318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Exterior

Notices

Exterior From spoilers, lights to body kits and window problems.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 961,940 Views
looove
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
Last post by RichardBug
04-16-2024 01:18 PM
0 Replies, 1,887 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 09-13-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
Lachlan

Vehicles
Default M-Tech Spoiler

Hey guys!

Firstly, my name is Lachlan, and I'm really excited to be a part of this community with other 316i/318ti enthusiasts. I'm new to BMW's. I purchased my first car, a 1995 BMW 316i slightly over a year ago, and I absolutely love it. Anyway, back on topic

I just purchased a brand new M-Tech spoiler for my compact. I heard they were relatively hard to find, and I had always liked them, so I snapped it up as soon as I saw it.

I'm just after some advice for anyone else here who has installed one of these. I'm not sure of the procedure, and am tempted to get the part installed professionally (depending on how difficult installation is).

Also, where is the best place to purchase the other parts needed (#2, #3 and #5) for installation? They're listed on realoem.com here. I found the parts listed on getbmwparts.com, but I'm just after advice from those who've already got experience in this area.

Thanks again,
Lachlan.
Lachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

I've seen a few people drill holes in their hatch and bolt them on. However, I've seen more people glue them on with some sort of adhesive or double sided tape. Personally, I recommend gluing it on with windshield adhesive. Not the type of adhesive that glues rear view mirrors to the windshield, but the type of adhesive that glues the windshield to the car. Mirror adhesive is like superglue. It dries hard and is very brittle. Windshield adhesive is rubbery. Body shops use it to seal body panel seams and glue moldings onto painted surfaces. Here in the US, we have a product made by Dow Automotive called BetaSeal and another product by 3M called WindoWeld. Both of those products are strong enough to hold the spoiler on. getBMWparts, pelicanparts and autohausAZ will certainly have the best pricing here in the states, however shipping to Australia may be expensive. Surely there's a BMW part supplier closer to you.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
roadrash
That's not Millpoint Blue

Vehicles

Regarding attachment method... I was driving behind a ratty-looking car with a spoiler one day and thought to myself, "How would I feel about that spoiler coming off and hitting my windshield? And conversely, how would I feel about MY spoiler coming off and hitting someone else?" That was the moment I decided to bolt on my M-Tech spoiler rather than using just adhesive. However, that option was available to me because my spoiler still had the mounting bolts intact. If your mounting bolts have been cut off, it'll be simpler to use one of the "sticky" methods previously mentioned.

Regarding the M-Tech logo... I bought mine new, it's the same thing as the one on the side molding. You will need to peel the actual logo off of a piece of plastic then re-stick that onto the spoiler. I think I posted a little more info than that in a thread of mine somewhere.

Mods 'n' stuff: Star Spoke 43 wheels - X-Brace - Mason Engineering front strut brace - CF gauge overlay - ZHP shifter knob - Racing Dynamics cat-back - Doubled brake lights - M-tech rear spoiler
From Page 68 of the 1997 Owners Manual: "Vehicles equipped with ASC+T remain subject to the laws of physics."
roadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:35 AM   #4
thesk8nmidget

i attached mine with very strong 3M double sided adhesive, i could lift my hatch just by the spoiler i could tug on it and it was very very hard to remove when i went to sell it, i see no reason to put holes in your hatch if you dont have to.

this thing doesnt get much force on it from the wind.
Current- 1995 318ti, sport model, schwartz
thesk8nmidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:10 AM   #5
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Imagine sitting in your car and putting your feet against the windshield. Imagine the amount of force that it would take to push the windshield out. The glass would break before the adhesive let go. Just sayin. I know bolting it on is the right way to mount it, but should you ever decide that you don't like it, someone decides to steal it, or you want to sell it for crack money, well then you have holes to deal with.

Edit; just to clarify, I was refering to the strength of the windshield adhesive. It's really really strong stuff. And it dries rubbery.

