318ti.org forum

Go Back   318ti.org forum > Garage > Lounge

Notices

Lounge Temporary forum until new sections are suggested.

» Recent Threads
1999 M-Sport For Sale
12-31-2023 05:10 PM
Last post by Coop540iT
03-23-2024 06:39 PM
1 Replies, 98,692 Views
Once again 318ti owner...
03-20-2024 12:39 PM
Last post by two30grain
03-22-2024 02:04 PM
1 Replies, 61,545 Views
What brakes do I...
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
Last post by huirtera
03-20-2024 03:27 PM
0 Replies, 58,926 Views
Reply Share/Bookmark

Old 07-16-2010, 02:14 AM   #1
bird67

Default PIX ADDED!!! New ti owner saying hello

I wasn't sure where to introduce myself, but Administrator's welcome message says Lounge...so here I am. BMW past history: e30 convertible, e36 convertible, e46 xiT (all manual transmisisons). BMWs currently: e36/7 coupe, e46 xi, and now...e36 ti. My son is off to his second year of college. I had told him he could have his mom's old Toyota wagon this year. Lame...but he's a good kid and was grateful to have it. He's away for the summer...and while he's been away I've been scouring the internet looking for something a bit more interesting. I found my '98 318ti in Virginia. One owner, originally from Arizona and Texas, Virginia for last 11 years. Original papers, manuals, keys. Well kept. 140k miles. Black exterior, dove interior. I can't tell you which model ti. Manual transmission. I bought it sight unseen, flew down, and drove it home (700 miles). Mechanically it needs nothing, I may put a new alternator in it as it still sports the original. Computer says I was getting 40 mpg all the way home at 70 mph, math says it was darned close to that. Upgrades so far: - installed an new headliner (material from fabric store), a-pillars and sunroof motor cover. Removed, cleaned, recovered and reinstalled sunroof. - Installed DICE iPod adaptor (removed it from my z3, I rarely used it) and ran the wiring into the glove box. - Exchanged c33 for cd43 I had sitting on my shelf. - Exchanged 4 spoke steering wheel for 3 spoke M wheel. I had an extra set of tabs (red!) that I painted the bronze-beige accent color to match the interior. - Installed euro headlights with glass covers and HID low beams, 4300k color, no angel eyes. - Had the local Dent Wizard work his wizardry on the few dings. Still to go: - airbag light (pre-dated the new steering wheel) - buff crud off the wheels - treat the paint to some clay and buff CAN'T WAIT to pick my son up at the airport in this car in two weeks! It will be nighttime, and my other two bmw's are also black, so I am curious how long it will be before he notices! And then to find out it's for him to take to school....ahh. Priceless. YES: I KNOW THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS. I will post them this weekend (at my indy getting inspection sticker tomorrow).

Last edited by bird67; 07-18-2010 at 10:56 PM.
bird67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:32 AM   #2
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Welcome to the forum bird. Nice thing you're doing for your son, I'm sure he'll be grateful.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:32 AM   #3
spidertri

Vehicles

Hah, awesome. Sounds like you have been having a lot of fun with the new ti. If the cooling system hasn't been replaced now is a great time to do it (not winter/freezing, and not exploded yet...). Definitely post pics and post pics of the Z3 Coupe too.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:42 AM   #4
eshtebah

Ahhhh, what a lucky kid, what a great Dad.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:42 AM   #5
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
Hah, awesome. Sounds like you have been having a lot of fun with the new ti. If the cooling system hasn't been replaced now is a great time to do it (not winter/freezing, and not exploded yet...). Definitely post pics and post pics of the Z3 Coupe too.
+1 on replacing the cooling system. The whole system can be replaced for under 400 bucks and done over a weekend. There's two plastic coolant fittings that are known to break @ around 150k, the system dumps almost instantaniously and if you're not looking at the temp gauge at that very moment and it overheats for just a few seconds, the headgasket will fail or become significantly weakened. The radiator also cracks at the seam where the expansion tank mounts on the side, sometimes so small or under the expansion tank where you can't see the leak. This allows coolant to escape unnoticed, eventually allowing an air bubble to form in the radiator which restricts circulation, yet still reading full at the expansion tank. And finally, it's recommended that any time you open the cooling system loop for maintenance, whether you're replacing a component or just topping it off, you should bleed the system of air. There's a special procedure for doing this, you can find the article in the knowledge base section of this forum.
cooljess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:18 AM   #6
RAiMA

Welcome to the forums You're an awesome dad
BMW E39 528i Touring
Performance at its best
RAiMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:09 AM   #7
bird67

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
Great thought on the cooling system, I am new to BMW's 4 cyl variants. Is there a thread or post somewhere I can view (I own the Bentley for e36, which I understand is partly non-ti, does it deal with cooling system effectively?)?

