are going for?
Old 05-26-2006, 12:56 AM   #5
clex2

Yes, proper alignment ideally calls for you to sit in the drivers seat and have half to a full tank of gas. Besides the dealer, there are some alignment shops I would trust which service high end cars/race cars. You usually find them by word of mouth. I would not trust the run of the mill pep boys, firestone, sears, etc. The ones I know are on the west coast, so sorry I can't help you out east.
'95 330ti CS w/sr delete, S50USB30, cams, 24# inj, Conforti SW, Euro HFM, Samco Silicone Intake Boot, BBTB, Euro Oil Cooler, JTD CAI Duct, RE DMS exhaust, RE Tranny mounts, CF Valve Cover, LTW flywheel/Kevlar sprung hub clutch, RE SSK, 3.46 Finned LSD (M6) , M3 tranny, Brembos, RE Wheel Studs, SS brake/clutch lines, CF interior, Rear Headrest retrofit, Tilt Steering retrofit, 13.5 lb DynaBatt in rear, LED interior/footwell lights, ZKW HID, Headlight Aim Control, Rear fog light w/cluster indicator, CF 3 Aux gauge pod, BMW Traffic Pro/Alpine MP3-CD Changer, Staggered LTW wheels, '95 M3 steering rack, VIS CF Hood, M3 LTW Strut Bar, TCK SA coilovers, Red LTW Motorsport Seatbelts, OEM Fire Extinguisher, Z8 Starter button, Auto dim rear view mirror w/ Homelink/Compass, PDC, Rear Sun Shade, Euro Gauge Cluster w/oil temp/shift light , Headlight Washers, "Motorsport" Door Handles, CF Grills, French ZKW Fogs, Euro dash bins, Power Lumbar Support is next, Coming e39 M5 interior light, Bimmer Magazine 8/2007
clex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 01:12 AM   #6
cali-ti
aka Stabby

sounds like bmw specifies a more comprehensive way to do it. how much weight in each of the seats? other places likely just ignore the bmw specs.

EDIT: nm, someone else posted the info. i would more or less agree with clex2. have it aligned how you normally drive it (or what state you'd want the best handling). i would go with what clex said, me in the driver's seat and half tank of gas.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 01:24 AM   #7
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Does anyone have a procedure for doing an alignment themselves? Like a DIY aligment write up?

I know lots of people do their own alignments, just curious if it was documented somewhere.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 03:43 AM   #8
CirrusSR22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustenT
Does anyone have a procedure for doing an alignment themselves? Like a DIY aligment write up?

I know lots of people do their own alignments, just curious if it was documented somewhere.
You'd think you could come up with a way to do it on the 318ti. Front toe is really the only readily adjustable spec. on the whole car.

Google here I come.... I installed new shocks a couple months ago and I've yet to get an alignment. oops
CirrusSR22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 07:07 AM   #9
pdxmotorhead

Its best to align a car as it is normally loaded, The BMW spec assumes some average of 2 adults 1.2 kids and a Weimaraner.

If I was tracking the car I want it setup with me in it.
and a fuel load that I can reproduce...

Thats for track handling. BMW does pretty well on specs for general use.
(IMHO)

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 07:23 AM   #10
KetteringTi

I had a shop in Flint turn me down because of the weighting. They sent me to another shop, and I mentioned the weights and they said, ah it doesn't matter much, we just do the alignment. LOL
KetteringTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 07:26 AM   #11
318tiRedLeather

I heard that NTB will do them the right way
K&N Cone Filter with Heat Shield, Racing Dynamics Strut bar, Blisten yellow sport suspension, Clears all around, Angel eyes, Dinan Engine Chip, Infinity BassLink 10" Sub, Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel
318tiRedLeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 02:05 AM   #12
plimpias

Default Camber

What do you guys use for camber in the back? i currenlty have -2.2. its being changed now to -1.9. I have the H&R sports racing springs installed.
plimpias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 03:02 AM   #13
cali-ti
aka Stabby

Ireland engineering camber and toe adjustment kits. the kits are pretty cheap, but it'll take a good bit of labor to get them installed (slotted brackets need to be welded in where the trailing arms bolt to the subframe and then eccentric bolts allow adjustment). the other choice is eccentric trailing arm bushings (a number of sources). think there might be more information in the KB article on camber correction.
current mods: bilstein sports, bavauto springs, e30 m3 LCABs, solid metal ball joints, bavauto RSMs w/reinforcements, e30 3.73 LSD & halfshafts, supersprint cat-back exhaust, turner rear sway bar reinforcements, IE poly subframe & RTABs + camber/toe kits, powdercoated e36 32x front calipers, sport mirrors, H&R 28mmF/19mmR sway bars, x-brace, auto solutions SSK w/poly bushing upgrade, BMW CD43 head unit, DICE HD Radio w/iPod integration and "stealth" HD antenna, staggered style 68s, orange electronic TPMS, leather arm rest, JT Designs metal undertray

acquired and awaiting install: heated seat kit, cali top switch relo, lumbar support kit, park distance control kit, heated washer nozzle kit, m-coupe rear subframe, trailing arms, differential, and halfshafts, m-coupe front/rear brakes with master cylinder, under hood light kit, mud flaps, rear sun blind, auto-dimming rear view mirror, tilt steering wheel retrofit, apexcone 5000K HIDs with 55W ballasts

2002 X5 4.4 Sport Package, 53.5k miles
Current Mods: e46 m3 steering wheel
cali-ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 08:50 AM   #14
DeadpaN

That whole 150lb. front seats, 150lb. centered back seat, full tank of gas and whatever weight in the trunk is for measuring fender gap/checking ride height and condition of springs. Unless I read it wrong, it has nothing to do with adjusting one's alignment, just for checking ride height which in this case doesn't apply.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:01 PM   #15
robcarync

i got an alignment yesterday at a shop called European Performance....really awesome shop....cost 140 though! they never mentioned any weighting issues though...
Pioneer Speakers [] Aluminum Billet door locks [] ACS Pedals/Deadrest [] ACS Shift Knob / E-Brake Handle [] Clear Corners/Tails/Sides [] Sylvania Exterior Lighting [] Custom CAI [] Dinan Engine Chip [] Dinan Transmission Chip [] H&R Race Springs [] Tokico Illumina Shocks [] BMW X-Brace [] Relocated Lighter Mod [] Custom iPod Mod
http://www.cardomain.com/id/robcarync
robcarync is offline   Reply With Quote