318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Electrical

Notices

Electrical All wiring questions.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 95,680 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 58,618 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 56,040 Views
M50+manual swap bastard...
03-01-2024 11:00 PM
Last post by Andy318
03-18-2024 02:34 PM
3 Replies, 130,941 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 09-11-2007, 02:05 AM   #46
L84THSKY

I'm having doubts about some things regarding the OBC. Can anyone who has it stock in there cars confirm this issue. Set the OBC to MPH, and see if it tracks the MPH through different speeds. Then tell me if it reads zero when you are at a stop. Does it read accurately within a few % at all speeds?

Mine reads correct when driving between 30-70MPH. When I stop, it still says like 27MPH.

My concern is that the MPG is calculated from the MPH of the OBC, and it could be getting bad information.

In the Bentley Manual, the OBC, Wiper control and Cruise Control all get speed info from the same point off the gauge cluster. They all need speed to work correctly. I'm not convinced that the OBC is getting it's MPH info from the correct point. Maybe I need to recheck that wire.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:19 AM   #47
John Firestone

I am confused, which may be from getting up too early this morning. It reads zero when you are stopped, but reads 27 mph when you come to a stop again?

Doesn't the OBC uses the distance pulses it receives from the cluster in calculating its average MPG? I am not sure how the OBC could get the MPG right while you are moving unless that signal is good.
John Firestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:10 PM   #48
L84THSKY

It never reads zero MPH when I am stopped. It usually sits at about 27 MPH.

I wasn't sure where it gets the distance info to calculate MPG. If it uses distance pulses, then my MPG should be fine.

Why does my MPH not read accurately when moving and when stopped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Firestone View Post
I am confused, which may be from getting up too early this morning. It reads zero when you are stopped, but reads 27 mph when you come to a stop again?

Doesn't the OBC uses the distance pulses it receives from the cluster in calculating its average MPG? I am not sure how the OBC could get the MPG right while you are moving unless that signal is good.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
Old 09-11-2007, 12:26 PM   #49
championc

How do you read the actual MPG ? Are you pressing the reset button ? Mine only gives the Time, Temp, Avg Speed, Miles Remaining in Tank and MPG.

My MPG calculates at 19.0 ish but when I did a manual calculation, I worked out I was getting about 25 MPG

Cormac
championc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:39 PM   #50
L84THSKY

That's an odd question. I read miles per gallon by reading the MPG on my OBC. I have reset it before, but when I leave it be, it eventually averages out to about 25MPG.

I was only concerned about the MPG being accurate, because my MPH was NOT accurate. Since they do not use each other's info to make calculations, my MPG should be correct.

Can you answer my original question? Does your MPH (average speed...whatever you call it) read accurately when moving and when stopped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by championc View Post
How do you read the actual MPG ?

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 09-12-2007, 12:31 AM   #51
championc

My average MPH starts to reduce when I stop at lights. If you drive for a mile at 30mph and arrive at the lights and stop, it should start dropping while you are stopped but it should never go to zero since you did some distance at 30 MPH

C
Old 09-12-2007, 04:06 AM   #52
L84THSKY

I guess since it is an average, it never really reads instantaneous speed.

Quote:
In the Bentley Manual, the OBC, Wiper control and Cruise Control all get speed info from the same point off the gauge cluster.
This is a repeat, but I did not get an answer to this issue. I need to get my Cruise Control to read speed off the gauge cluster. Any one know where I should be tapping? Seems there are more than one place to get MPH/speed on the cluster.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 09-12-2007, 09:09 AM   #53
John Firestone

Per the ETM, road speed is X17 pin 2, .5 SW/WS (black/white). Personally, I would use a comb terminal to splice in at junction X188, supposedly on the left side of the driver's footwell.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:37 PM   #54
L84THSKY

I just looked at the OEM retrofit instructions, that wire was part of my install. I connected black/white to X188 on the fan connector.

The dealer said the C.C. computer isn't reading the speed from the gauge cluster. That could only mean the connection is bad. I doubt the cluster is bad. That speed indicator wire must be used for other features that are working. correctly.

Do you see the OBC, C.C. and wiper regulator all using that same black/white wire in your ETM?

Quote:
Per the ETM, road speed is X17 pin 2, .5 SW/WS (black/white). Personally, I would use a comb terminal to splice in at junction X188, supposedly on the left side of the driver's footwell.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 09-12-2007, 03:05 PM   #55
championc

Given that you get an average, you can only get an instantaneous reading the second you reset it. I will have a go tomorrow driving at 10 mph constant and see if it reads off as 10 MPH. I will try other speeds too.

I know from my GPS that the dial is over by 5mph so it will be interesting to see what speed it gives me.

Cormac
Old 09-12-2007, 04:31 PM   #56
John Firestone

here you go
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	ti_x188.jpg Views:	307 Size:	43.2 KB ID:	4369  
Old 09-12-2007, 05:23 PM   #57
L84THSKY

I'll take a look at that fan connector again, when I get the chance. I know I had to make a jumper to an added fan connector on some wires, because the fan connector was full.

If the OBC is using that wire, but only displays average speed, then the input to the OBC is instantaneous, and the displayed value is average.

I'm just trying to be sure the gauge cluster is outputting correct, and my problem is only at the fan connector.

Quote:
here you go

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 09-12-2007, 06:25 PM   #58
John Firestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84THSKY View Post
I'm just trying to be sure the gauge cluster is outputting correct, and my problem is only at the fan connector.
I expect your cruise control would feel like it was acting up if the cluster were outputting a bad speed signal.

Quote:
I know I had to make a jumper to an added fan connector on some wires, because the fan connector was full.
Just so long as you don't use those evil Scotchlok IDCs....
Old 09-12-2007, 06:55 PM   #59
L84THSKY

I have never gotten the Cruise Control to work yet, it's being retrofitted. Acting up would mean atleast it's working. I have not gotten any positive confirmation about any function of the Cruise Control working yet. Until I get the speed sensor wire working to the C.C. computer, it's totally useless.

Quote:
I expect your cruise control would feel like it was acting up if the cluster were outputting a bad speed signal.

Just so long as you don't use those evil Scotchlok IDCs....

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
Old 09-12-2007, 08:07 PM   #60
John Firestone

The E36/2-E36/4 cruise controls are fairly sensitive to the road speed signal. In fact, I used mine and a ZZKE controller I was testing against it, to expose a software bug in my OBC's instantaneous speed calculations! It doesn't become significant until you pass roughly 150 km/h / 95 mph.

In another test, the cruise control revealed some jitter I had introduced into the vehicle speed signal that you could just see in the speedometer needle if you watched it carefully. The speedometer, BTW, makes a pretty good frequency meter.