Will post pix this w/e, along with pix of the Z3. It's one-of-a-kind. Among other mods, having started with a "base" 2.8, I stripped out the stock console with the digital clock and no gauges and replaced with a full console and gauge set from an M. The seats are pumpkin leather and I recovered a number of other components in the car with leather that matches, replaced the 4 spoke with a 3 spoke M wheel (hmm...sounds familiar). And, recently, I was given a parting gift from a volunteer organization with which I worked for a while - a Dinan strut brace as jewelry for the underhood. No clock or plaque for me. Ha.

So thanks for the welcome, I will up pix asap. I owe this list that much, having scoured it and found answers for most of my noob questions about the car. In repayment, I have already posted the "fix" for the dreaded gas gauge-temp gauge-OBC simultaneous fail. It worked perfectly.
bird67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
chudzikb

+2 on the cooling system. First thing I did on mine. Was a PITA, but with some patience it can get done. Oil filter housing should be done at this time as it is easier with it all apart, and it just kind of snowballs from there.

I'll be in Maine in a week, I'll be looking for you!
chudzikb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:27 PM   #9
cultureslayer

Will you adopt me?
cultureslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:37 PM   #10
ti-billy

WOW!!!! what a great Dad you are!!!!! your son will be so stoked...and welcome to the forum.....again you're one hell of a Dad!!!!
1996 318ti base: m44, 5 spd, lsd - 18x8 bremmer kraft wheels w/sumitumo tires 225/40R18 & bmw locking lug studs, 10mm spacers in rear, halo headlights, cold air intake, koni str.t struts and shocks w/mounts, h&r sport springs, serp belts, control arm & tie rod kits, front sway bar links, JVC kd-x50bt headunit w/ipod hook up in the glove box, alpine sps-500(front and rear), jl audio 10" powerwedge max, jl audio 250.1 amp, motor mounts, fuel filter, passenger side window motor, drivers lower window run, muffler hanger kit, various interior bulbs, left door striker/ajar switch, lower hood latches, changed from gray vinal to black leather shift and parking brake boots, m3 weighted shift knob, ngk-r spark plugs, magnecor spark plug wires(blue),new cabin micro-filters,new headliner & a-pillar mouldings, 5w20 synth-blend oil and filter, BG Ultra Guard syn. rear end fluid & ls additive, BG Syncro Shift II syn. manual trans fluids, stainless steel braided brake lines and dot 4 fluid, extra brake light mod, new p/s reservoir and rubber hoses

need to do - fix door panels, paint job, MORE MONEY!!
ti-billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:47 PM   #11
spidertri

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird67 View Post
Great thought on the cooling system, I am new to BMW's 4 cyl variants. Is there a thread or post somewhere I can view (I own the Bentley for e36, which I understand is partly non-ti, does it deal with cooling system effectively?)?

Will post pix this w/e, along with pix of the Z3. It's one-of-a-kind. Among other mods, having started with a "base" 2.8, I stripped out the stock console with the digital clock and no gauges and replaced with a full console and gauge set from an M. The seats are pumpkin leather and I recovered a number of other components in the car with leather that matches, replaced the 4 spoke with a 3 spoke M wheel (hmm...sounds familiar). And, recently, I was given a parting gift from a volunteer organization with which I worked for a while - a Dinan strut brace as jewelry for the underhood. No clock or plaque for me. Ha.

So thanks for the welcome, I will up pix asap. I owe this list that much, having scoured it and found answers for most of my noob questions about the car. In repayment, I have already posted the "fix" for the dreaded gas gauge-temp gauge-OBC simultaneous fail. It worked perfectly.
Honestly, I have the digital version of the bentley and I really only use it for torque values. It has some good info but a lot of "facts" in it aren't totally correct.

CirrusSR22 put a great write up in the knowledge base here:
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18066

and CoolJess76/Wolferj have a good bleed procedure here:
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27983

and like Chudzikb said, its a good time to fix the oil filter housing bush/gasket if that is leaking, write up by dave45056 here:
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20854

Sounds like a cool coupe, from what I understand the "base" coupes are rarer than the M coupes.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:59 PM   #12
Recon427

I think you might know this already, seeing as how you have so many other BMW's.

But the best website for parts is: www.autohausaz.com

Free shipping over $50. Excellent prices and they have never failed me.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:15 PM   #13
Mystikal

Awesome story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird67 View Post
Cool, I really want to see pics of your interior. I'm an ex-Ti guy (had a '96 M-Sport, swapped an M52 in it and ran a 14.3...best winter car ever) who now drives an S54 M Roadster as a daily. Ironically I also have a Dinan brace.
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #14
amancuso

Wow thats pretty awesome. My dad did a similar thing for me too when I graduated HS.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:54 AM   #15
tiFreak

Vehicles

welcome, sounds like an awesome car for your son, my dad bought me my ti too and I was pretty grateful just getting it bone-stock, rusty and dented, your son should love that ti
tiFreak is offline   Reply With Quote