Last edited by cooljess76; 09-14-2011 at 06:34 AM.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:17 AM   #6
tiFreak

Vehicles

most of the windforce that it would get is going to push down on it anyway, it's not going to really lift it at all
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #7
Biolite

One thing I would strongly recommend when installing the spoiler, it to make sure you install the gasket that goes around the bottom edges. This should come in the kit. You might want to find a thicker one than the provided gasket/foam. One of its main functions is to keep water from pooling under the spoiler. In the winter this is a problem. I had the gasket on mine, but it shrunk or something and I came out one morning in the winter to broken spoiler from what freezing underneath and breaking the stud out of the spoiler. Fixed it with some nice epoxy, and you can't even tell, but just a word of caution.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:32 PM   #8
Lachlan

Vehicles

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

I've decided I want to avoid drilling holes into the body, so I think I'll try cooljess76's method with windshield adhesive. It sounds like a concrete method, and I won't be causing any damages to the body of my car. I'm going to get in contact with my dealer, and get a quote to see what the best move is. Also, thanks to Biolite for that advice! I'll keep it in mind before instalation!

I have another question, currently, I have a rear roof spoiler/wing installed, which replicates the image below.

Do you think it would be too much if I install the M-Tech Spoiler with the rear/roof spoiler as-well? Have any of you seen a 318ti with both spoilers installed?
Old 09-16-2011, 01:34 AM   #9
tiFreak

Vehicles

I've seen a few ti's with a roof and trunk lid spoiler, I think that they're subtle looking enough that it won't look gaudy with both installed
Old 09-16-2011, 02:25 AM   #10
Platanos

I also have both oem spoilers. I have not installed them yet though. I ordered the roof spoiler new for the dealer. It came with an adhesive for installation. I did a mock up fit with both spoilers. I didn't like how they looked together but they weren't exactly fitted perfectly. I haven't found any pics of another ti with both yet. I don't think I'll be installing my spoilers for quite some time yet. So you'll have to be the guinea pig...
Old 09-16-2011, 02:26 AM   #11
Platanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiFreak View Post
I've seen a few ti's with a roof and trunk lid spoiler, I think that they're subtle looking enough that it won't look gaudy with both installed
Got any pics?
Old 09-16-2011, 03:51 AM   #12
tiFreak

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platanos View Post
Got any pics?
of course now that I look for them I can't find many

here's some of Marvs with a Rieger roof spoiler and AC Schnitzer trunk spoiler
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showpost....3&postcount=96

almost didn't realize this was you before I posted it M-tech roof spoiler and Hartge trunk spoiler for those who don't know
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showpost....34&postcount=9
Old 09-19-2011, 08:21 AM   #13
Lachlan

Vehicles

My spoiler just arrived today it took just under a week to get here, and considering it was sent from the UK I was pretty impressed.

Thanks for posting the links guys I've taken a look at them, and I'm going through with installing the M-Tech spoiler with my roof spoiler. As tiFreak said, they're subtle enough to install both of them.

Unfortunately, currently my car is at the work shop getting the seating refurbished, and won't be back until tomorrow afternoon. I am getting my front and rear bumpers, and side skirts colour coated white later in the week, so I'll get the spoiler painted at the same time (Why BMW manufactured vehicles without their bumpers and side skirts colour coated in the first place is unknown to me). Hopefully, the other parts needed for the spoiler installation will have arrived by then and I'll be able to install it at once. If anybody is interested, I'll be sure to post some photos after the respray/installation .
Old 09-21-2011, 08:15 AM   #14
Lachlan

Vehicles

I was able to realise first hand, how expensive BMW dealers can be. I listed the part numbers of the parts I needed for the M-Tech spoiler. He couldn't give me a complete quote, but did say it would cost me between $AU150-$AU160 for the 'M' badge. I think I'll buy all my parts online .
Old 09-21-2011, 04:07 PM   #15
lazoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
I was able to realise first hand, how expensive BMW dealers can be. I listed the part numbers of the parts I needed for the M-Tech spoiler. He couldn't give me a complete quote, but did say it would cost me between $AU150-$AU160 for the 'M' badge. I think I'll buy all my parts online .
Online is the best way to purchase since the dealer in most cases has higher prices.

1984 BMW 323i E30 BAUR (Euro)
1989 BMW 325i E30
1998 318ti E36

Join us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/318tiorg/127481623988696

Last edited by lazoh; 09-21-2011 at 06:13 PM.
lazoh is offline   Reply With Quote