318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Technical, Maintenance and Modifications > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Springs, sway bars, shocks.

» Recent Threads
The 318ti OBD-II engine...
10-19-2006 06:48 PM
Last post by Filiski120
04-24-2024 06:40 PM
210 Replies, 987,069 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 01-20-2012, 03:42 AM   #1
romp&riot

Vehicles
Default Rally build

Looking to put in the strongest suspension known to man. I have a tendency to wear suspensions prematurely... The question is whether its better to get a super awesome buff as s*** system for more $$, or just go cheap and expect to replace it soonish... boring! but something to think about.

I've been eyeing the
D2 Coilovers - http://www.sfmperformanceparts.com/p...=443&year=2002
and
KSport Coilovers - http://www.caraccessories2go.com/pro...px?gfid=c21343

I heard adjustable camber is something to really pay attention to... Thoughts?
romp&riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
spidertri

Vehicles

Are you actually going to be competing in rallies? Dave Kern has a rally build thread on here that you should read through. There are absolutely better suspension options than those. They probably won't be "bolt right up" solutions but they will last and perform better than cheap coilovers.

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28728

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
slow_ti

I love my D2 coils. But I have played around with the spring rates for my personal liking. I also have TC Kline springs in the rear. I don't know how good they will do for rally though
Old 01-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
romp&riot

Vehicles

I have no intention of competing at all. I'm not that awesome I just want something substantial that will put up with my driving. Not looking for performance gain, just durability. I had actually thought of getting a baja bug instead of the 318. Really want a small, fast ride I can plow over dips, bumps, and the occasional curb or median The baja didn't fit the fast part of the bill. Anyhow, I know I need to tone it down in the 318, but habits die hard... I pretty much rally all my rides on LA streets! Or more aptly, demo derby! I had a 328i and replaced the suspension twice in 3 years...
I have been keeping up with Daves posts on several forums, but he hasn't really named names in regards to suspension, but his strut tower mod is EPIC! Plus he's riding a little higher than stock ~1". I'd really like a higher clearance, but when messing with height, everything can go out of whack!
Slow-Ti, whats in your setup?
Spidertri - I'm hoping for a bolt right up setup. I fabbed my jeep and well, its a nightmare How do you feel about a ground control setup? I might be able to get a bit more clearance with that?

Last edited by romp&riot; 01-20-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
mreroc

Vehicles

I have no info for ya, but will be interested to see what you settle with. I've been interested in raising mine as I take on the dirt forest roads around here. Another inch will open up miles of roads I haven't hit in awhile.
mreroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #6
spidertri

Vehicles

The problem with most coils is that they shorten the shock bodies to accommodate the shorter springs. What about using bilstein HDs and stock non sport springs?

What did you have on your 328?

Edit - you can get thicker (or stack) spring pads in the rear to raise the ride height. Stock front is pretty tall already.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM

Last edited by spidertri; 01-20-2012 at 07:02 PM.
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
romp&riot

Vehicles

I had an M suspension dumped on there The 328 and working on my Jeep taught me to look to aftermarket especially when dealing with suspension mods that m suspension was $$$$! I'm going to contact the D2 and KSport peeps to see what the differences are. Looks like the cost difference from stock to beefier is pretty negligible I'm also going to talk to my local BMW guru to see what he thinks. I think he'll be disgusted and laugh at me! Good to see that others are interested in mobbing on their 318's!
Finally got the motor back together last night and took her to work today. Running strong, but now have an idle issue At least it's running well enough for me to start thinking about the FUN stuff!
Old 01-22-2012, 12:08 AM   #8
NiteOp

Vehicles

The inverted stuff is stronger, and since your not actually rally'ng you dont have to worry about seal failure as rapidly with those two companies. If you got some travel specs you could compare them to the TI to see if you would actually gain anything over stock or atleast the Bilstien HD.
Suspensions where out early when they are lowered cause they are not in the travel range, so seals/pistons...etc have the frequency increase by stiffer springs and over a shorter range of motion. i would know since everything I own is too low...lol
NiteOp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:30 AM   #9
romp&riot

Vehicles

<--- newbie. Inverted??? Is that coilover?
At this point I'm looking for some stock base springs and pairing them with Bilstein HD's, and possibly throwing a shim/spacer in there. I think I've got the stock sport setup on there now, so with the non sport and spacers I think I'll sit about 1-2" higher. That would be about $800. Would the coilovers be better for what I'm looking for? I'll sacrifice ride height for durability anyday!
What else should I be looking at getting? Bushings for sure, but anything else?
Old 01-22-2012, 05:02 AM   #10
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

This is just silly. If you plan on going over curbs and such, struts and springs are going to be the last of your worries. You're looking at bent control arms, trailing arms, snapped motor mounts and all sorts of other stuff. Sell the BMW and buy a Jeep.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:12 AM   #11
NiteOp

Vehicles
Default guessing

mostly I would get stuff from Ireland engineering, Bimmerbum stocks everything. their nonadjustable camber might help you because it spaces up the front, but it permanently cambers the front. They have thicker rear spacers also, someone else does as well but i forget who. toe adjuster from them might be usefully because as u raise the rear the static toe changes. the rest just standard car stuff.

Rally cars and some road race cars run inverted to move the heaviest and hottest part of the strut away from the wheel and because the wider tubing riding on a nylon sleeve is less likely to bend. A street Ti will not need more strength than the shaft width of the Bilstein HD.

http://www.pfadtracing.com/photos/da...Comparison.jpg
Old 01-22-2012, 05:17 AM   #12
teetime4one

Vehicles

^^ lol
i don't think there are many options for this car except Fox off-road racing coilovers with remote reservoirs. and that still might miss the mark...but give it a try!

Sean
1995 Active
teetime4one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:21 AM   #13
NiteOp

Vehicles

i understand driving in LA, traffic, squeezing in and out of places unseen potholes, but if you do anything more than 2 or 3 inches you might as well just throw it away.

Last edited by NiteOp; 01-22-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #14
romp&riot

Vehicles

Thanks for the suggestions! I know I'll have to tone it down in this one - no, it's not my Jeep I still want a sturdier suspension. I didn't all out mob on the 328, the worst it saw was that stupid dip near work and the occasional high speed tour of Portuguese Bend... Still, it ate suspensions like crazy! I don't expect any suspension to be bullet proof, especially with my driving, but I do expect it to last more than a year! My Honda saw more abuse, almost as much as the Jeep on road, and all I did was replace the shocks once. Just want one that will withstand the beatings of rough roads, forget the medians
So is going with new stock springs and Bilstein HD's a retarded idea? I'm also considering the H&R coilovers.
And YES! I'd love to be able to dump those Fox's on. Those are on my buddies pre-runner setup, and they pay off quickly in the desert! But that setup would be more than I paid for the car...

Last edited by romp&riot; 01-22-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:37 PM   #15
NiteOp

Vehicles

The control arms will bend before the shafts on the Bilstein HD (depending on the angle of impact). springs are always an issue. because no one makes a stiffer stock height spring. you could run 1995 M3 (or e36 sedan) springs all the way around. the rear would raise up and the front has not been measured to raise but it may rise a little.

Last edited by NiteOp; 01-22-2012 at 11:40 PM.