318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Electrical

Notices

Electrical All wiring questions.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 990,355 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 09-18-2006, 05:08 AM   #1
IV318

Default Remote start and push button?

I have a push button ignition and I was wondering if anyone that has that has also installed a remote start. what problems if any might arise.
IV318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:38 AM   #2
John Firestone

Well, since you ask: engine wear from idling cold, noise and air pollution, and unintended, autonomous self-propulsion.
John Firestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:42 AM   #3
IV318

these Do not concern me. I mean Intstallation/wiring problems.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:23 AM   #4
John Firestone

Motorslaughter.

The last one might concern you if you have a manual transmission. You want to be sure the remote starter can not start the engine unless the car is in neutral.

If you have a later model 'ti, you'll also need to leave behind a key or transponder near the ignition to defeat the EWS-II drive away protection. That would be something of a problem in Germany since the system has been proven to be a quite effective theft deterent.

It never hurts to give the particulars about the car when asking installation and repair questions.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:33 AM   #5
aceyx

Isn't Georgia warm?

Idling is possibly the worst way to warm up your motor. Just drive gently under 3k revs until it warms up.

You have the added benefit of warming up the transmission at the same time (won't happen on idling alone).
Old 09-20-2006, 04:09 AM   #6
IV318

my ti is a 96 auto and Im planning a 328 Engine/ manual tranny swap. It is not my plan to use the remote start to warm the engine its more of a toy than for function. the remote start is part of a pakage I'm getting with an alrm keyless entry and remote window controls. My friend and I are doing the installation ourselves to save a little $$$. the chip encoded key was my biggest worry because I dont know whether or not the remote start will work without the key in the ignition. if it doesnt than that defeats the purpose of the remote start. I don't knw. oh, and I have already looked into a sensor that Will Not let the car start when not in neutral.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:32 AM   #7
John Firestone

It appears you have already researched these issues pretty well. I am sympathetic to people who like to teach their old dog new tricks.

Seeing as you are in Georgia, rather than a remote engine start, have you considered adding something more practical and perhaps just as much fun to show off -- remote control park ventilation? I have helped a few friends and colleagues adapt remote starter units to do that and also run auxiliary heating/ventilation systems. Park ventilation is a feature on the 5er, 7er and other 3ers that runs the passenger compartment blower for 30 minutes to cool down the interior before you climb in. It is quite rare to find on a compact. Almost everyone who has it, has it as part of an add on, auxiliary, heating/ventilation system.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:41 AM   #8
L84THSKY

That sounds pretty cool, no pun intended. I have the BMWalarm.com system in my car. Can this be done using my alarm/remote system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Firestone View Post
have you considered adding something more practical and perhaps just as much fun to show off -- remote control parked ventilation? I have helped a few friends and colleagues adapt remote starter units to do that and also run auxiliary heating/ventilation systems. Park ventilation is a feature on the 5er, 7er and other 3ers that runs the passenger compartment blower for 30 minutes to cool down the interior before you climb in. It is quite rare to find on a compact. Almost everyone who has it, has it as part of an add on, auxiliary, heating/ventilation system.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood
L84THSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:38 AM   #9
John Firestone

It would be a bit of a challenge since I believe the BMW/Alpine alarm/remote doesn't have any accessory channels. It is much easier to start with a remote engine starter/alarm -- which has the logic to run the blower for 20-30 minutes and the range -- and add some simple electronics to convince it that it is running the engine when in fact it is running the passenger compartment fan. That's what we did for a couple cars.

Alternatively, you could add a 30 minute timer to a remote/alarm with an accessory output and run the blower that way. That's what I do in my ZZKE controller. It also tilts open the sunroof for greater efficiency.